Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Kids Do You Care For At Once And What Ages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Kids Do You Care For At Once And What Ages?

Today I had 5 toddlers at once. One just turned 3, two are 2.5 yrs, a 2 year old, and a 22 month old. It was crazy. Nap time was nearly nonexistent and I couldn't get them to actually focus on any activities. I honestly do not think I could do that everyday. Am I just a huge wuss?

How many kids do you have on a regular basis and how old are they? How do you do it?

My husband is pressuring me to get more kids, but I am nervous!

Originally posted by Crazy Baby View Post
    Today I had 5 toddlers at once. One just turned 3, two are 2.5 yrs, a 2 year old, and a 22 month old. It was crazy. Nap time was nearly nonexistent and I couldn't get them to actually focus on any activities. I honestly do not think I could do that everyday. Am I just a huge wuss?

How many kids do you have on a regular basis and how old are they? How do you do it?

My husband is pressuring me to get more kids, but I am nervous!
    First off it depends on state & ratios/ages that are allowed before you can consider adding more kids... here in TN regardless of being Licensed or License exempt, I am limited to 4 kids because they are all 24 months or younger. In Indiana I had 6 under 3 years as a registered home & in AR I had 5 under 24 months (I know crazy, but legal). I learned that I can handle 5 or 6 littles over the years, but 4 is my sweet number if all the kids are FT.

Comment

I have 12.

3 months
      9 months
      18 months
      3-two yr olds
      3-three yr olds
      2-four yr olds
      2-five yr olds

One of the 5 yr olds fills the empty spaces during the week.

DH is usually around from 11-2ish daily/as needed.

Comment

I have 14

I have myself and an assistant all day long.

Comment

I have 11.

1- 16 month old
          1- 20 month old
          3- 2.5 yr old
          3- 3 yr old
          2- 4 yr old
          1- 5 yr old

Plus my own school ager.

I find my days SO much easier when I'm full, or at have at least 6 kids.
          I prefer older toddler and young preschoolers. The 4 & 5 year olds are the biggest challenge to my day.
          Last edited by Snowmom; 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM. Reason: my spelling is atrocious!

Comment

I am allowed 14, but I self cap at 12. My house is not all that large and is starts feeling claustrophobic at 12.

My ages and numbers change daily because I have so many kids with odd part time schedules. Today was my high day and this morning we had:
            Six kids ages 9 months- 2.5 years old
            Six kids from 3-4 years old.

I have two rooms dedicated to my childcare space and the five youngest go with my assistant. The seven oldest (2.5-4) stay with me for preschool activities. I don't spend a ton of time in the toddler room but I do feel like that room is way more stressful. One and two year-olds are much more likely to just wail when they are upset so there is a lot more fussing in that room.

If you are on your own I would try to enroll at least a few self sufficient kids in the group. (3-4 year-olds) Babies and toddlers are a challenging group.

Comment

1 - 4 month old
              1 - 10 month old
              2 - 2 year olds
              3 - 3 year olds
              1 - 4 year old
              1 - 5 year old (half days when she gets back from kindy)

So 9 kiddos including my kindergartner. Everyone naps 1-3 except the 4 year old. It goes pretty smoothly most days. I prefer having all kids be 15m and older but alas, everyone keeps making new babies :: I think it is a matter of practice, routine, clear boundaries and good structure to your day. I would figure out what the trigger are for your stress. What behaviors are a problem, how can you eliminate them or avoid them. Then, I might consider adding more children. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Though I do find groups of 6-9 children much easier to manage than 4-5. But the good classroom management has to be in place first.

Comment

I need to find a training on classroom management, that's where I lack skills.
                Those of you with over 6-8 dcks or so, do you all have assistants? The only time I have 10 dcks is during the summer and 2 of them were like mommy's helpers, they were great! Sadly they're aging out so I'm thinking of cutting back some of the SA kids that come. It's so difficult mixing the littles with big kids.
                I had 3 dcgs yesterday and I kept thinking all day long how perfect it was; just wish I could afford keeping that number.
                M-T-Th-Fr I have 6 dcks, 2 1 yos, 2 2yos, and 2 3yos. Wed. I have 3, 1 2 yo, and 2 3yo.
                The challenges I'm going through at the moment !) aggressiveness of toddlers and 2) all the potty training going on. I'm okay if it's mostly successful but when there's 1 that jumps on/jumps off then it's a hassle.

Comment

As far as your dh pressuring you, maybe he could take a day off work and be your assistant for 1 day. He might change his mind. You don't need to burn out from stretching yourself too thin. Do what you feel comfortable doing.

Comment

You guys make me feel like a wuss. I have three, - 2 year olds and a 4 year old. I have my own children (5 and 3), and am pregnant with my 3rd, due in Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
                      Those of you with over 6-8 dcks or so, do you all have assistants? The only time I have 10 dcks is during the summer and 2 of them were like mommy's helpers, they were great! Sadly they're aging out so I'm thinking of cutting back some of the SA kids that come. It's so difficult mixing the littles with big kids.
                      I had 3 dcgs yesterday and I kept thinking all day long how perfect it was; just wish I could afford keeping that number.
                      M-T-Th-Fr I have 6 dcks, 2 1 yos, 2 2yos, and 2 3yos. Wed. I have 3, 1 2 yo, and 2 3yo.
                      The challenges I'm going through at the moment !) aggressiveness of toddlers and 2) all the potty training going on. I'm okay if it's mostly successful but when there's 1 that jumps on/jumps off then it's a hassle.
                      I recommend this site for learning about early childhood behaviors via webinars.
                      edWeb.net professional learning communities (PLCs) offer free webinars and CE certificates for educators. Join to get advice and exchange ideas with peers.

I just watched one that I plan to share with my staff. It's called "what to do when nothing else works." It was in the classroom management for early learning community under archived webinars. The first five minutes was a little sad/scary but he used the case to make a point about how you just can't ignore aggressive early childhood behaviors, or dismiss them as a "phase."

Comment

As far as your dh pressuring you, maybe he could take a day off work and be your assistant for 1 day. He might change his mind. You don't need to burn out from stretching yourself too thin. Do what you feel comfortable doing.

ETA: I can have one more but right now have 4. It is just me. It is just me and a really really good routine for my group.

3 under 2
                        1 3 yo
                        My SA, who counts in my #s

Comment

Just me and my assistant, with once/twice a week our "gym guy" comes in for gym time. Last year was a big mix with only 1 kinder. This year is the year of the third graders and kinders.

Morning: (About 6-13 kids; ages 5yrs - 11yrs)
                          2 kinders
                          1 first graders
                          2 second graders
                          5 third graders
                          2 forth graders
                          1 sixth grader

Afternoon: (About 10-16 kids; ages 5yrs - 11yrs)
                          4 kinders
                          1 first grader
                          1 second grader
                          8 third graders
                          1 forth grader
                          1 sixth grader

Comment

It's only me, no assistant (11 kids). By nature, I'm an obsessively organized person and our routine is very, very consistent.
                            I personally do not prefer infants or older (SA) kids (besides my own). I do agree that mixing ages can be tough. The one drawback to keeping littles only is that I currently have 5 in diapers and 1 actively potty training. So, I do dread diaper changes!

Comment

Licensing allows 1 tp 7 ratio ages 6 weeks to 5 years. An assistant is needed for over 7 and then the number is 2 to 12. If all children are over age 3 then the ration is 1 to 12. I work with 12 kids every day with my assistant.

Comment

Working...
                              X