Parents and Doctors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
    That depends. We are low income, DD still get medicaid. But DH and I don't qualify. DD has great coverage. DH and I not so much. We have high co pays, and have to pay for all labs and such at 100% until we each hit our $5000 deductible. Hopefully we won't touch that. The new structure with the government, if you can't afford much you are almost paying for nothing. We used to have a free clinic in our area, but it was hard to get into you had to wait outside in a line for hours some days. But they closed it down when Obamacare passed, because they said since everyone is insured now it was no longer needed.
    OP isn't asking the parents to see a Dr.

She's wanting the kid(s) to be seen.

What you explained... IS my point.... parents may not have the best coverage but kids usually always have options.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post
      Would you mind PM'ing me this form please?

I have in my illness policy that after 5 days of coughing children will be excluded until seen by their doctor and can return when a diagnoses and treatment plan is in place.

I do understand children get allergies and allergies here can get bad. BUT I know from experience that when you "get" allergies here they make you feel like you have the flu. I also know from experience that allergies can cause sinus and other infections. I however am not a doc, nor do I claim to be one But since I spend 10 hours a day with these children, I know what is normal for here at least and what is not. I don't think parents always realize that.
      Absolutely! They are VERY clear and explain EXACTLY what needs to be done BEFORE being readmitted to care.

I will go PM them to you now.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        In my state there are tons of free or rapid clinics that see children for little or next to nothing because they are kids.
        I wish we had that here. Those clinics turn parents/patients with insurance away here.

The ones who still take insurance are often "not currently accepting new patients" or have a two-six month wait for appointments. When your date rolls around, they cancel due to a "scheduling error".

Sick care? Forgetaboutit..... "Maybe you should just go to the ER, Ma'am" We have mostly satellite offices here. Great for their tax write offs, but not their priority...

The health department used to be great about cash service, but even that has changed.
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

OP, I bet if you simply exclude for symptoms and tell them that you need a doctors note on all productive coughs, they will find a way.
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
            I wish we had that here. Those clinics turn parents/patients with insurance away here.

The ones who still take insurance are often "not currently accepting new patients" or have a two-six month wait for appointments. When your date rolls around, they cancel due to a "scheduling error".

Sick care? Forgetaboutit..... "Maybe you should just go to the ER, Ma'am" We have mostly satellite offices here. Great for their tax write offs, but not their priority...

The health department used to be great about cash service, but even that has changed.
            My state is pretty well known as a VERY "helpful"-type state.

People move here because of the number of "helpful programs available.

i.e. I can tell you some stories of the "help" available here that would seriously make you cringe.

Comment

i.e. I can tell you some stories of the "help" available here that would seriously make you cringe.
              Yeah ours isn't helpful either. And many of our programs that used to help low income people, now require insurance. And I know people that don't have it, they still can't afford it. The whole insurance thing is a huge mess. Kids here in Ohio have a higher rate and can get medicaid, but that doesn't stop people over that limit from not getting insurance. And they will send you to the ER here also, which most insurance doesn't cover unless you are actually admitted. But I guess my point is, that if it is me, I may suffer for awhile. But when it is my child, I will make a way. KWIM?

Comment

:::: I don't doubt that. Here, the more you work the less the help.

I remember the CDC having pamphlets available for free to childcare providers to handout to parents that had a flowchart of WHEN to take your child to the doctor. :confused: I just searched my pdf's and I lost it. I don't have time to search their endless site right now.

Do you have one? It may help everyone.

I think it was published 2012 or so... during the SARS scare, Bird flu, Swine flu or Unicorn dust crisis grant period :confused: It was awesome though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                  :::: I don't doubt that. Here, the more you work the less the help.

I remember the CDC having pamphlets available for free to childcare providers to handout to parents that had a flowchart of WHEN to take your child to the doctor. :confused: I just searched my pdf's and I lost it. I don't have time to search their endless site right now.

Do you have one? It may help everyone.

I think it was published 2012 or so... during the SARS scare, Bird flu, Swine flu or Unicorn dust crisis grant period :confused: It was awesome though.
                  CDC free downloadable flyers for parents/providers about pretty much everything... ! LOTS of great info available for downloading though!!

Comment

Here is the comparison chart too so parents/providers can see the difference between a common cold or the flu

I had a handy little printable chart but have no clue where it is. Well I know where it is but dont know how its filed so I'll probably never find it.

Comment

Thanks! I am horrible at adding links. ::

If not for the facebook share button, my clients would rarely get anything digital from me.

Comment

In my experience, those that "appear" to be well off are the ones that have crappy or little to no insurance.

The ones that are low income get fantastic coverage.

In my state there are tons of free or rapid clinics that see children for little or next to nothing because they are kids.
                        See in Tennessee the state didn't expand the Medicaid under Obamacare; I'm still not covered @ won't be until age 60 - Why? because my income after taxes showed I was so poor that the waiver kicked in; I can't even afford the lowest plan offered without literally starving or not paying bills. So yeah, low income doesn't mean good insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
                          See in Tennessee the state didn't expand the Medicaid under Obamacare; I'm still not covered @ won't be until age 60 - Why? because my income after taxes showed I was so poor that the waiver kicked in; I can't even afford the lowest plan offered without literally starving or not paying bills. So yeah, low income doesn't mean good insurance.
                          I will clarify again, I am speaking about my state.
                          I know NOTHING about coverage options in other states and I am/was mostly referring to options/coverage for children.

I know NOTHING about coverage for adults under medicaid or Obamacare.....other than the "scam" going on for those over 55 again in MY state.

I am sorry there are so many of you that have trouble accessing good medical care. In today's day, medical coverage shouldn't be something anyone struggles to get/receive.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post
                            Why are parents so put off by having to take their children to the doctor?

I have two children in my care who have wet coughs.

Child A has had the cough for 6 days now (including weekend). Cough sounds wet and chesty and is disrupting child's nap time here. When DCK's nose is blown, her chest rattles but nothing comes out. Told DCP that if cough is still present at the end of the week I will be requiring a doctor note before DCK returns. Dad says "well we took DCK to the doc about a week and a half ago and she was cleared for strep." Well, that's great. But she is still coughing. I am not a doctor and neither are you. Take your kid to the doc.

Child B: Noticed cough yesterday. Was worse today. Cough also sounds wet and chesty and is disrupting child's nap time here. Child has also been snoring the past few days during nap time. Mentioned cough to DCP at pick up. DCP says "oh yeah, I noticed that too. DCK seems to cough when waking up too." I mention that perhaps a doctor visit is in order and DCP says he can't take DCK tonight because "it's just him and the kids." (btw, at no point in time did I say go today or I will need a note tomorrow. I mentioned going to the doc because your child is presenting abnormal symptoms and neither myself nor the DCP's are doctors..)

Both parents said "well, maybe it's allergies..."

I live in the SW. It is warm and everything is already in bloom so it is possible that it's allergies. But guess what - they make allergy medicine for kids!! Take your child to a doctor, confirm that it is allergies and give them an allergy medicine. But don't let them just cough all day and night. How fair is that to the kids?
                            I am in Canada, as well. It costs nothing but time to take your child to the doctor so I still see this occasionally. I just continue to exclude and will suggest a doctor's visit to rule anything serious out.

If it ever got to a point where I was concerned for the child's wellbeing, I would do as others have suggested and require a doctor's note. I have it in my policies that from time to time I may require a doctor's note.

Comment

I will clarify again, I am speaking about my state.
                              I know NOTHING about coverage options in other states and I am/was mostly referring to options/coverage for children.

I know NOTHING about coverage for adults under medicaid or Obamacare.....other than the "scam" going on for those over 55 again in MY state.

I am sorry there are so many of you that have trouble accessing good medical care. In today's day, medical coverage shouldn't be something anyone struggles to get/receive.
                              I understood that... Some states have crap coverage for kids too unfortunantly

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
                                I understood that... Some states have crap coverage for kids too unfortunantly
                                That breaks my heart.

One would think that living in the "most" powerful country in the world that basic medical coverage for our youngest generation would be a focus of importance.

Im sorry if my post sounded snarky to you... I am apparently being misunderstood all over the board today so again, I apologize if I sounded 'snarky" in ANY way!

I am sooooo not feeling snarky today!

Comment

Working...
                                X