Client Wants To Visit the Home When Children Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
    I let parents that they can choose whether they'd rather come during the day or at night. During the day they can meet the children but it's harder to talk uninterrupted; at night we won't be interrupted but they won't get to see the children. If they choose to come during the day I schedule it for mid-morning when it's least crazy.
    This is how I've always done it. It's worked out well for me conducting interviews both during the day or after hours. I leave it up to the parents to decide which one they'd prefer.

Comment

For those of you who do daytime interviews....

How do you go over policies, expectations, etc in depth? Or do you?

I like to use the interview to go over my handbook and ask questions and can't imagine trying to do that while trying to keep an eye on everyone, too.

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post

I like to use the interview to go over my handbook and ask questions and can't imagine trying to do that while trying to keep an eye on everyone, too.
        A majority of the policies are discussed over the phone and via e-mail.

I will go over highlighted or bulletin points during the interview but that is more of a review of what has already been discussed before meeting face to face.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post

I don't go over my policies in depth during the interview - my Handbook is 58 pages and way too long to read over together. I email the Handbook to parents before the interview so they can look it over and bring questions to the interview. I realize that means that some won't read through it, but they agree to abide by the policies so I figure it's their problem if they don't know what they're agreeing to.

Comment

I do not do interviews/visits during daycare hours. I am in my house alone with children all 3 and under, I am going to keep it as safe as possible and not allow someone who I have no background on into my home. I do initial interviews in the evening when my husband is at home. I require both parents and child to attend. I will allow a parent to stay for 15-20 min. on the child's first morning but that is after I have all their paperwork on file.

I also agree that they will not see the REAL daycare setting in that visit. Kids act up much more than they would without the audience and I think most providers would be on their best behavior for that time as well.

Comment

I love hearing the differences in what everyone else does.

My process is this:
              1. Parents (calls or emails) are directed to my website where they can see my hours, general location, basic philosophies, rates and what's included.
              2. Initial interviews are set up on the weekend where we can talk uninterrupted, as well as the fact that I do not want strangers around the kids and I want my husband home (so I feel safer). My handbook is given then and I highlight important areas during our talk. Usually no more than 30 minutes- 1 hour.
              3. If they want or require a quick visit during daycare hours, that's fine as long as it's very brief as I have a couple kids who like to seriously test boundaries when another adult is around.

On an off topic note; I've had a couple past parents "comment" on my webpage with a reference, so I don't have to give those out anymore. I never understood why someone would ask for a complete stranger's telephone number to talk about another complete stranger.

Comment

Working...
              X