School Teachers Wanting Discounts For Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    Its important to remember that teachers only work a partial year but still earn a full year salary.

I feel it's disrespectful for them to think it's for you to lose income while they save.

Its up to each provider to set policies/rules they can live with but personally, I am allow only so many spaces and I need full payment for those spaces so I dont give discounts for seasonal employment. I work all year and expect payment all year.

If they want to save money they can ask their bank for credit on their auto loans for all days/hours they don't drive their cars or ask their mortgage companies for credit for every day they aren't at home. Or maybe ask their cable service providers for discounts for each hour they dont have the TV on.
    happyface Amen. Suggest that, as a taxpayer, you start a lobby that pushes for teachers to get only 3/4 of their salary since they're working only 3/4 of the year. Do they think that would sound fair?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
      Its important to remember that teachers only work a partial year but still earn a full year salary.

I feel it's disrespectful for them to think it's for you to lose income while they save.

Its up to each provider to set policies/rules they can live with but personally, I am allow only so many spaces and I need full payment for those spaces so I dont give discounts for seasonal employment. I work all year and expect payment all year.

If they want to save money they can ask their bank for credit on their auto loans for all days/hours they don't drive their cars or ask their mortgage companies for credit for every day they aren't at home. Or maybe ask their cable service providers for discounts for each hour they dont have the TV on.

This how I feel too. I don't like being asked to lower my income so they can have a great summer.

Comment

And not to mention the THOUSANDS that I spend for the fun stuff, not just the needed food, equipment, and other expenses.

I'm going to go cry now.....I just tallied my monthly expenses and.....tear.

Comment

I live in a school district that is year round... I also have teachers & professors as clients that take classes in the summertime they don't just teach 10 months each year so it makes no sense to discount my fees, plus I am infant only childcare with a limit of 4 children (I also have 2 degrees). Like it has been said, I offer a service I am not your hired help - if you don't like my policies, feel free to look elsewhere

Comment

Teachers pay the full amount.

In the past I've offered a discount if I filled their spot with another child. But then, the other child sometimes didn't actually come, or wanted to pay only for the days they were here. So I was left with less income. Now, teachers pay full price every month. Makes my life easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I understand where you are coming from and understand you need to be paid to hold a spot.

But......Truth is teachers are paid for 180/190 days. They work nine months and are paid for nine months at least in the states I taught in.

I have a question about your comment. In my state, Missouri, the average teacher salary is around $40,000. Now I understand that teachers do a lot of work at home and use their own money for school stuff. I don't want to sound insensitive when I say this because I do believe teachers are great. But 40 grand isn't too bad for as you say 180-190 days. To make that salary stretch isn't a matter of budgeting? You can't expect people to give you a break because your choice of profession. You certainly can ask but have to understand that not everyone can accommodate that request.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                happyface Amen. Suggest that, as a taxpayer, you start a lobby that pushes for teachers to get only 3/4 of their salary since they're working only 3/4 of the year. Do they think that would sound fair?
                We do only make 3/4 of a salary as teachers... You can choose to take that salary over 9 months or spread it out over 12 months. Most just choose to have it spread out over 12 months.

Thankfully our home daycare lets us reduce to 2 days a week in the summer. She has her own 3 school aged children home with her for the summer so she's filled to the brim with kids each day so not having my 2 added to the mix every day is just fine. Glad to have found a set up that works for both of us.

Comment

We do only make 3/4 of a salary as teachers... You can choose to take that salary over 9 months or spread it out over 12 months. Most just choose to have it spread out over 12 months.

Thankfully our home daycare lets us reduce to 2 days a week in the summer. She has her own 3 school aged children home with her for the summer so she's filled to the brim with kids each day so not having my 2 added to the mix every day is just fine. Glad to have found a set up that works for both of us.

I LOST money last year. I have never made more than 12,000 doing daycare. I KNOW teachers make more than that, even after their expenses. We are talking about two different things really with expenses. No, I don't think teachers should have to pay for supplies out of pocket based on the taxes I pay. But, I shouldn't loose even more money based on a parents job. If I did that for teachers, then my nurses would want a discount when they worked over and I kept the kids a double shift, but they got the next day off because of that. My office workers would say, but I got vacation time, so I don't want to pay for those days that I take a day here and there. If I do it for one person, I have to do it for all. I can't afford that.

Comment

Well...every state is different, of course. And every daycare is different.

Here in Michigan, I will not give teacher discounts. Teachers make good money and have great benefits. My mother worked 25 years as a teacher and retired making $80K a year, and $50K as a pension. That doesn't include social security.

I do not take school aged children, so the kids I enroll are year round until they enter Preschool or Kindergarten.

There is a daycare in town that only takes teachers kids because she likes their schedule. Someday I might head that way.

It never hurts to ask if this will work for a daycare provider. I just wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work for them. And perhaps, they end up complaining on here or facebook groups about the situation.

Comment

~ You took a job that only pays you 3/4ths of what you were told it pays? :confused:

If not then you DO earn a yearly salary. Whether it's spread out over 9 or 12 months doesn't matter.

When hired, they said you will earn $X per year so you ARE being paid a YEARLY salary.

I'm sure it's nice to have a lighter work load but just because she is caring for her own kids doesn't mean she is making up for the loss of income she experiences when certain parents drop down to part time in the summer.

Her kids eat too and being home for the summer means her food costs go up. etc...

But yep, you are right....it's sure nice of her to lose out on income so you can spend time with your kids AND save money too!

Comment

3/4 income?
                        How about 1/4?
                        My father was a trucker. A friend of his was also a trucker. My father drove Sunday night to Saturday afternoon 51 weeks a year. His friend only drove for 3 months a year. He made more money than my father did. He drove further up North, across ice, so being a higher risk, and a short season, his pay made it worth it. The other 9 months, he was free to do as he pleased.

Being a teacher isn't as risky, but it is still a job that doesn't last all year. Pay is for the year, so has to be figured out to work for the year. If they can't do that, they need to get a summer job.

Some daycare providers may focus on that market. That's what I'm thinking about doing. What I'm thinking about doing is child care with part time woodworking. I may take the summer to do only woodworking so I can have time to make more products for upcoming Christmas sales. For that, teachers would be perfect.
                        Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
                        They are also our future.

Comment

Where I live, teachers earn a yearly salary (and it's a good salary). Some places let teachers choose to receive their salary over 9 months or 12, but here, they receive it over 12 months. How do you earn 3/4 salary? You're paid $40,000 annually and only receive $30,000 if you don't work in the summer?

Comment

I haven't had a teacher for a number of years, but in the past, I did develop a policy of allowing them to reduce to part-time during the Summer months while retaining a spot in my program. It was a little less $ but also a little less work for me. I was not holding a spot for free over the Summer, which is a no-go for me.

Comment

Average teacher salaries for the 2014-2015 school year in my area ranged from $66,000 - $75,000 per year depending on the school district. Many of my dc parents who teach make more than my husband and me combined even before I figure in my dc expenses. I have no qualms about charging to hold a spot over the summer.

Comment

When I first opened in WI I held 3 FT spots - one an infant spot - for a family over the summer. Within a month of school starting again they had transportation issues and left my care. I learned my lesson!

Now I offer a choice: continuing FT care at the regular rate or 2 days a week at 50% the regular rate or un-enrolling and taking the chance that the opening won't be available in the fall.

But I had a friend with all teacher's kids who'd set aside some of her salary during the school year and close over the summer. I'd love to do that but I've never had all teacher's kids.

Another thought came to mind just now... You could offer to pro-rate their school year payments to cover the summer so they wouldn't have to pay over the summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X