Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Kids Do You Care For At Once And What Ages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licensing allows 6 non school age, 2 school age. With 2 of those littles being under 2. I am maxed daily.

I have 3am sa kids from 7:30-8:15, then my regular crew arrives:

1-19mo
    1-23mo
    4-3yo's
    1-4yo

^ a mix of 6 of those daily.

2 after school kids from 3:30-5, ages depend on the day.

My advice is to structure your day. A set/roughed in time for meals and outside is a good place to start.

Eg.
    8:00-8:30 breakfast
    8:30-9:00 clean up/potty/diapers
    9:00-9:30 story time/circle time
    9:30-10:00 music/movement
    10:00-10:30 diapers/potty
    10:30-11:30 outside free play
    11:30 inside/wash up
    12:00-12:30 lunch
    12:30-1:00 diapers/potty
    1:00-3:00 rest time
    3:00-3:30 diapers/potty
    3:30-4:00 PM snack
    4:00-pickup free play outside

the regular potty breaks will stop you from going back and forth to the bathroom all.day.long. The kids will start to understand the flow of the day and transitions will be smooth. Outside time keeps kids busy/happy and keeps your sanity.

Hope that helps! It really boils down to planning ahead and staying on schedule. Most of my meals are already premade, quickly reheated and plated-5m prep.

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
      Licensing allows 1 tp 7 ratio ages 6 weeks to 5 years. An assistant is needed for over 7 and then the number is 2 to 12. If all children are over age 3 then the ration is 1 to 12. I work with 12 kids every day with my assistant.
      Yeah all 3 of my kids are grown & gone now, but I had 6 under 2.5 in IN (10 years ago) and my 2 dd's ... my children earned $$ by helping me with the kids cause they were over 13 yrs old at the time

Now I have 6 on the roster with 4 at anytime; today I have 21 month, an 8 month, 6 month & 4 month - I like my quiet time when they all go home

Comment

I work in a toddler room of a center. Our ratio is 6 to 1. So I have a 19 month old, a 20 month old, a 21 month old. And 3 newly 2 year olds. Routine is definitely needed. Also, changing what you are doing constantly is important. There attention span is very limited. I do an activity daily with them, but it has to be short and something they can do. Lots of singing, same songs over and over and over. The more I work with them the easier it is, because they know what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
          Licensing allows 6 non school age, 2 school age. With 2 of those littles being under 2. I am maxed daily.

I have 3am sa kids from 7:30-8:15, then my regular crew arrives:

1-19mo
          1-23mo
          4-3yo's
          1-4yo

^ a mix of 6 of those daily.

2 after school kids from 3:30-5, ages depend on the day.

My advice is to structure your day. A set/roughed in time for meals and outside is a good place to start.

Eg.
          8:00-8:30 breakfast
          8:30-9:00 clean up/potty/diapers
          9:00-9:30 story time/circle time
          9:30-10:00 music/movement
          10:00-10:30 diapers/potty
          10:30-11:30 outside free play
          11:30 inside/wash up
          12:00-12:30 lunch
          12:30-1:00 diapers/potty
          1:00-3:00 rest time
          3:00-3:30 diapers/potty
          3:30-4:00 PM snack
          4:00-pickup free play outside

the regular potty breaks will stop you from going back and forth to the bathroom all.day.long. The kids will start to understand the flow of the day and transitions will be smooth. Outside time keeps kids busy/happy and keeps your sanity.

Hope that helps! It really boils down to planning ahead and staying on schedule. Most of my meals are already premade, quickly reheated and plated-5m prep.
          I have somewhat of a similar schedule going. I guess the biggest hurdle for me is having a couple of parents who are NEVER on time. Because I have such a small group, they feel a huge benefit of bringing their kids to me is that I can be more flexible. Really, it makes my days more of a challenge though and drives me absolutely crazy. I can't afford to term people for this behavior. Very frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Baby View Post
            I have somewhat of a similar schedule going. I guess the biggest hurdle for me is having a couple of parents who are NEVER on time. Because I have such a small group, they feel a huge benefit of bringing their kids to me is that I can be more flexible. Really, it makes my days more of a challenge though and drives me absolutely crazy. I can't afford to term people for this behavior. Very frustrating!
            When I first started out I had this problem. I watched 5 kids total and 2 were mine. Drops offs were all over the place. It drove me nuts but these families were golden in every other way. I finally said "I love giving you the flexibility to drop off when is best for you, but I really hate when Lilly misses a painting project because I didn't know when you would be here, or I don't make enough snack because you normally aren't here that early, or we couldn't go on a walk because I didn't want to miss you, or I am changing diapers and can't give her a proper good morning hug. It makes my day chaotic. Please text me when you are on your way/or the night before/or 30 min before you will arrive (whatever you want) so that I can plan my day.

Comment

I'm confused why a small group means they can drop off whenever. If they have to be at work at x time, I'd think their drop off time would be more consistent. All of mine drop off at about the same time each day although it can vary by a few minutes. For example, 6 am dcg gets here between 6:00 and 6:10 (and I don't like it to vary by 10 minutes since she's my first one, and some days only one, and I could have slept 10 minutes longer ), and my 7:45 dcg arrives between 7:50 and 8:00 am. Is there a reason these parents can't have a specific drop off time? If I didn't know what time to expect the children to arrive, I'd never know what time I had to get up in the morning, when we could go for a walk or to the playground, when they best time is to run for the bathroom as quickly as possible... (yes, I schedule my bathroom breaks around drop off/pick up because I sure wouldn't want a parent to show up while I'm in the bathroom ).

Right now I have 5 on the roster (3 drop ins and 2 part timers), so some days I only have one and some days there's a possibility of having five). I'm legally only allowed five at one time. Oh, and the ages are 22 months, 23 months, two 3 year olds, and a 7 year old.
              Last edited by Preschool/daycare teacher; 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM. Reason: added the ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Preschool/daycare teacher View Post
                I'm confused why a small group means they can drop off whenever. If they have to be at work at x time, I'd think their drop off time would be more consistent. All of mine drop off at about the same time each day although it can vary by a few minutes. For example, 6 am dcg gets here between 6:00 and 6:10 (and I don't like it to vary by 10 minutes since she's my first one, and some days only one, and I could have slept 10 minutes longer ), and my 7:45 dcg arrives between 7:50 and 8:00 am. Is there a reason these parents can't have a specific drop off time? If I didn't know what time to expect the children to arrive, I'd never know what time I had to get up in the morning, when we could go for a walk or to the playground, when they best time is to run for the bathroom as quickly as possible... (yes, I schedule my bathroom breaks around drop off/pick up because I sure wouldn't want a parent to show up while I'm in the bathroom ).

Right now I have 5 on the roster (3 drop ins and 2 part timers), so some days I only have one and some days there's a possibility of having five). I'm legally only allowed five at one time. Oh, and the ages are 22 months, 23 months, two 3 year olds, and a 7 year old.
                We do have contracted drop off times. It just seems like the parents have a problem getting their stuff in order to be on time. Every single day they are 15-45 minutes late. I have mentioned it several times but they are just disabled in that way I suppose.

Oh and I forgot to mention that they live 4 houses down from me! I often wonder how they used to make it to their previous daycare on time. That one was clear across town!

Comment

We do have contracted drop off times. It just seems like the parents have a problem getting their stuff in order to be on time. Every single day they are 15-45 minutes late. I have mentioned it several times but they are just disabled in that way I suppose.

Oh and I forgot to mention that they live 4 houses down from me! I often wonder how they used to make it to their previous daycare on time. That one was clear across town!
                  THAT is your issue right there, they probably feel that since they live so close it's perfectly fine to wait till the last minute to leave the house, check the mail, walk to dog, whatever....before coming to get their kid. They were probably on time to their previous provider but then didn't have the time to do all that extra stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Nisaryn View Post
                    THAT is your issue right there, they probably feel that since they live so close it's perfectly fine to wait till the last minute to leave the house, check the mail, walk to dog, whatever....before coming to get their kid. They were probably on time to their previous provider but then didn't have the time to do all that extra stuff!
                    Actually the issue isn't being late for pick up, it is being late for dropping off every single morning.

I was new at doing daycare when I signed them on. I will try to avoid doing business with friends and neighbors in the future. They tend to take more advantage and it is harder to tell them no.

Comment

I'm only allowed 6 and my own count. I'm full so I currently have 14mo, two 2 1/2, 4,5, 10 4-6 days a week. When I'm not working it's not unusual for me to have 8 as I like to have my nieces and nephews over to play with their cousins. They are 18mos,almost3, 3, 5,10,11 and my own 2 are 2 1/2 and 5. I think a bigger group is sometimes easier, but that's just me.

Comment

I would say what you are capable of depends a lot on the ages of the children and their personalities. I've had some kids who would keep me busy, even if it is just them in my care. If they are older and better behaved, I can manage perfectly fine with a lot more children in my care.

It seems like in your case, you have a lot under the age of 3 and the parents are not on the same page. I would start with getting the parents in line and then if it still feels overwhelming, replace 1-2 of your younger children with someone older.

Comment

Are these kids all new to you? I think I saw where you were a new provider? I remember when I first started I was full almost immediately, as there is a great need for providers in my area. It was crazy! I remember thinking I was in way over my head. Transitioning 6 small kids at once is no joke. I would wait a couple months to settle everyone in and maybe just add 1-2 at a time. You'll find your groove. You got this.:

Comment

6 kids. All 3-4 year olds.

Comment

Everyday I have 12
                              3 - 13 m.o. 7am - 4 pm
                              3 - 2+y.o. 8am-5pm
                              6 - 3+ y.o. 7am- 6 or 7pm

Comment

My husband is pressuring me to get more kids, but I am nervous!
                                Let him be alone with your group of kids for a day. It should help

Comment

Working...
                                X