Client Wants To Visit the Home When Children Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Wants To Visit the Home When Children Present

I live in MN and I don't see anything in the rule that says it cannot be done
    I have never done it before
    Has anyone ever done it in a way so that it works out with the kids
    Short time span, right time of day, consent with families, individual background of potential client and how they understand children.

I have never had a client come during childcare hours but if they might or happen to be an educator with experience working with young children it might be ok, or say a teachers assistant from a center. I would not want any other parent though unless they understood the dynamics of children, the different temperments, etc.

So what do you think, some part of me says it can be done, but some other part of me says what about the consequences.........Visitors and children going crazy for your undivided attention= problems

I don't provide that service. My parents wouldn't want strangers in the house while I'm caring for their kids.
    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I wouldn't do that, I would not be comfortable allowing that for many reasons, privacy for the other children in my care, throws my routine off schedule, kids act different, parent watching my every move, a second goodbye which could be an issue, parent wanting to chit chat which takes my focus off of the kids, etc. Even if all those things could be resolved I still wouldn't do it because it not how I have my business set up, it's not something I want to do. If a parent needed that they would need to choose a different provider.

Comment

I don't allow it. WAY too disruptive and a possible safety issue.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
          I don't provide that service. My parents wouldn't want strangers in the house while I'm caring for their kids.
          This...

Comment

thanks

Sometimes I just need that extra advice even though I know it would be a disaster. Thank you everyone

Comment

I'm a little late in the game but I do it. I require it actually ... but not before a telephone interview and an in person interview during non business hours. I like to see who I'm dealing with and get together with both parents (if there are two) and the child.

Then I have one parent come back with their child for a short 30 minute "play date". I like to see how the parent handles the way that I handle the kids. I also like the extra chance to see the child actually interact with the other kids. This way I can try to catch any "red flags" regarding the child's behavior or an overprotective parent. It also gives me an extra glimpse to get a little feel for the dynamics in the family (is mom firm, overbearing, critical, too casual etc)

Comment

I always invite families to visit during my time with kids. They may come in the mornings between drop-off and lunch, or after nap but before pick-up. I want them to see what our day is like--not just what the environment is like. If I were a parent looking for child care, I'd want to see how the provider interacted with children, what the tone of the group was, how children were allowed to use the space, etc... I let them know that I may not be able to talk much then; that the children must come first. I put out something interesting to keep the kids pretty independently engaged (this week while we had a visitor, it was play dough, and watercolor painting). So usually, I am able to talk. I also have lots available for them to read/look at: parent handbook, sample documentation of learning, project work, etc. So if I'm busy, they have plenty to do. I let the kids know we'll be having a visitor, and what my expectations for behavior are. I also let parents know (I don't ask permission).

Inevitably, something will go wrong at some point. My own daughter once hit a younger girl when she was visiting. Her mother still enrolled her, and later her sister. I think the question is not "how will the kids act," but rather, "how will I handle it?" A good parent will understand that stuff happens, and if you handle it well, it's a great example of what kids will learn in your care.

Comment

I wouldn't, for the sake of the privacy of the other children.

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
                    I'm a little late in the game but I do it. I require it actually ... but not before a telephone interview and an in person interview during non business hours. I like to see who I'm dealing with and get together with both parents (if there are two) and the child.

Then I have one parent come back with their child for a short 30 minute "play date". I like to see how the parent handles the way that I handle the kids. I also like the extra chance to see the child actually interact with the other kids. This way I can try to catch any "red flags" regarding the child's behavior or an overprotective parent. It also gives me an extra glimpse to get a little feel for the dynamics in the family (is mom firm, overbearing, critical, too casual etc)
                    I do it exactly the same. The parent is told up front to expect the kids to act out and that they can only stay for about 20-30 min because no parent can be left alone in a room with the kids at any time.

Always works out well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by nothingwithoutjoy View Post
                      I always invite families to visit during my time with kids. They may come in the mornings between drop-off and lunch, or after nap but before pick-up. I want them to see what our day is like--not just what the environment is like. If I were a parent looking for child care, I'd want to see how the provider interacted with children, what the tone of the group was, how children were allowed to use the space, etc... I let them know that I may not be able to talk much then; that the children must come first. I put out something interesting to keep the kids pretty independently engaged (this week while we had a visitor, it was play dough, and watercolor painting). So usually, I am able to talk. I also have lots available for them to read/look at: parent handbook, sample documentation of learning, project work, etc. So if I'm busy, they have plenty to do. I let the kids know we'll be having a visitor, and what my expectations for behavior are. I also let parents know (I don't ask permission).

Inevitably, something will go wrong at some point. My own daughter once hit a younger girl when she was visiting. Her mother still enrolled her, and later her sister. I think the question is not "how will the kids act," but rather, "how will I handle it?" A good parent will understand that stuff happens, and if you handle it well, it's a great example of what kids will learn in your care.
                      In my case I work with babies... protecting my new charges is my main concern & the fact that it's just me & 3 or 4 littles under 14 months at this time - Nope, it's crazy enough trying to get things done without people watching over my back. I use to do the 30 minute thing and stopped years ago because it was way too disruptive and my job is to care for my kids, not be answering a million questions from someone who may or my not have a clear background (if you know what I mean).

Comment

Originally posted by nothingwithoutjoy View Post

^^^^^ This!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never scheduled an interview outside of daycare hours.

I WANT potential clients to see what truly happens here during the day.
                        I WANT potential clients to see me manage conflict, praise successes, encourage friendship, juggle kids' personal needs, initiate discoveries, promote manners and most of all, I WANT potential clients to see how I personally multi-task, maintain and manage the in's and out's of my daily routine.

I am also in the camp of NOT preparing my environment for interviews either. I read tons of providers that will deep clean, organize and go all out to make their homes presentable for an interview (on a personal note, as a parent I would not choose that provider because of that).
                        Again, I WANT potential clients to see on interview day the same things they will see on day #1 and day #100.

Presenting myself as extremely organized, hospital-like clean and without a toy or piece of equipment out of place would not be an accurate portrayal of myself or my program. I would feel fake if I tried to present myself in one way and then operated in a different way so when I interview NO special preparations are made at all.

I also think it's fantastic for the current daycare kids to get an opportunity to be ambassadors of our program and let them demonstrate their abilities to get along, play well, follow the rules and "show" the potential client what a portion of their day is like. It's great practice for them to use their manners and social skills!

I am also in MN and there are NO rules that dictate when or how we conduct interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                          ^^^^^ This!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never scheduled an interview outside of daycare hours.

I WANT potential clients to see what truly happens here during the day.
                          I WANT potential clients to see me manage conflict, praise successes, encourage friendship, juggle kids' personal needs, initiate discoveries, promote manners and most of all, I WANT potential clients to see how I personally multi-task, maintain and manage the in's and out's of my daily routine.

I am also in the camp of NOT preparing my environment for interviews either. I read tons of providers that will deep clean, organize and go all out to make their homes presentable for an interview (on a personal note, as a parent I would not choose that provider because of that).
                          Again, I WANT potential clients to see on interview day the same things they will see on day #1 and day #100.

Presenting myself as extremely organized, hospital-like clean and without a toy or piece of equipment out of place would not be an accurate portrayal of myself or my program. I would feel fake if I tried to present myself in one way and then operated in a different way so when I interview NO special preparations are made at all.

I also think it's fantastic for the current daycare kids to get an opportunity to be ambassadors of our program and let them demonstrate their abilities to get along, play well, follow the rules and "show" the potential client what a portion of their day is like. It's great practice for them to use their manners and social skills!

I am also in MN and there are NO rules that dictate when or how we conduct interviews.

...my feelings exactly! I only interview during business hours. They are being interviewed for a place in my daycare not my family. I will however try to schedule around any difficult behaviors I may have at the time.

Comment

We do it at our daycare often because people might be interested in meeting their child's teacher and get a feel for what their child would encounter during the day as far as routine.

Comment

I in no way mean this snotty but I wont do it unless absolutely necessary. Too much pressure for me.

I don't want to do it. I don't have to do it. Therefore it wont be done.

Kudos to you that do! As a parent I would want that opportunity as well.
                              I just personally couldn't handle feeling judged my every move. Perhaps I'm not as trained as you all either.

I like my peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X