Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother Telling Child Certain Foods Cause Cancer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I am glad I grow and can as many as I can in the summer. I knew the store ones don't really have a flavor. We do used canned ones, I just can't grow enough.

Comment

I just grab my tomatoes from the yard but yes. I love me some of that horrible popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        LOL! :: Here is the short version...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...523E7B85BACBBB
        OMG that is the coolest thing i have ever seen. Why have I never seen that before?

I don't think that I would ever eat it, I don't like popcorn, but I just want to make some.

Do they still sell that or is something from the past??

Comment

Tomato is a plant. The fruit is a familiar vegetable, but the fruit, leaf, and vine are used to make medicine.

Tomato is used for preventing cancer of the breast, bladder, cervix, colon and rectum, stomach, lung, ovaries, pancreas, and prostate. It is also used to prevent diabetes, diseases of the heart and blood vessels (cardiovascular disease), cataracts, and asthma.

Some people use tomato to treat high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, the common cold, chills, and digestive disorders.

How does it work?
          Tomatoes contain a chemical called lycopene, which is thought to play a role in preventing cancer. It’s easier for the body to use lycopene that comes from tomato products, such as tomato paste or tomato juice, than from fresh tomatoes.

US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Purdue University researchers are developing a tomato that contains more than twice as much lycopene and has a longer shelf life than currently available tomatoes. The tomato, which is still in development, is modified with a yeast gene that slows the ripening process, allowing more time for lycopene to accumulate. Researchers think it will be several years before this tomato is on store shelves.
          It:: will wait

Comment

You are right but the lycopene content in store bought tomatoes pales in comparison to organic or garden grown. Also some might argue that the harm being done by the chemicals used to produce tomatoes outweighs any benefit the lycopene might provide.

As for the GMO plant being "manufactured" by researchers in a lab at Perdue, there is zero research available on how these modified genes interact with the human body. Ingesting something that might be causing cancer in order to fight cancer is a bit odd isn't it? More research needs to be done in my opinion and that research needs to be made available to the public and done by an independent third party.

There wouldn't need to be super cancer fighting tomatoes if we stopped using so many chemicals and GMO's to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
              OMG that is the coolest thing i have ever seen. Why have I never seen that before?

I don't think that I would ever eat it, I don't like popcorn, but I just want to make some.

Do they still sell that or is something from the past??
              Jiffy pop used to be the bomb... you can still buy it at some stores like Walmart and Amazon. I grew up eating that when I was little. Haven't had it in years

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                and autism.

I buy organic tomatoes and we have an air popper for popcorn. No microwave.
                This is me. I also have no microwave; I thought I was an oddball. My babies don't know any better because they are littles, but parents sort of wonder how I manage to cook without one... The old fashioned way

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
                  This is me. I also have no microwave; I thought I was an oddball. My babies don't know any better because they are littles, but parents sort of wonder how I manage to cook without one... The old fashioned way
                  I don't understand how some people claim to "cook" meals in a microwave. I use it to reheat stuff but never to "cook".

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                    Ok here goes! Tomatoes are gassed with chemicals so that they ripen and turn red on trucks. That way the tomato is nice and red when it arrives at the store. Most tomatoes come from Florida where this is practiced. Tomatoes are also Genetically Modified Organisms. This basically means that most tomatoes that are not grown organically have spliced genes to make them bigger, redder, rounder etc. They also make them frost resistant by splicing them with arctic char genes....yes that's a fish!

Some people think these chemicals and GMO foods are responsible for the increasing numbers of cancer and diabetes in our country.
                    I agree that gmo's are bad. I grow my own. According to GMO Compass there are not any gmo tomatoes anymore. There was the one that had salmon genes back in the 90's.....

Comment

I read tons of health news and lots on GMO's and have never seen reports on tomatoes being GMO. Sugar beets and sugar is in everything, zucchini, papaya, canola oil, soy - like 90% but not organic soy products! and corn feed to beef cattle. Just recently some GMO sweet corn arrived on the seen.

Cans with plastic lining...scary! Especially acidic food like tomatoes. Microwave popcorn? Bad news!

As far as telling a child extreme info on these foods? That's scary too!

Comment

Working...
                      X