School Teachers Wanting Discounts For Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Teachers Wanting Discounts For Summer

Has anyone had school teachers for clients and they want discounts or not to pay at all for summer break? How did you handle it? If you gave them a discount , how much? Any input would be appreciated!

Michele

In the beginning I didn't charge but took a non refundable deposit. I was also able to fill her spot over with someone who only needed summer care.

I have however stopped doing that, because its not always guaranteed to fill that summer spot, and my bills still need to be paid. I did end up losing that family, which was okay, I was able to fill their space with a year round family.

Do what works best for your business and budget!

Comment

Its important to remember that teachers only work a partial year but still earn a full year salary.

I feel it's disrespectful for them to think it's for you to lose income while they save.

Its up to each provider to set policies/rules they can live with but personally, I am allow only so many spaces and I need full payment for those spaces so I dont give discounts for seasonal employment. I work all year and expect payment all year.

If they want to save money they can ask their bank for credit on their auto loans for all days/hours they don't drive their cars or ask their mortgage companies for credit for every day they aren't at home. Or maybe ask their cable service providers for discounts for each hour they dont have the TV on.

Comment

I can't afford to hold a spot for anyone who isn't paying full price for it. All parents, regardless of profession, know they have an option when taking extended time off: they can pay to hold their spots and be guaranteed a spot when they return or they can take the risk that I'll have an opening when they need to come back.

I get how expensive day care is, especially if you don't really need it for the summer, so I don't take offense if they choose to risk it. I'm also willing to not charge if I need the spot for someone else who will be leaving when the other family wants to return. For example, when my own kids were younger, I didn't charge my 2 teacher families for the summer because I needed those spots. My kids counted in my numbers so not charging them and guaranteeing a spot in the fall worked for both of us in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          If they want to save money they can ask their bank for credit on their auto loans for all days/hours they don't drive their cars or ask their mortgage companies for credit for every day they aren't at home. Or maybe ask their cable service providers for discounts for each hour they dont have the TV on.
          ::

I'm going to remember that in case I ever need it.
          Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
          They are also our future.

Comment

We have teachers pay 1/2 the summer.

Teachers, at least in my state , do not get paid over the summer. They get the "leftover" of their salary in June

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
              Its important to remember that teachers only work a partial year but still earn a full year salary.

I feel it's disrespectful for them to think it's for you to lose income while they save.

Its up to each provider to set policies/rules they can live with but personally, I am allow only so many spaces and I need full payment for those spaces so I dont give discounts for seasonal employment. I work all year and expect payment all year.

I agree but I'd say "I'm sorry, I can't do that. I'm sure you can understand that would mean I would be losing a significant amount of income. You could check back with me at the end of the summer and I may still have that opening but I can't guarantee it." Big smile.

Grrrrr, why would they even expect it? Don't they have any common sense? Where is the 'tearing out my hair' emoticon when you need it?

Personally, I like to say something like the above so maybe they will get a clue and apologize or just to see that 'Duh, it never occurred to me that you do this for an actual living. Just thought you loved kids so much."

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post
                Grrrrr, why would they even expect it? Don't they have any common sense? Where is the 'tearing out my hair' emoticon when you need it?
                Around here, there are day care providers who do offer summers off/discounts to teachers because they close for the summer themselves or want an easier schedule while their own kids are home from school. I think they're also afraid they won't be seen as competitive if they don't offer it. I can see where a teacher would ask if they know there are providers in their area that offer it. The teachers who have asked me have been very understanding when I explain my reasoning for not offering summers off or discounts. Usually they just say they could use the child-free time to catch up on yard work, etc. Often, they pay full tuition but keep the child with them when they have family plans.

Comment

In the past, I allowed my teacher parents to take the summer off, but didn't guarantee them a spot in the fall. I like light summers.

My last teacher family paid for 2 days a week and could use whichever days I had available for them. That has been so long ago that the eldest is graduating next week and the youngest is a junior next year.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from and understand you need to be paid to hold a spot.

But......Truth is teachers are paid for 180/190 days. They work nine months and are paid for nine months at least in the states I taught in.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      I understand where you are coming from and understand you need to be paid to hold a spot.

But......Truth is teachers are paid for 180/190 days. They work nine months and are paid for nine months at least in the states I taught in.
                      Regardless, I work 12 months of the year and need to be paid 12 month out of the year to cover my 12 months of expenses.

Your child's absence really doesn't reduce my expenses.

I didnt sign up for a job that only works/pays 9 months out of the year.

Comment

There are home-based daycares, centers and preschools that close for the summer so that family could have opted for that initially and you do not owe them any discount since they knew you operated a year round program.

Regardless IF you want to work with them and keep them as clients I might suggest to them they reduce their number of days to 2 or 3 days per week in summer (if you feel you can fill the other days with someone else) or offer the summer off but require September tuition in full as a deposit (again only if you feel you can fill the spot in this case with a summer only child).....

As a teacher I initially selected a preschool for my dd that was only open September - June (which worked well for me at that point) when I moved dd to a full day year round program I sent her 3 days per week and had family help out with the other days and kept her with that consistent schedule in summer (I did pick her up early each day right after nap and snack and especially in summer we took additional days off to spend together.)

Personally when I hear my peers complain about year round childcare I find it annoying because they do have options of programs that are school year only.

Comment

Another possible solution is to contract to save the space with a holding fee. I have this option in my contract though it is stated that it is used at my discretion.
                          I like having an easier summer and don't mind making a little less.
                          My holding fee is 1/2 your normal rate and does not entitle you to child care.

Comment

I charge teachers a higher rate during the year. They pay a holding fee (equal to 2 weeks tuition) to hold their spot over the summer.

I like the lighter load. I also charge enough that over the course of the year I am only out a few thousand. Totally worth it to have the time off with my own children.

Comment

I am a person who offers free space during the summer for teachers BUT:
                              -I don't do this job for the money
                              -I want to spend the summers with my kids camping etc and don't want to be tied to the house.
                              -I only do part time anyway

This is what works for me and MY business. You do what is right for you. If this was my full time job I would absolutely be charging for that time. Like BlackCat mentioned they get paid for that time off so why shouldn't you. I see a lot of teachers in my local FB providers group looking for people to hold their space for free and it kind of irks me. At the same time it works for some peoples business.

Comment

Working...
                              X