Day 1 with Essential Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
    So the oils have a strong odor? If so they won't work in my house. DD and I have allergies that can't handle that. Even walking near bath and body works in a mall kills us.
    They do if you use too much or choose a scent you don't like. Bath & Body Works is offensive because it's too many fake scents mixed together. Peppermint is actually really good for opening the sinuses and healping with breathing, just make sure to use a few drops mixed with water if you are using a candle type diffuser. Try and smell the scents before buying and choose something you like.

Comment

I have never liked using plugins, air fresheners, etc... When I did use the oils in a diffuser, the smells were not very strong.....I have only used the lavender and the balance oils, though....I have sinus issues as well, but oils didn't bother me.

Comment

The popularity of essential oils has significantly risen in the last 10 to 15 years. While it’s awesome that the amazing benefits of the oils are being used to heal all sorts of ailments, pro…

◾*Cajuput Melaleuca cajuputi, Melaleuca leucadendron – avoid using on children under 6
        ◾Chaste Tree Vitex agnus castus – avoid using (all routes) on prepubertal children
        ◾Clove Bud, Clove Leaf, Clove Stem Syzygium aromaticum, Eugenia caryophyllata, Eugenia aromatica – avoid topical use on children under 2
        ◾*Eucalyptus Eucalyptus camaldulensis, Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus maidenii, Eucalyptus plenissima, Eucalyptus kochii, Eucalyptus polybractea, Eucalyptus radiata, Eucalyptus Autraliana, Eucalyptus phellandra, Eucalyptus smithii – avoid using on children under 10
        ◾Lemon Leaf/Lemon Petitgrain Citrus x limon, Citrus limonum – avoid topical use on children under 2
        ◾Lemongrass Cymbopogon flexuosus, Andropogon flexuosus, Cymbopogon citratus, Andropogon citratus – avoid topical use on children under 2
        ◾*Marjoram (Spanish) Thymus mastichina – avoid using on children under 6
        ◾Oregano Origanum onites, Origanum smyrnaeum, Origanum vulgare, Origanum compactum, Origanum hirtum, Thymbra capitata, Thymus capitatus, Coridothymus capitatus, Satureeja capitata – avoid dermal use on children under 2
        ◾Peppermint Mentha x Piperita – avoid using (all routes) on children under 6
        ◾*Rosemary (1,8-cineole chemotype) Rosmarinus officinalis – avoid using on children under 6
        ◾Wintergreen Gaultheria fragrantissima, Gaultheria procumbens – avoid due to methyl salicylate content
        ◾Ylang-Ylang Cananga odorata – avoid topical use on children under 2. (not for use when pregnant)

* indicates essential oils that are high in 1,8-cineole and can potentially cause respiration to slow in children.

More about Peppermint Oil and Children:

– Avoid use on children under 30 months of age. The nasal mucosa is an autonomic reflexogen organ, which has a distance action to the heart, lungs and circulation and may lead to sudden apnoea and glottal constriction.

– Direct application of peppermint oil to the nasal area or chest to infants should be avoided because of the risk of apnea, laryngeal and bronchial spasms, acute respiratory distress with cyanosis and respiratory arrest. (The Longwood Herbal Task Force)

– Do not apply undiluted peppermint essential oils to the feet, particularly on infants and children under the age of 12.

– Inhalation of larges doses of menthol may lead to dizziness, confusion, muscle weakness, nausea and double vision.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          https://naturalkids.wordpress.com/20...fety-for-kids/

◾*Cajuput Melaleuca cajuputi, Melaleuca leucadendron – avoid using on children under 6
          ◾Chaste Tree Vitex agnus castus – avoid using (all routes) on prepubertal children
          ◾Clove Bud, Clove Leaf, Clove Stem Syzygium aromaticum, Eugenia caryophyllata, Eugenia aromatica – avoid topical use on children under 2
          ◾*Eucalyptus Eucalyptus camaldulensis, Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus maidenii, Eucalyptus plenissima, Eucalyptus kochii, Eucalyptus polybractea, Eucalyptus radiata, Eucalyptus Autraliana, Eucalyptus phellandra, Eucalyptus smithii – avoid using on children under 10
          ◾Lemon Leaf/Lemon Petitgrain Citrus x limon, Citrus limonum – avoid topical use on children under 2
          ◾Lemongrass Cymbopogon flexuosus, Andropogon flexuosus, Cymbopogon citratus, Andropogon citratus – avoid topical use on children under 2
          ◾Oregano Origanum onites, Origanum smyrnaeum, Origanum vulgare, Origanum compactum, Origanum hirtum, Thymbra capitata, Thymus capitatus, Coridothymus capitatus, Satureeja capitata – avoid dermal use on children under 2
          ◾*Rosemary (1,8-cineole chemotype) Rosmarinus officinalis – avoid using on children under 6
          ◾Wintergreen Gaultheria fragrantissima, Gaultheria procumbens – avoid due to methyl salicylate content
          ◾Ylang-Ylang Cananga odorata – avoid topical use on children under 2. (not for use when pregnant)

* indicates essential oils that are high in 1,8-cineole and can potentially cause respiration to slow in children.

– Avoid use on children under 30 months of age. The nasal mucosa is an autonomic reflexogen organ, which has a distance action to the heart, lungs and circulation and may lead to sudden apnoea and glottal constriction.

– Direct application of peppermint oil to the nasal area or chest to infants should be avoided because of the risk of apnea, laryngeal and bronchial spasms, acute respiratory distress with cyanosis and respiratory arrest. (The Longwood Herbal Task Force)

– Do not apply undiluted peppermint essential oils to the feet, particularly on infants and children under the age of 12.

– Inhalation of larges doses of menthol may lead to dizziness, confusion, muscle weakness, nausea and double vision.

I noticed on the daycare facebook page someone laughing at the idea of asking parents first. This is exactly why, too many people are not educated on EO's and could cause serious problems for the children in their care if not using them safely.

Comment

https://naturalkids.wordpress.com/20...fety-for-kids/

All the above is great information. I just wanted to throw in that the Melaleuca mentioned above is different from Melaleuca alternifolia, which is what is commonly sold (Tea Tree oil). Tea Tree/Melaleuca is what is commonly used to deter lice (water/oil combo or adding a couple drops in your shampoo).

For anyone looking to find more information on oil & children, here is good information about dilution: http://www.nativeamericannutritional...rates-children

I've been using oils for a long time, Vetiver has been a life saver for my son as well. However, I never use them topically on any children in daycare. Even when parents use them at home or say it's ok. There is so much liability there if a child has a reaction or allergy.
            If I diffuse, it's in very small quantity- usually one drop in the diffuser. Although, I make my own cleaning products with them (Lemon, Purify, water & vinegar).

And I'm so with you BC; patchouli makes me gag. A long time ago when I worked in restaurants, there used to be these young boys in the kitchen who were drenched in it... and I had to run to the bathroom to toss my cookies daily.

Comment

WOW! Most teachers in my son's school are diffusing these oils daily....especially onguard, lavender and peppermint :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
                WOW! Most teachers in my son's school are diffusing these oils daily....especially onguard, lavender and peppermint :confused:
                I think there is a difference in "toxicity" or "danger levels" depending on whether you diffuse or apply topically.

I don't know a lot about this stuff but I do know that it's common for people to mis-use or to not really know what they are doing so I just think its easier to avoid all together since benefits of these things are so controversial themselves.

Comment

I think there's a difference also on whether you're using directly on the child or diffusing it. I do get where the idea about talking to parents about using essential oils comes from but I also have to wonder how many providers ask their parents about all of the household products they use in their home. Most cleaners use highly toxic chemicals which are worse to breath in than essential oils, especially aerosol products. Scents in these products are also artificial and toxic in and of themselves. So are most big brand plug-in air fresheners, scented candles and incenses. Most of us use bleach to disinfect and that's a HUGE asthmatic.

I do get that there are some children and adults are more prone to allergies and have a difficult time with inhalants but the chances are that people are more prone to respiratory issues with commercial products than natural essential oils (and I'm talking about legit essential oils, not cheap oils which say they're essential oils but aren't). Actually putting the oils on the child I am totally against because then you are applying them directly to the skin and then they are absorbed. I would never do that even with a parent's request/permission/written consent etc. (I don't medicate at all at my daycare).

I've had my share of kids with respiratory issues and I myself have issues with chemical scents (perfume, scented candles, scented lotions/soap etc) so I stopped using aerosols of any kinds and scented everything (commercial). I also use a more natural approach to cleaning except when using bleach but only because I have not yet found something that is as powerful and that works as fast. IMO (and others are free to have their own, this is just how I approach it) if a child has an issue with a product that can cause any kind of medical issue (whether or not it's serious) then the parent tells the provider and the provider can then change it or not, depending on the severity and whether or not it's realistic to remove the issue ... I see essential oils just like any other product.

This coming from me who doesn't use essential oils religiously and I am definitely not a "crunchy" person, I now only use it as scent in a diffuser and sporatically directly on myself or my kids (mostly on my DD when she says she feels like it). My DD has ADHD and I tried a lot of different things to try to get her off of medication ... it worked a bit but for us was not as effective as her medication unfortunately. I pretty much use it now as an aeromatherapy/air freshener.

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
                    but I also have to wonder how many providers ask their parents about all of the household products they use in their home. Most cleaners use highly toxic chemicals which are worse to breath in than essential oils, especially aerosol products. Scents in these products are also artificial and toxic in and of themselves. So are most big brand plug-in air fresheners, scented candles and incenses. Most of us use bleach to disinfect and that's a HUGE asthmatic.
                    But those cleaners are kept behind locked cabinet doors and are strictly regulated by licensing.

Oils are not.

As a safety precaution, I would just discuss with parents PRIOR to use. It's easier to do that than it is to diffuse and angry parent.

This is a topic I discuss with parents during the enrollment process so I know which kids in care can and can't or shouldn't be around certain things.

Comment

But those cleaners are kept behind locked cabinet doors and are strictly regulated by licensing.

Oils are not.

As a safety precaution, I would just discuss with parents PRIOR to use. It's easier to do that than it is to diffuse and angry parent.

This is a topic I discuss with parents during the enrollment process so I know which kids in care can and can't or shouldn't be around certain things.
                      I never thought if it this way since I treat essential oils just like any other household product. Anything that should be kept out of the reach of children (which includes essential oils) is kept in a high cabinet higher than my head in my kitchen which also has a safety gate that is always kept closed. The kids are never allowed to go into the kitchen.

Even my defuser is kept far back in my kitchen and out of reach of the kids. Licensing has asked about it before and she just asked me if I kept the gate closed all of the times and kept the kids out of the kitchen and I said yes. The gate to my kitchen counts as "locked" in my area but I can see where the problem would lie if someone else didn't think of this and didn't lock them up or didn't keep them away from the kids.

ANYTHING that can cause a child to get sick if put on the skin or ingested should be kept out of reach. I forget that sometimes what I consider common sense for me isn't always common sense for others, I'm reminded of this pretty much when I read or watch the news

Comment

Wow these things should be sold with warnings!

Comment

I use them on myself and my children. I would never apply them topically to a daycare child, and I would ask before diffusing them.

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
                            I never thought if it this way since I treat essential oils just like any other household product. Anything that should be kept out of the reach of children (which includes essential oils) is kept in a high cabinet higher than my head in my kitchen which also has a safety gate that is always kept closed. The kids are never allowed to go into the kitchen.

Even my defuser is kept far back in my kitchen and out of reach of the kids. Licensing has asked about it before and she just asked me if I kept the gate closed all of the times and kept the kids out of the kitchen and I said yes. The gate to my kitchen counts as "locked" in my area but I can see where the problem would lie if someone else didn't think of this and didn't lock them up or didn't keep them away from the kids.

ANYTHING that can cause a child to get sick if put on the skin or ingested should be kept out of reach. I forget that sometimes what I consider common sense for me isn't always common sense for others, I'm reminded of this pretty much when I read or watch the news
                            EXACTLY!

Comment

My husband and son have a history of seizures and neither can be around certain oils being diffused. This warning came straight from a neurologist. I absolutely would check with parents. I would not be happy if my provider was diffusing without my knowledge. Even "healthy" oils and supplements carry risks to certain individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                                My husband and son have a history of seizures and neither can be around certain oils being diffused. This warning came straight from a neurologist. I absolutely would check with parents. I would not be happy if my provider was diffusing without my knowledge. Even "healthy" oils and supplements carry risks to certain individuals.
                                While I sympathize with you and tend to err on the side of caution myself when it comes to the oils I use in my own home and around the children I care for; I do not agree that you as a parent, need to be informed of a provider choosing to use oils in their own home.

If you or your child tend to have reactions to ANY substance, whether it be oils, pet dander, perfumes, etc; it is up to YOU to inform the people you choose to surround yourself with.
                                I just don't think it's reasonable to expect us as providers to never use anything in our own home that somebody might be allergic to.
                                If we had to go that route, we wouldn't be able to use a huge laundry list of items that just might be an irritant to some random person.

Comment

Working...
                                X