1% or Skim Milk, only, after 24 months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by melilley View Post
    In order to get reimbursed, technically. you only have to offer a component. You could always buy the smallest container of 1% and offer the minimum amount and give whole along with it. I agree with MN though, I would have parents supply the whole milk since you are already buying the other milk.
    Just an idea.

Comment

OK, thanks everyone. lovethis

This info does help.

Hopefully it will help others as well...
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

The majority of children get plenty of fat in their diets . In fact they get too much. But if a family is on a low fat diet and only eats lean meat and maybe vegetarian then whole milk would be important. BUT the kids eat chicken nuggets, fries, hamburgers etc and they get plenty of fat.

Do not commit fraud. Truthfully I have never had a parent ask what kind of milk I serve.
        It:: will wait

Comment

I only serve 2% milk - they want whole they can bring it themselves. Actually, over the years I have cut down a lot on the amount of milk I serve. I think its important kids learn to drink water, so many don't/won't.

Comment

The IRS doesn't care what you feed the kids. Serve them what you want.

In CA, we're allowed only to serve 1% milk, 4 oz of full-strength juice a day, and water. It doesn't matter whether we are on the food program or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
              I only serve 2% milk - they want whole they can bring it themselves. Actually, over the years I have cut down a lot on the amount of milk I serve. I think its important kids learn to drink water, so many don't/won't.

My own belief on milk is that it isn't an essential dietary component. Everything that parents think the child needs from milk can also be found in other food sources.

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
                The IRS doesn't care what you feed the kids. Serve them what you want.

In CA, we're allowed only to serve 1% milk, 4 oz of full-strength juice a day, and water. It doesn't matter whether we are on the food program or not.
                Not where I am. My food program requires me to give whole milk to children 1-2 years of age, after 2 I have to serve 1%. It's the same for me about the juice and water. Juice counts as serving of fruit (as long as it's 100% juice) and water has to be available at all times.

But yes, the IRS doesn't care what you serve. You can serve Cheetos and fruit punch for all meals as far as they're concerned.

OP:
                If parents opt to give their child over 2 years old whole milk then I have to at least "offer" it. I say "Johnny do you want the pink milk (1%) or the red milk (whole)?" Usually they choose whole but I require the parents to supply anything that I can't count as a serving on my food program because I still have to buy the 1% milk. It has only been a problem for me once and mom brought me whole milk for a few weeks then just stopped so I gave DCB 1% milk from then on.

Really, it shouldn't be a big deal. Our milk servings are so small that if you stick with them you can just tell the parents that you will provide 1% at daycare and that they can give them whole milk at home. Parents usually serve their kids at least twice as much milk as they should anyway so if they are worried about the extra that 1% milk is lacking the they can make it up at home. You know they fill a sippy with milk while their child walks around at home or serve them more than is required for their meal anyway ::.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post

My own belief on milk is that it isn't an essential dietary component. Everything that parents think the child needs from milk can also be found in other food sources.
                  I am with you... ::::

I am just trying to work with the fad of the day as long as it doesn't negatively impact my business. IYKWIM The % issue applying to me was new info since I am not on the food program.

Skim milk is pretty gross, though. Like someone refilled your glass from the wrong container. What I fear happening is the kids who won't drink it missing out on that calcuim/D. They get whole at home, but are here more waking hours.

*I will view it as another water serving and offer an extra serving of a better source like spinach/tuna/kale/salmon/cheese/eggs. I am tweaking my menu as we speak, luckily I am good with a food processor ::. Easy, peasy. happyface

(even if the IRS does not care the QRIS does, so I have to play the game.. I just do not have great access to the rules )
                  - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
                    Have you tried explaining the scientific reasons behind it? Kids no longer need whole milk after 2. They only need it before 2 because they require the extra fat content needed for brain development. After 2, it's just extra fat in their diets.
                    I'm 48. I drink milk all my live every day (whole milk). I love milk. My weight is 150 pounds.
                    My daughter is 23. She drinks milk every day. Her weight is 125 pounds.
                    My husband doesn't drink milk since he was 2y.o. His weight is ... 360 pounds.
                    My daughter and me don't drink Cola and don't eat fast-food. My husband does.
                    Amen.))))

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                      Oh no, I didn't mean YOU were fibbing!!
                      Oh, hun... no worries. lovethis I am too literal to have seen that as personal judgement. ::

If the IRS follows the USDA Meal Guideline as their gold standard, serving anything other than fat free after 2 years old disqualifies the meal. If that is true, I absolutely fibbed.

Ignorance of the facts does not excuse it. That is what we are taught. I only hope it isn't the truth. Still reading how black and white they are on the topic and the effective date.

I know I did not do it deliberately, so I was not hurt by your words at all. I only saw truth in them. lovethis

This is what I found:

"Standard meal and snack rates. If you qualify as a family daycare provider, you can use the standard meal and snack rates, instead of actual costs, to compute the deductible cost of meals and snacks provided to eligible children. For these purposes:

A family daycare provider is a person engaged in the business of providing family daycare.

Family daycare is childcare provided to eligible children in the home of the family daycare provider. The care must be non-medical, not involve a transfer of legal custody, and generally last less than 24 hours each day.

Eligible children are minor children receiving family daycare in the home of the family daycare provider. Eligible children do not include children who are full-time or part-time residents in the home where the childcare is provided or children whose parents or guardians are residents of the same home. Eligible children do not include children who receive daycare services for personal reasons of the provider. For example, if a provider provides daycare services for a relative as a favor to that relative, that child is not an eligible child.

You can compute the deductible cost of each meal and snack you actually purchased and served to an eligible child during the time period you provided family daycare using the standard meal and snack rates shown in Table 3, later. You can use the standard meal and snack rates for a maximum of one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner, and three snacks per eligible child per day. If you receive reimbursement for a particular meal or snack, you can deduct only the portion of the applicable standard meal or snack rate that is more than the amount of the reimbursement.

You can use either the standard meal and snack rates or actual costs to calculate the deductible cost of food provided to eligible children in the family daycare for any particular tax year. If you choose to use the standard meal and snack rates for a particular tax year, you must use the rates for all your deductible food costs for eligible children during that tax year. However, if you use the standard meal and snack rates in any tax year, you can use actual costs to compute the deductible cost of food in any other tax year.

If you use the standard meal and snack rates, you must maintain records to substantiate the computation of the total amount deducted for the cost of food provided to eligible children. The records kept should include the name of each child, dates and hours of attendance in the daycare, and the type and quantity of meals and snacks served. This information can be recorded in a log similar to the one shown in Exhibit A, near the end of this publication.

The standard meal and snack rates include beverages, but do not include non-food supplies used for food preparation, service, or storage, such as containers, paper products, or utensils. These expenses can be claimed as a separate deduction on your Schedule C (Form 1040). "

Comment

Originally posted by MV View Post
                        Not where I am. My food program requires me to give whole milk to children 1-2 years of age, after 2 I have to serve 1%. It's the same for me about the juice and water. Juice counts as serving of fruit (as long as it's 100% juice) and water has to be available at all times.

But yes, the IRS doesn't care what you serve. You can serve Cheetos and fruit punch for all meals as far as they're concerned.

OP:
                        If parents opt to give their child over 2 years old whole milk then I have to at least "offer" it. I say "Johnny do you want the pink milk (1%) or the red milk (whole)?" Usually they choose whole but I require the parents to supply anything that I can't count as a serving on my food program because I still have to buy the 1% milk. It has only been a problem for me once and mom brought me whole milk for a few weeks then just stopped so I gave DCB 1% milk from then on.

Really, it shouldn't be a big deal. Our milk servings are so small that if you stick with them you can just tell the parents that you will provide 1% at daycare and that they can give them whole milk at home. Parents usually serve their kids at least twice as much milk as they should anyway so if they are worried about the extra that 1% milk is lacking the they can make it up at home. You know they fill a sippy with milk while their child walks around at home or serve them more than is required for their meal anyway ::.
                        You're correct. I was talking about kids over the age of 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
                          Have you tried explaining the scientific reasons behind it? Kids no longer need whole milk after 2. They only need it before 2 because they require the extra fat content needed for brain development. After 2, it's just extra fat in their diets.
                          Milk is not essential to our diets at all, but science has actually proven exactly the opposite. Healthy fat is taken out of 1 and 2% milk and made up for (by volume) with milk SUGAR. Your body does fine with good fats (avocado, coconut oil, etc) and actually needs those things to stay feeling full and draw nutrition out of the other foods you eat. What is damaging is sugar. *IF* you are going to drink milk, it is healthier for everyone to drink whole.

Comment

Here the food program makes me serve 1%. All of my parents want whole milk. They demand it.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post

Yes. This.

I was scrolling before I posted. Was going to say that I'm in the camp of serving whole until their 2nd birthday, and 1% after that ... IF they love milk and ask for it!! Milk isn't essential for humans. We can get the calcium, for example, in broccoli and other greens, and in calcium-fortified items like OJ.

I know you weren't posting a debate over this, but I just wanted to shout out my thoughts on milk. No one in my family (my parents, myself, and 2 brothers) grew up as milk drinkers beyond our young childhood, and ended up pretty healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                                I know you weren't posting a debate over this, but I just wanted to shout out my thoughts on milk. No one in my family (my parents, myself, and 2 brothers) grew up as milk drinkers beyond our young childhood, and ended up pretty healthy.
                                No. :hug: I love debates. I want to learn about this.

Angelsj, My clients are saying whole is the only healthy cows milk and they would rather water be served than 1% after two. They'd prefer me to serve yogurt/cheese and a glass of water instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X