Cloth Diaper Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heart12 View Post
    This. Its not sanitary to rinse in the sink. I had a family that used cloth diapers & wipes & they told me they had some sort of contraption that allows them to spray it all into the toilet at home.
    It's called a diaper sprayer, they are like $45 and AMAZING. I only use it on diapers where the poo does not plop off. I would expect a provider to do this though, it sometimes sprays back at you, it's the worst thing you do as a cloth diapering parent. The dirty diapers should go home with the parent to clean.

Comment

How exactly do you incorporate CD in DC?

Not sure if this should be it's own thread but there's already a ton on cloth diapers so eh...

I'm interested in doing cloth diapers only for daycare - I'd provide all the diapering needs instead of having parents supply their own diapers regularly. (FWIW - I'm due with a baby myself and want to do CD either way so some things I'll be buying irregardless of whether I do it for DC or not.)

I read about how other providers do this and charge an extra fee. I like that idea but going a step further and basically requiring it for any diapered kids and having the add'l cost built into my rates. Pros - little to zero tracking of whose is whose, no need to separately store DCK's diapers, less items for parents to bring. Cons - higher rates for parents, higher initial cost for me..

Anyways, has anyone done this before?

If so, how do you handle parents who use disposable diapers at home? I figure I should change the child right before pick up into a disposable diaper, so my CD stash never goes home but want to see if anyone has other ideas (to possibly avoid having to still keep a variety of disposables on hand for each child not using CD at home).

Also... if a parent does CD at home, should I use my stash or theirs? Pros/cons? I like the idea of my own for several reasons (make sure they get properly washed or stripped, no tracking whose is whose). If I use theirs, then I'm doing extra sorting of dirty diapers and storage of wet bags.

And then there's a diapering service in my area that looks pretty slick.. Has anyone done this for DC? Without this service, it's going to take a lot more of my time to prep all the diapers I need.. I suppose it's all in how much work I want to do and how much higher rates parents are willing to pay, which I have no clue as of now :confused:

BC, if you're reading this in another thread you mentioned "the licensing rule in my state says I can not rinse diapers in a sink used for food prep or handwashing so it would have to be a laundry tub/sink or sink JUST for diaper rinsing." Do you know, would licensing allow them to be rinsed in the toilet with a sprayer? Any info on how cloth wipes fit into our state licensing?

TIA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Max View Post
        Not sure if this should be it's own thread but there's already a ton on cloth diapers so eh...

I'm interested in doing cloth diapers only for daycare - I'd provide all the diapering needs instead of having parents supply their own diapers regularly. (FWIW - I'm due with a baby myself and want to do CD either way so some things I'll be buying irregardless of whether I do it for DC or not.)

I read about how other providers do this and charge an extra fee. I like that idea but going a step further and basically requiring it for any diapered kids and having the add'l cost built into my rates. Pros - little to zero tracking of whose is whose, no need to separately store DCK's diapers, less items for parents to bring. Cons - higher rates for parents, higher initial cost for me..

Anyways, has anyone done this before?

If so, how do you handle parents who use disposable diapers at home? I figure I should change the child right before pick up into a disposable diaper, so my CD stash never goes home but want to see if anyone has other ideas (to possibly avoid having to still keep a variety of disposables on hand for each child not using CD at home).

Also... if a parent does CD at home, should I use my stash or theirs? Pros/cons? I like the idea of my own for several reasons (make sure they get properly washed or stripped, no tracking whose is whose). If I use theirs, then I'm doing extra sorting of dirty diapers and storage of wet bags.

And then there's a diapering service in my area that looks pretty slick.. Has anyone done this for DC? Without this service, it's going to take a lot more of my time to prep all the diapers I need.. I suppose it's all in how much work I want to do and how much higher rates parents are willing to pay, which I have no clue as of now :confused:

BC, if you're reading this in another thread you mentioned "the licensing rule in my state says I can not rinse diapers in a sink used for food prep or handwashing so it would have to be a laundry tub/sink or sink JUST for diaper rinsing." Do you know, would licensing allow them to be rinsed in the toilet with a sprayer? Any info on how cloth wipes fit into our state licensing?

TIA!!
        Im not sure how others might recoeve it, but for me personally, i would not want to share cd between kids. I know they get washed and stripped, but it is kind of like sharing underwear with someone, except they pee and poop in them:: i think it is great to offer it, but as a parent, i would want the option to bring my own CD or to bring disposables.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
          Im not sure how others might recoeve it, but for me personally, i would not want to share cd between kids. I know they get washed and stripped, but it is kind of like sharing underwear with someone, except they pee and poop in them:: i think it is great to offer it, but as a parent, i would want the option to bring my own CD or to bring disposables.
          that's exactly what my husband said! I was going to ask about that part but figured my post was already pretty long, so thank you for mentioning it

Comment

TIA!!
            You can rinse anything you'd like in a toilet with a sprayer...

However, you might not be able to supply cloth diapers for all the kids yourself as licensing rules state "only those from a commercial service...." and if you are able to supply them, you would not be able to have the kids "share" as the rules DO state "Subp. 10. Separation of personal articles. Separate towels, wash cloths, drinking cups, combs, and other personal articles must be used for each child." so each child would have to have diapers just for them and they would need to be labeled and stored separately for each child.

I love cloth diapers and encourage my parents to use them but I certainly don't and won't supply them. I have considered supplying disposable diapers but I just haven't.

Also, as a parent I would definitely love it if my provider supplied diapers but I would have a hard time with my child "sharing" diapers (even super clean...!) with another child.

Comment

I allow cloth diapers in my daycare but I don't wash them or provide them. It would be too much work and money for me.

Providing the cloth diapers would mean I'd be washing them all and unless I used a diaper service that would mean that I'd have to disinfect the diapers at each wash which isn't so bad workwise (just add oxygen bleach) but it would mean more money out of pocket. It would mean disinfecting the drum after every use too unless I had a seperate washing machine just for the diapers.

The water bill would go up (you can always get an energy/water efficient washer to help offset the cost) and then there's the part of drying all of the diapers.

Line drying is always best IMO for cloth diapers but if I were to decide to provide cloth on all client children I would probably choose to use covers and fitteds instead of actual cloth diapers. This way I'd be able to wash everything together yet throw the fitteds into the dryer and just hang dry the covers to cut down drying time. Covers and fitteds are also less expensive to buy and you'll use less covers throughout the day.

I'd definetely get a diaper sprayer (I use one) and some sort of spray shield protector (you can always make one) and I'd think about getting disposable liners to save me time/effort in spraying them since most of the poo will get picked up by the liners. They also reduce stains since the poo isn't all directly sitting on the cloth.

Just some thinking out loud here

Comment

Thanks BC and MV! This is all new to me and really helpful

If a provider supplied the CD, would you have to buy a new stock for each DCK that enrolls? Or do you deep clean or professionally clean a set prior to using it on a new child, then use the same set for a specific child while in your care? I totally understand not wanting to have DCKs share CD on the regular. Just wondering how some providers do it! I thought with a diapering service, you wouldn't be getting the same liners/inserts each time, so it wouldn't be much different than if DCKs shared them. But I could very well be mistaken on how diapering service works

As for licensing requiring separate hygiene items, how do you do it for something like hand towels? Does a DCK have the same designated towel that gets washed every day? Or does each DCK just need to have a fresh clean towel designated as theirs each day (and it doesn't necessarily have to be the same one as the previous day)?

Sorry for so many questions

Comment

If a provider supplied the CD, would you have to buy a new stock for each DCK that enrolls? Or do you deep clean or professionally clean a set prior to using it on a new child, then use the same set for a specific child while in your care? I totally understand not wanting to have DCKs share CD on the regular. Just wondering how some providers do it! I thought with a diapering service, you wouldn't be getting the same liners/inserts each time, so it wouldn't be much different than if DCKs shared them. But I could very well be mistaken on how diapering service works
                  Diaper cleaning is actually another business idea I have been considering. With professional diaper cleaning, each parents bag of diapers is done individually so they always get back the same ones they dropped off.

As for licensing requiring separate hygiene items, how do you do it for something like hand towels? Does a DCK have the same designated towel that gets washed every day? Or does each DCK just need to have a fresh clean towel designated as theirs each day (and it doesn't necessarily have to be the same one as the previous day)?
                  I'm curious about that one too. I'm planning to label everything so each kid will have their own for the time they are here. Not sure if it's necessary, but figured it's a good idea and kids like having things they can say is theirs.
                  Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
                  They are also our future.

Comment

I don't think you'd have to buy new stock for each child but I would think each child can only use "these" diapers while they are in diapers. So more like hand me downs but only one child wears it until they no longer need it. hopefully that makes sense...

A commercial diapering services means the diapers are washed in a commercial setting using commercial chemicals/hot water etc that we can't replicate at home...which is why commercial services are allowed....it's the washing/sanitizing methods that make the difference.

Sorry for so many questions
                    Yes, for each child in care you must have a separate hand towel that is for their use only. They must be laundered daily. They get a new one the next day and no, it does not have to be the same as the one they had yesterday.

The other option is single use paper towels. I use that option. It's inexpensive and I am able to recycle so it doesn't impact my thoughts on environmentally friendly.

Comment

If a provider supplied the CD, would you have to buy a new stock for each DCK that enrolls?
                      I wouldn't buy a new stock of diapers each time a new child enrolled but if you wanted to you could buy a set of diapers all in the same color and assign those diapers for a certain child. Not sure how you'd be able to tell the difference in who's fitted is who's if you went the diaper cover route.

Or do you deep clean or professionally clean a set prior to using it on a new child, then use the same set for a specific child while in your care?
                      Maybe try calling a cloth diaper service and ask them how using their service in your case would work since you are a daycare. Maybe that can give you a better idea. If they say that they will need to provide separate diapers for each child that you have to keep separate then you can basically figure that you'll have to do the same (and wash each child's diapers separately) even if you wash your own cloth diapers.

I thought with a diapering service, you wouldn't be getting the same liners/inserts each time, so it wouldn't be much different than if DCKs shared them.
                      Our local cloth diaper service washes each child's/family's diaper separately and don't mix the diapers together but I honestly don't know if it's necessary or if it's just to give parent's peace of mind because of the yuck factor.

As for licensing requiring separate hygiene items, how do you do it for something like hand towels?
                      I use disposable. I have a dispenser and tri-fold paper towels. It's suggested against sharing cloth towels because they spread germs. If I were using cloth towels I would have one for each child and I would wash them all together but washing hand towels is different than washing cloth with urine and fecal matter KWIM.

Comment

I treat cloth the same as disposables, it goes straight into the wet bag. No dumping, no rinsing. Parents can make it easier by using liners in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                          I don't think you'd have to buy new stock for each child but I would think each child can only use "these" diapers while they are in diapers. So more like hand me downs but only one child wears it until they no longer need it. hopefully that makes sense...

A commercial diapering services means the diapers are washed in a commercial setting using commercial chemicals/hot water etc that we can't replicate at home...which is why commercial services are allowed....it's the washing/sanitizing methods that make the difference.

Yes, for each child in care you must have a separate hand towel that is for their use only. They must be laundered daily. They get a new one the next day and no, it does not have to be the same as the one they had yesterday.

The other option is single use paper towels. I use that option. It's inexpensive and I am able to recycle so it doesn't impact my thoughts on environmentally friendly.
                          Ok, yes that all makes perfect sense I kinda figured that for hand towels but wanted to double check!

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
                          I thought with a diapering service, you wouldn't be getting the same liners/inserts each time, so it wouldn't be much different than if DCKs shared them.
                          Our local cloth diaper service washes each child's/family's diaper separately and don't mix the diapers together but I honestly don't know if it's necessary or if it's just to give parent's peace of mind because of the yuck factor.

As for licensing requiring separate hygiene items, how do you do it for something like hand towels?
                          I use disposable. I have a dispenser and tri-fold paper towels. It's suggested against sharing cloth towels because they spread germs. If I were using cloth towels I would have one for each child and I would wash them all together but washing hand towels is different than washing cloth with urine and fecal matter KWIM.
                          Totally agree the diaper thing is much different than hand towels I'll look into the diapering services further!

Comment

Separate towels, etc.

I rarely do cloth diapers, if so, the whole diaper gets bagged. Most parents don't want to deal with the mess, so disposables are the product of choice.

As to the separate towels; each of my daycare children has a color. Cups, toothbrushes, and washcloths for drying hands in the bathroom are "their" own color. I hang each washcloth from a large clip on a multi-hook rack at kid height. Washcloths get changed daily. I find washing a load of washcloths much easier than throwing away lots of paper towels (we tried that years ago, but too many were pulled out and my trashcan was full daily). You need a good supply of washcloths in each desired color.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoprovider View Post
                              As to the separate towels; each of my daycare children has a color. Cups, toothbrushes, and washcloths for drying hands in the bathroom are "their" own color. I hang each washcloth from a large clip on a multi-hook rack at kid height. Washcloths get changed daily. I find washing a load of washcloths much easier than throwing away lots of paper towels (we tried that years ago, but too many were pulled out and my trashcan was full daily). You need a good supply of washcloths in each desired color.
                              I love this! I want to do it for my house lovethislovethis

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoprovider View Post
                                I rarely do cloth diapers, if so, the whole diaper gets bagged. Most parents don't want to deal with the mess, so disposables are the product of choice.

Each baby in my care has color coordinated sippies, plates, bowls, wash rags too. They grow up knowing what stuff is theirs from get go

Comment

Working...
                                X