Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother Telling Child Certain Foods Cause Cancer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother Telling Child Certain Foods Cause Cancer...

What would you say if a child in your care told you his mom told him that microwave popcorn and tomatoes make you have cancer if you eat them and showed him pictures of it?
    I didn't know what to say.

How old is the child? Depending on the age, I might have issues with at least the picture part

BTW, I don't eat Microwave popcorn for the same reason... the FDA put a study out that states not just one but 2 issues with the chemicals used... the tomatoes, again if they are canned they don't come into my house (BPA lined cans can leach because of the acidity). My youngest dd pointed out the studies to me when she was 16 (she's 22 now).

Comment

nothing.....we can't tell parents what to teach or not teach their children.

NONE of my old children will eat fast food because when they were little my Uncle was very over weight, bad diet died of a heart attack. My kids asked me did he eat too much fast food and I said yes and told them what happens to your body and bad food. they were 4 and 6 at the time, now 17 and 19, they have never touched it..

I would just say thanks for sharing, drop it and move on.

I have kids from all walks of life with very interesting traditions, beliefs and etc. Some very superstitious. They tell me things like if you cut noodled you will die. In their county noodles are a sign on longevity. I just say oh, thanks for sharing.

If you bring to much attention to it, the kids will continue to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Laura5287 View Post
        What would you say if a child in your care told you his mom told him that microwave popcorn and tomatoes make you have cancer if you eat them and showed him pictures of it?
        I didn't know what to say.
        I wouldn't say anything. I don't serve popcorn to the kids in care and I grow tomatoes organically so that's not an issue for me either.

I'd just smile at the child and say "So, what book should we read for story time" and change the subject.

I've heard kids tell me all sorts of funny stuff their parents have told them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          I wouldn't say anything. I don't serve popcorn to the kids in care and I grow tomatoes organically so that's not an issue for me either.

I'd just smile at the child and say "So, what book should we read for story time" and change the subject.

I've heard kids tell me all sorts of funny stuff their parents have told them.
          me too, including what "size" their daddy is.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            lmao I just fell out of my chair.

I had a dcb tell me several months ago that him and his dad's privates are the same size so they share the toilet when they pee.......

thanks for the reminder oooohhhh I wish I didn't have to think about that again...

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
              I had a dcb tell me several months ago that him and his dad's privates are the same size so they share the toilet when they pee......
              :: Either the kid is very well endowed or......!::
              I'm so sorry! I probably shouldn't have gone there but it's been one of "those" days and that just made me laugh so hard! If only parents knew what their kids tell us!::

Comment

Originally posted by e.j. View Post
                I'm so sorry! I probably shouldn't have gone there but it's been one of "those" days and that just made me laugh so hard! If only parents knew what their kids tell us!::
                lmao yeah i am having that day too.... I can't tell you how long this day is and the worst part is that I have 2 interviews tonight after daycare hours......the laugh was much needed

Comment

I was more concerned over the pictures being shown. He is paranoid about things as it is so I was surprised that she told him. They are very healthy, mom is anyway, dad not so much. One tells me one thing, the other says another. Dad said feed him sausage biscuits everyday, which I do not, because he won't eat anything else. In a way, I am glad this was brought up because I had no idea about the popcorn. I do serve it but only a little and only on Fridays and only to kids 4 and older.

Comment

Originally posted by e.j. View Post
                    ::::

Comment

tomatoes are actually a cancer fighting food. We need to eat more of them.

Pictures are a no go but If mom wants to say microwave popcorn, bacon hot dogs, are bad then that is ok I guess
                      It:: will wait

Comment

perhaps maybe dcm meant the pesticides that are on the tomatoes.

Comment

Well we did quit the micro popcorn, and found it is super easy with some oil or butter and popcorn kernals in a turned down paper lunch bag in the micro without the chemicals. Try it!!!

Comment

I bought an air popper and the kids love using it! I pour coconut oil on it with cinnamon and voila, a super healthy treat.

As for the cancer I do agree with mom but I think she is going overboard but some parents believe in full disclosure. I just tell my kids that there are chemicals that are not good for their bellies. They accept that explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                              One of my favorite kid quotes ever, from when I was teaching in the south, and had a kid with a very southern accent:
                              "Mah penis is big!" to a kid, then "mah penis is little, but mah daddy's penis is BIG!"

Comment

Working...
                              X