No announcement yet.

Client Wants To Visit the Home When Children Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let them come before their first day to introdue them to the other kids and show them our general routine, but it is a short visit (15 min or so) and then I send them on their way. Their first day is a quick drop off and we go from there. It is a hassle sometimes, but I make sure to schedule it when we are done with breakfast and everyone is ready to play. I also try to do it when we are out in the backyard too. My dcks are too busy playing, so it is a little less intense for the newbie and not such an inquisition for the m by the other kids. They are always curious when someone new comes around! I keep a small group, though, so I can definitely see why those with more kids wouldn't want visitors durig daycare. Just do whatever is best for you!

Comment

replies to all

I am so up in the air about this and I know why. I feel that as a parent I would want to see the childcare/preschool in action. I think though that I have heard so many stories of chaos occurring when this happens in homes.

I see that certain expectations of behaviors should occur with the children when there are visitors and certain expectations of the visitors should occur prior to a visit and honestly it would be great practice for the children to learn from the experiences.

My concern is when you have that one child who just does not give a .....and does what they want, or when you have a parent with no background working with children.

How I handle it is important and I want to try it but honestly I am a little intimidated as it would be my first time doing it.

It would be my first time doing this. I will look over the advice and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        I've never scheduled an interview outside of daycare hours.
        I scheduled an interview only outside of daycare hours. It usually takes around two hours. I can not imagine to do same when children are here during an interview.
        If someone asks me about a first visit during the daycare hours I always answer "NO". Just because I have a rule "no any strangers near my daycare kids". A second or third visit can be during my daycare hours, but an own kid of visitor must be here too.

Comment

The interview/going over handbook/answering questions is after hours. If someone wants to drop by for 10-20 minutes in the morning or after nap with their child that is fine. I think it's great for the child to see what the center is like beforehand so he/she knows where they are going to be going for child care is wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by ColorfulSunburst View Post
            I scheduled an interview only outside of daycare hours. It usually takes around two hours. I can not imagine to do same when children are here during an interview.
            If someone asks me about a first visit during the daycare hours I always answer "NO". Just because I have a rule "no any strangers near my daycare kids". A second or third visit can be during my daycare hours, but an own kid of visitor must be here too.
            I keep interviews on site during business hours to one hour max. Everything that can be discussed on the phone is done so before the actual face to face meeting. I don't do multiple meetings.

I also live in a small enough community that I don't have to worry about strangers around my kiddos. All my enrollments come from word of mouth from current or past clients so everyone knows everyone in one way or another.

I don't allow parents of enrolled children to stick around at drop off or come spend some time before actually attending though as once they decide to enroll, hanging out at drop off on the first day serves no purpose to anyone in my opinion.

lovethis Love hearing how others do things as it brings a ton of interesting ideas and thoughts to the table.

Comment

I am split on this. On one side I see protecting the kiddos, on the other, I see and understand that the parent wants to know what is really going on. I have done it both ways, but I try not to let my first meeting with parents be while children are here. A second meeting I feel better about, because I have met them.

Comment

Originally posted by grateday View Post
                I am so up in the air about this and I know why. I feel that as a parent I would want to see the childcare/preschool in action. I think though that I have heard so many stories of chaos occurring when this happens in homes.

I see that certain expectations of behaviors should occur with the children when there are visitors and certain expectations of the visitors should occur prior to a visit and honestly it would be great practice for the children to learn from the experiences.

My concern is when you have that one child who just does not give a .....and does what they want, or when you have a parent with no background working with children.

How I handle it is important and I want to try it but honestly I am a little intimidated as it would be my first time doing it.

It would be my first time doing this. I will look over the advice and go from there.
                I tell parents that the children like to show off when a new adult is around.... They might get wild and not listen. I then explain that once the new adult is gone, the children go back to behaving.
                I also schedule them during outside time... The kids have less trouble to get in while they are outside running around.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
                  I am split on this. On one side I see protecting the kiddos, on the other, I see and understand that the parent wants to know what is really going on. I have done it both ways, but I try not to let my first meeting with parents be while children are here. A second meeting I feel better about, because I have met them.
                  The worst provider on the planet will act like Mary Poppins and Nanny McPhee rolled into one while being watched.

Even the best provider in the world may be caught on a bad day with difficult, cranky kids and appear out of control.

So I feel that they never REALLY see how things are run.

I always tell parents to watch for happy kids coming and going from daycare. That's the best indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post

agree!

Comment

The worst provider on the planet will act like Mary Poppins and Nanny McPhee rolled into one while being watched.

Even the best provider in the world may be caught on a bad day with difficult, cranky kids and appear out of control.

I always tell parents to watch for happy kids coming and going from daycare. That's the best indicator.
                      That is true, anyone can look awesome for an hour I suppose. I guess I just hate to think like that.

Comment

Yes, it's right!

Comment

Every time I have done an interview with as little as 2 kids in care it does not work out. I wouldn't do it. Tell her you arent allowed to have strangers in your dc during business hours. After all you want to be able to focus on then interview. I have found that it's to much of a pain, and way to stressful. Offer to do an after hours interview at least the first time then do another one if she really wants to.
                          Deb

Comment

Yes and no.

It's really hard to sustain the act the longer the parent is there.

And there are people who do/say things to the kids that they feel are appropriate but would make you go
                            For instance I had a kid in my care whose last day care provider thought it was a good idea to bite him to show him why biting was bad
                            And she *proudly* told mom that at pick up... She wasn't hiding her stupid.

I'm in the camp of allowing parents to visit during dc, and I also refuse to do anything differently. So kids who act up sit in time out even with a visitor here Also, most parents understand the kids will act up to an extent, but they are looking to see how it's handled. They are looking to see what goes on in the program. I would do the same. And honestly I'd wonder about the provider who claimed they didn't want to have a parent visit due to poor behavior on the kids part.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                              Yes and no.

It's really hard to sustain the act the longer the parent is there.

And there are people who do/say things to the kids that they feel are appropriate but would make you go
                              For instance I had a kid in my care whose last day care provider thought it was a good idea to bite him to show him why biting was bad
                              And she *proudly* told mom that at pick up... She wasn't hiding her stupid.

I'm in the camp of allowing parents to visit during dc, and I also refuse to do anything differently. So kids who act up sit in time out even with a visitor here Also, most parents understand the kids will act up to an extent, but they are looking to see how it's handled. They are looking to see what goes on in the program. I would do the same. And honestly I'd wonder about the provider who claimed they didn't want to have a parent visit due to poor behavior on the kids part.
                              I've had many parents enroll BECAUSE of how I managed the conflict, occasional chaos and "showy" behaviors from the kids that happen when there was a new audience present.

Comment

I let parents that they can choose whether they'd rather come during the day or at night. During the day they can meet the children but it's harder to talk uninterrupted; at night we won't be interrupted but they won't get to see the children. If they choose to come during the day I schedule it for mid-morning when it's least crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X