No announcement yet.

Incentives for Reading Parent Handbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. It's not my job to make the parents read the handbook. I know my policies and uphold them - it's their problem (literally) if they don't read it.

Although I'm stealing Blackcat's "Failure to read the handbook..." idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
      Don't know about incentives, but I have been tempted to add something insane in the middle of the handbook...

"Every Friday at pick-up clients are to strip naked and run around their car three times with a feather up their nose while singing The Wheels on the Bus. Then payment checks must be presented to the provider in a yellow envelope while standing on one leg"

I will for sure get it back with the bottom signed "I have read and understand the policies of the daycare and agree to follow such policies"
      Not on the handbook, but I used to do things like this on the daily reports (with a mom I loved, but she wasn't always on top of things :P )
      I did one that said "Please remember to bring me a purple mini van tomorrow" Or "Had dog food and pasta for lunch" Or "had 15 time outs for climbing on the roof" She never said a word about any of them

Comment

Don't offer incentives. We have a parent meeting at the beginning of the school year , parents sign off on having received the book and when they question something (late fees usually) it's all there and on them. Another common complaint, if you pull your child you have 7 days to collect their belongings , otherwise they are property of the daycare

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzii View Post
          Don't offer incentives. We have a parent meeting at the beginning of the school year , parents sign off on having received the book and when they question something (late fees usually) it's all there and on them. Another common complaint, if you pull your child you have 7 days to collect their belongings , otherwise they are property of the daycare
          Most of us are home/group childcare providers, not school based... i'll stick to my method thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jenboo View Post
            Families get one week vacation at half price per calendar year..... i never tell them about it...it's only in my handbook. It's only been used twice.
            Do you get asked about vacation time during the interview process? I do all the time, I would have a hard time not telling them the truth. What do you say when if they ask?

Comment

Not for handbooks, but I have noticed more people read my contract since I updated it. I have it broken into sections with about 4-5 points that they sign at the bottom of EACH section. Also, they are almost always more likely if I have blanks for them to fill in. I have had much less issues with people not reading it.

Comment

I agree with one of the PP, I don't do incentives. The real incentive is that there will be no surprises for the parents when I enforce my rules

But, I did have a parent do this to me! I have an 8 page enrollment packet the state requires for each child. When I enrolled siblings, the dad put something ridiculous in the middle of both their packets. On one, he wrote something like Xxx is afraid of the John Brown doll. I was like WTF?!::

I asked them about it, and he laughed and was like oh you do read it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzii View Post
                  Parent meetings would be similiar to interviews... info is provided to families but that still doesn't guarantee they read or retain any of what you said.

The incentives motivate parents to read information in some cases and/or provide proof for the provider the parent did or didn't read in other cases.

I agree that all necessary info is in the handbook but that doesnt stop parents from asking you first verses reading.
                  Its easier..

Comment

I have a 3-step interview process and go over the handbook/contract word for word. I have a copy and they have a copy at the time, but with clients today.....they hear you but they don't listen with the understanding that the info pertains to them. I am amazed EVERY DAY at the questions I get. I also get tired of that 'deer in the headlights' look when I hand toys/food back to the parent some mornings. No matter how consistent I am with my replies, some clients never seem to get it.

Comment

I know a lot of providers don't do incentives (and like I said, I understand the reasoning why ), I was just looking for feedback from the providers that do offer incentives.

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I like the idea of including a hidden phrase in the handbook.

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
                        Most of us are home/group childcare providers, not school based... i'll stick to my method thank you

As am I.
                        Just wanted to clarify, since you may have questioned my experience.

This is a group family home daycare. We have 12 children daily and they range in age from 2 months to 4 years.

I may have jumped the gun (do not remember) but I was answering to whether or not we used incentives.

OP, I think you got A LOT of great suggestions! I especially like the silly ones (running around the car specifically!) And hope all works out well!

I also realized that when I wrote my reply the word "I" did not type. I didn't mean for it to come off as "don't do this" rather "I don't do this"

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
                          They don't read contracts either... I know most my families read the policies online because they question one or two each & every time I interview, but the contract - not so much

I actually have a sentence in my contract stating if a parent shows me the particular sentence that states the discount at the time they sign, I deduct $10 right then & there from first fee... haven't done it yet because the last 2 people didn't ask/show me the statement.
                          I correct that... the last 3 families that signed didn't catch it, and the 4th one that read the contract declined to show the next day & pay the deposit. My spots might be filled, but I have yet to deduct that $10

Comment

Working...
                          X