No announcement yet.

Taking Bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a mom of THREE kids stiff me like that. Excuse after excuse. She had me feeling sorry for her situation, and I guess I let her get away with the excuses waaayyyy too long. I watched 3 kids for 4 weeks, and got zero money.

It was many, many years ago, so I don't remember all the details. I know that I was requiring deposits then, as I still do, but it seems like she asked if she could split it up over a few payments.

I can't remember if they were full-time, but I probably lost somewhere near $1000. Couldn't take her to court because she moved around a lot. Turns out she was a con-artist of sorts. I called the police, not knowing whether they could help or not, and they HAD heard of her. She had written bad checks, or something like that. (Again, I've put it out of my mind, so I don't remember what it was.)

I kicked myself after it was over. I have NO idea how I could have let this happen. But I learned a valuable lesson -- No deposit, no start. And once they're established, if they miss a payment, they can't come back till it's payed.

Comment

Update?

Comment

Curious on an update, too.

Comment

I am curious as well! I wonder if she'll show this morning...with cash. I have a term letter printed and signed to hand her after she settles up (if she indeed does). I'm tired of chasing her and I'm tired of the lack of communication.

I will let you all know later this morning if she shows. Fingers crossed! ::

Comment

Speaking of lack of communication...I need a vote. Please read her email to me that she sent on Monday morning and tell me if you believed the kids would be here today (Wednesday):

"Also we are going to have to adjust our schedule, ****(dad) has changed his mind and now wants them on different days.
            So this week he has them today and tomorrow
            Next week he has them Wednesday and Thursday."

That email lead me to believe they would be here today. However, when I sent mom a text at 9am today asking what time they would be arriving so we could start preschool, she stated that she doesn't get the boys back until tonight.

Thoughts?

Comment

Sounds like she is dragging it out so she doesnt have to pay.Call her and tell her she needs to bring the money TODAY regardless if the kids are there or not.
              Give her a deadline and if ahe doesn't ahow up then term and take her to court.
              She's playing a game,refuse to play!

Comment

Today (Mon), tomorrow (Tues), yes I would have thought they would be there on Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
                  Today (Mon), tomorrow (Tues), yes I would have thought they would be there on Wednesday.
                  Same here.

I would also call and tell her the money is due today no matter when the boys are due back.

She is definitely trying to drag something on... :confused:

Comment

Well, I just got back from her bank and cashed two out of the three returned checks using my legal copy. There weren't enough funds to cash the third, so I'm hanging on to it until there are.

I doubt I will ever see her again. I doubted it last week, and the doubt is growing stronger. People suck.

Comment

Well at least you got to cash 2 out of 3 checks and are only out one check right now and not all three. How much was the check for that she still owes?

I'd keep trying to go back in every couple of days until the bank says there's enough to cover that last check. Hopefully she has automatic deposits or keeps depositing her checks and doesn't think to simply cash them. Hope you get your money.

Comment

Originally posted by MV View Post
                        Well at least you got to cash 2 out of 3 checks and are only out one check right now and not all three. How much was the check for that she still owes?

I'd keep trying to go back in every couple of days until the bank says there's enough to cover that last check. Hopefully she has automatic deposits or keeps depositing her checks and doesn't think to simply cash them. Hope you get your money.
                        If she's trying to play games, which it sounds like she is, she will probably now make sure her account is empty, now that the first 2 are cashed

Comment

So I just talked to her on the phone...she called me to say that she saw the checks go through her account and she had no idea that they had "unfrozen" the bank account! She told me that the bank told her to ask me not to cash any more checks until they got everything straightened out. I told her that was totally fine, she could pay me cash for the remaining check and I would tear it up.

She launched into a huge story about how it was the bank's fault, not her's, and she shouldn't have to pay me cash when she already paid me a check, and if I could just hold the next few week's checks until she gave me the go ahead...

And I stopped her mid-sentence. I asked her if I had not made it very clear that she was on a cash only basis from now on, to which she replied "I guess not." She said she's still bringing the kids in the morning, and I reminded her that they could not stay unless her account was 100% current.

Also, did anyone know this (I did not until this morning): Some states (including KS) will allow you to recoup the cost of the bad check times treble--meaning three times the amount of the check?? You have to send a certified letter asking for the amount to be paid within 30 days, and then after 30 days the courts will award you the amount x 3 plus all associated fees. I can't believe I cashed those checks...each $275 check would turn into $825 that they would garnish out of her paycheck.

Comment

just be glad you got some money out of it so far. Bet she was shocked as anything that those 2 checks were cashed… I'm sure someone else's check is going to bounce now!!

Good for you for standing your ground. DO NOT let her back without getting the account paid up. Don't worry about the triple amount thing (not sure I understand how that works anyway) - just worry about getting what you are owed. My clients are required to pay $30 for every NSF payment - so she'd have to pay that as well as regular amounts due before I would let the kids come back.

Comment

Of course she called you now to discuss payment,funny how that worked out!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                                just be glad you got some money out of it so far. Bet she was shocked as anything that those 2 checks were cashed… I'm sure someone else's check is going to bounce now!!

Good for you for standing your ground. DO NOT let her back without getting the account paid up. Don't worry about the triple amount thing (not sure I understand how that works anyway) - just worry about getting what you are owed. My clients are required to pay $30 for every NSF payment - so she'd have to pay that as well as regular amounts due before I would let the kids come back.

And I know it's not funny, but I can't help but chuckle over the audacity of some people! " um I know I owe you but please don't cash my checks until I say so, but continue watching my kids, of course"

Comment

Working...
                                X