No announcement yet.

High Maintenance Baby - Floor Seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wear her because I have some mild back issues that if I push will have me out of commission for a week or two. She is almost 5 months old. She is happy on the changing table, go figure, in the swing outside or in the stroller outside. I can sometimes get a few minutes in the baby swing inside, I have a low to the floor one, but only if it's not swinging or vibrating and the music is off. She is mostly content if held, but that can be iffy as well. She does not like being on a play gym on the floor with the lights and music on or off. That was a new purchase for her as well. She does not like being on the floor just on a blanket. She does not like being in the pnp. She does not like the new seat.

She is swaddled for sleeping because she just won't sleep anywhere, anyhow, without it. I have been putting her in the pnp for sleeping, but even when she does sleep it's broken sleep with several episodes of not quite awake crying throughout the nap. I prefer to have infants in the main daycare area at all times just because it makes me a little nervous not to. But, yesterday I was desperate and moved her to another room. Ok by regs because she has been here for more than 6 weeks. She slept an hour and 15 minutes, but again it was intermittent with the crying.

When she first came to me she was in her parents arms literally all day, napping and all. They "swear" they are trying to put her down more and trying to put her in her crib for naps. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but I'm not seeing any great progress. The only peaceful time with her is when we are outside. Sooooooo stressful for everyone.

She is also a breasfed baby that was never given a pacifier. I have been trying to use one, with the parents permission, but she will use it for about 20 seconds to get herself to sleep, when held, then spit it out. She won't take it at all if you lay her down in the pnp.
    Last edited by SSWonders; 06-04-2014, 08:38 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Originally posted by SSWonders View Post
      I can't wear her because I have some mild back issues that if I push will have me out of commission for a week or two. She is almost 5 months old. She is happy on the changing table, go figure, in the swing outside or in the stroller outside. I can sometimes get a few minutes in the baby swing inside, I have a low to the floor one, but only if it's not swinging or vibrating and the music is off. She is mostly content if held, but that can be iffy as well. She does not like being on a play gym on the floor with the lights and music on or off. That was a new purchase for her as well. She does not like being on the floor just on a blanket. She does not like being in the pnp. She does not like the new seat.

She is swaddled for sleeping because she just won't sleep anywhere, anyhow, without it. I have been putting her in the pnp for sleeping, but even when she does sleep it's broken sleep with several episodes of not quite awake crying throughout the nap. I prefer to have infants in the main daycare area at all times just because it makes me a little nervous not to. But, yesterday I was desperate and moved her to another room. Ok by regs because she has been here for more than 6 weeks. She slept an hour and 15 minutes, but again it was intermittent with the crying.

When she first came to me she was in her parents arms literally all day, napping and all. They "swear" they are trying to put her down more and trying to put her in her crib for naps. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but I'm not seeing any great progress. The only peaceful time with her is when we are outside. Sooooooo stressful for everyone.
      Do you have a plan in place in case this doesn't get better?

How long are you willing to try? Are the parents aware of how troublesome this is for you each day?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Do you have a plan in place in case this doesn't get better?

How long are you willing to try? Are the parents aware of how troublesome this is for you each day?

The parents are aware. I believe in being honest with parents about how things are going. I don't want there to be any surprises. I know mom is a bit stressed out about baby not being happy but she is not in a position to stay home.

Unfortunately terming is not an option for us right now. I love the parents. They've been really good to me and it's only been 6+ weeks.

I would never deny an infant holding or cuddling throughout the day, I think they need that, but not ALL DAY long. The other kids here need attention as well and it's not good for any child to not be able to be by themselves at all. The only thing I can figure is that the baby is just going to have to deal with it and that's it. Napping in another room will at least cut down on some of the crying everyone has to hear at least for part of the day.

Lord help me when I have another infant, born last week, start at the end of August.

Comment

sounds like parents are still holding a lot and probably, mom is nursing baby to sleep. Usually that broken sleep a lot of times is because baby is addicted to motion or suckling.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            Here is an awesome article about babies and self-soothing.

At the end of the article, it shows a quick video of a 4 month old self-soothing.

I think way too many people misinterpret self-soothing for CIO or other methods of just "abandoning" a child.

http://www.janetlansbury.com/2011/10...self-soothing/
            Just today I was feeling at my wits end with an eleven month old who lately is crying constantly if I am not holding him or sitting next to him (his little hand on my leg) on the floor. If I get up after some good snuggle/play time/reading aloud time to go to the other side of the room, he cries and crawls over to me instantly; begging to be picked up. This has been going on for weeks now, and while I'm doing "the right things" by encouraging him that he's okay, "i'm right here.", etc. it has been wearing on me.
            I turned to this site for some encouragement and wisdom, and as usual, found it! Thank you (all) so much for taking time to post your thoughts, ideas, etc. It has really helped; especially today! :hug:
            I also found a new author(s) to read with your link here, and it looks wonderful! I bought her kindle version of this new book and plan to read this weekend. For the first time in a while, I feel hopeful about this particular situation! Also eager to read and learn more from the suggested authors Janet recommends. Even after raising my four children and "launching" them, I'm not too old to keep learning!
            Thanks again everyone.
            "Be careful what you teach. It might interfere with what they are learning."
            -Magda Gerber

Comment

What about an exersaucer/jumperoo? I had a little one who always wanted to be upright and she LOVED the exersaucer. I set it so it didn't spin or dip, and she was very stable so she didn't flop around.

Do you think she may have acid reflux and that's why she wants to be upright so much?

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
                What about an exersaucer/jumperoo? I had a little one who always wanted to be upright and she LOVED the exersaucer. I set it so it didn't spin or dip, and she was very stable so she didn't flop around.

Do you think she may have acid reflux and that's why she wants to be upright so much?
                I have an infant foster child whose birth-3 assessment was abysmal. Completely neglected the first 4 months of life. Also has acid reflux. He could not tolerate being held at first (because normal to him was NOT being held). He had the worst flat head I have ever seen (even after googling lots of pictures), and couldn't be on his back really, ever, when not sleeping, and his birth-3 evaluator suggested lots of tummy-time and when he was sick of that, the jumperoo or bumbo for keeping his head off flat surfaces. The child was SO happy to use the jumperoo (the bumbo didn't help,because he had a lot of abdominal pain, and sitting was painful for him, and still is).

These tools helped keep his head off flat surfaces and I believe helped him build a lot of head and leg strength. I wouldn't leave a kid alone in them for hours, but several sessions a day gave us a time to bond where he wasn't held (because he didn't want to be), and helped him get caught up physically within a few months. He only used the jumperoo for about 3 months, but I saw a big difference in him from using it.

Comment

Working...
                X