Visitors at Daycare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitors at Daycare

I have a dcm who has requested grandma come stay at daycare with 6 month old baby for a day. She is visiting from out of town and I guess just wants to be apart of the new babies life? I am not sure. In my handbook I really discourage that type of thing. I am in CA and I know that we are required to allow parents to have access to their children at all times. My question is, how do I tactfully deny this request? I can't imagine ever dealing with someone in my home while I am working, especially someone I do not know and have never met. There are a hundred reasons why this would not be good for myself or the 7 other children in my care.
    What can I add to my handbook that makes sure this question is answered in the future for potential new clients?

She wants to spend the whole day with her, while she is in your care? Sounds to me like she wants to spend time with her, but doesn't want to have to do the work of taking care of her. I can see this going wrong very fast. I know we're required to allow parents to have access to their child (open door policy), but I'm pretty positive that does not mean they can come in and stay all day. It's open door so they can drop in anytime, but not stay the whole time. I actually think they'd have to get all the same back ground checks, drug tests, etc that any other volunteer or employee would need if they're doing to be there longer than just to drop off or pick up, so I think you could use that as your reason for not allowing it.

Comment

I would absolutely NOT allow this. It is a liability issue and other parents could have an issue with it since there will be a stranger they don't know around their kids all day.

Comment

Tell her you would have to run a criminal and child abuse registry check on her and have her fingerprinted done before you could allow this.

She doesn't want to visit the kid at your house. She wants to have you do a full day interview with her mommy.
        http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

No way. No how.

The request is weird anyway. She wants to spend time with baby? Then do it at home!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you have a nosy granny that wants to nit-pick.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. Everything said ran through my mind as well. Nannyde, I could not agree more. This child hasn't been with me for very long, a month at most and is only 3 dpw. It is indeed a strange request and I will not allow it, just trying to figure out the best way to deny her. My luck she will volunteer to have her fingerprinted, then what will I say?

Comment

Can you explain that having an unfamiliar adult would be very disruptive to your day and the other children, but that she is more than welcome to come get the baby early or keep her for the day?

Comment

I'm in California and have an open door policy as well. That said, I would flatly decline her. I think I would say something along the lines of, "a full day visit gives your mom (a non client) knowledge of private client information. Throughout the day, I discuss things like child behavior, payment issues, and personal things that may be going on with other families. For this reason, I only allow short visits" I have a privacy clause in my handbook that covers this.

I would then inform her of the acceptable choices: early pick up, a short visit, or keeping the child home. And then sweetly say, "let me know what you decide."

Comment

Originally posted by organicdclady View Post
                  Thank you all for the replies. Everything said ran through my mind as well. Nannyde, I could not agree more. This child hasn't been with me for very long, a month at most and is only 3 dpw. It is indeed a strange request and I will not allow it, just trying to figure out the best way to deny her. My luck she will volunteer to have her fingerprinted, then what will I say?
                  Well I am guessing the finger prints and background checks take time? They do most places. You could also tell her she would have to have a child abuse registry check. Or you could just tell her that the other parents have asked that strangers not be around the children.

Comment

I think I would say something like "I'm sorry but that is not something I can allow. It would be too disruptive to our day. I'm sure you understand! Will Grandma be keeping her home that day so she can still visit?"
                    What a strange request :confused:

Comment

I have an open door policy for parents. Not grandparents or extended family.

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                        I have an open door policy for parents. Not grandparents or extended family.
                        Me too, but even my open door policy is not for all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
                          Me too, but even my open door policy is not for all day.
                          Exactly! You can start your conversation "Due to state regulations, anyone who will be around the children for an extended period of time would need to have the routine security checks performed. You may choose a different option, such as picking up dck early, stay for no more than5 minutes at drop-off, or choose to stay home with the child. Please let me know and thank you for understanding."

Can you imagine the disruption to your day's routine and the childrens' behavior?? So many things I am on the fence about(Libra ya know)but this would be an adamant NO.

Once I had a potential dcm stay for a couple hours and even that un-nerved me to no end.

Comment

Originally posted by spedmommy4 View Post
                            I'm in California and have an open door policy as well. That said, I would flatly decline her. I think I would say something along the lines of, "a full day visit gives your mom (a non client) knowledge of private client information. Throughout the day, I discuss things like child behavior, payment issues, and personal things that may be going on with other families. For this reason, I only allow short visits" I have a privacy clause in my handbook that covers this.

I would then inform her of the acceptable choices: early pick up, a short visit, or keeping the child home. And then sweetly say, "let me know what you decide."
                            I agree. I myself would also want to add something about "how would she feel if I allowed another stranger around her child all day?"

Comment

I don't feel "open door policy" means unlimited daycare access. I feel it means they can pick up their kids at any time. Not. "Hey, come hang out."

Comment

Working...
                              X