High Maintenance Baby - Floor Seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Maintenance Baby - Floor Seat?

I have a 4 month old infant that started with me a month ago. This is week 5. She literally cries ANY time she is not being held. No exaggeration. Today I was able to put her down for about 10 minutes, twice. Just barely long enough to get the other kids fed. She won't sleep unless she's being held either. Groan. I've tried to let her cio but that hasn't worked either.

At any rate, she is not happy in my floor model swing or a bouncy seat. Since she is always trying to sit up when held, doesn't like to lean back, I was wondering if one of the floor model seats that hold them upright would work.

I am looking at two and would like opinions if anyone has them or has used them? Or is there another brand you've used that works?

I'm desperate here! I just CAN'T hold her all day and the other kids need my attention as well.

This is the other one I am considering.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM. Reason: link not working

I had a bumbo for my son. If she arches her back a lot, she'll get out of position. Chunky thighs and big bottoms don't fit well!

Comment

I used the bumbo seat for my dd and ds. They liked the fact that they were able to see everything (or at least they acted like it). My dd had pretty bad reflux and cried a lot but it all stopped when she was on the right meds and able to sit up. Personally I wouldn't be able to deal with a baby crying all day due to parents constantly holding the baby. Its different if its medical reasons or just the child's personality but otherwise I wouldn't do it. I would speak to the parents and see what they are doing and how they can help the situation so the baby can be comfortable in your environment as well as home. I was sitting for a friends infant and they have a sassy seat for him. Hes about 4 months as well and seems to like it a lot. They said they purchased it at walmart. It is soft material though not the hard plastic like the two seats you posted pics of.

Comment

I like the bumbo, I don't like the 'prince lionheart' brand version (I know you didn't mention that one, but those are the two I have had experience with). The bumbo is softer, and 'gives' so it's easier to get their legs in.

Comment

I don't prop babies

Conventional wisdom might call it unwise to suggest negatives about a practice that probably 90% of parents do with their babies (n.b. – a very unscientific survey). Is it really worth the grief to get into it? After struggling with this for a while now, my passion for natural gross motor development won out.  So, … Continued

and I also don't think that your screamer is going to be happy in a floor seat. if she is, it won't last long.

If she wasn't happy with what I could provide and I couldnt get her to a more manageable place with lots of floor time and a routine, I would term. I would not buy more equipment to try and appease a demanding child. First of all, it never works and second of all, that is not going to solve the sleeping and other issues you are having.

Comment

My last infant development class I learned about that, but it went even more in depth and also didn't want tummy time, or putting them in ANY position they can't get to on their own EVER. I think it's very interesting, and while I agree it should be limited... I don't think there is 'one' correct way to do things. I did more of an attachment style with my first, which I know did affect her crawling later, but she also sat up, and walked very early. With my second I am following closer to the no propping rule (not 100%), and he rolls a lot more, will probably crawl sooner, and is pretty happy on the floor.
            Back to the OP, my daughter who was held and carried more did like the seats, because she could 'see' more of what's going on, and it was closer to what her perspective was when she was held, but yes work on getting her to the floor too. She will be able to sit up on her own soon, and it won't be an issue

Comment

I have the second one. My babies have always loved it because they could sit up and be entertained. Even the fussy ones.

Comment

Oh here we go again! Ever notice how difficult parents that hold their babies all day/night make it sooo difficult on us?! I swear there is a post every day about a provider having a rough go with a baby that is held all the time, rocked to sleep, can't self soothe, etc. Not being critical of your post at all, I just am fed up with parents that can't understand the concept of group care, and then we have a screamer all day!
                I agree with the suggestion to not get any other equipment. I have found that kids that are not held all day long, enjoy these types of seats and toys since it allows them to see what is going on a lot better (I think a previous poster may have already said that). In my experience, kids that are used to being held all the time will not go easily into one of these, and will likely scream even louder!

The only thing I have ever found to work with the type of child that needs to be held all the time is to slowly introduce them to not being held, by sitting in your lap, then moving them away from you day by day so they gain confidence, but still see and feel your presence. I find the more skills they develop, such as sitting up, crawling, etc. the more they want to go on their own. There's going to be a lot of screaming, I bet, :hug:

Comment

I have been trying desperately to introduce this baby to the not being held all day lifestyle but it is not going well. I try to let her cio as much as possible, but at some point it starts to stress out the other children. The parents tell me they are working on putting her in her crib for naps and putting her down more when she is awake. She's had one really good day in the last 5 weeks. Terming is not an option. Just keeping my fingers crossed that she gets over it sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
                    I don't prop babies

Conventional wisdom might call it unwise to suggest negatives about a practice that probably 90% of parents do with their babies (n.b. – a very unscientific survey). Is it really worth the grief to get into it? After struggling with this for a while now, my passion for natural gross motor development won out.  So, … Continued

and I also don't think that your screamer is going to be happy in a floor seat. if she is, it won't last long.

If she wasn't happy with what I could provide and I couldnt get her to a more manageable place with lots of floor time and a routine, I would term. I would not buy more equipment to try and appease a demanding child. First of all, it never works and second of all, that is not going to solve the sleeping and other issues you are having.
                    This. I realized that if I just let them be if they really truly want to be sitting up like that, then they'll learn how. They're going to learn how to eventually, but not propping them up gives them the incentive to do it themselves. Propping them up just ends up making it take longer, in my experience. Also, I noticed that babies that are happier sitting up in a seat like that end up getting placed in it often... because, duh, they're happier in it. This just makes the whole process of learning to do it on their own take longer.

I'm a huge advocate for just laying babies down in a safe place and letting them work their muscles. Parents are in such a hurry to help their babies roll over, sit up, crawl, walk, etc. that they don't allow their babies to simply do it on their own time. I'm almost done reading Your Self-Confident Baby by Magda Gerber and she wrote that children are much more proud and confident of their accomplishments (like rolling,sitting,crawling,walking) when they are allowed to do it on their own.

Comment

Is a sling or a wrap an option for you? At least when you have to get things done? Or maybe swaddling would help? I also don't prop I would always lay her on a floor on a blanket.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I would never expect a 4 month old to self-soothe. That just makes me really sad.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
                        This. I realized that if I just let them be if they really truly want to be sitting up like that, then they'll learn how. They're going to learn how to eventually, but not propping them up gives them the incentive to do it themselves. Propping them up just ends up making it take longer, in my experience. Also, I noticed that babies that are happier sitting up in a seat like that end up getting placed in it often... because, duh, they're happier in it. This just makes the whole process of learning to do it on their own take longer.

I'm a huge advocate for just laying babies down in a safe place and letting them work their muscles. Parents are in such a hurry to help their babies roll over, sit up, crawl, walk, etc. that they don't allow their babies to simply do it on their own time. I'm almost done reading Your Self-Confident Baby by Magda Gerber and she wrote that children are much more proud and confident of their accomplishments (like rolling,sitting,crawling,walking) when they are allowed to do it on their own.

Other than a PNP, I do NOT use any infant equipment.

Babies should do what THEY are capable of doing not what we "prop" them up to do...kwim?

I despise exersaucers, swings, bouncy chairs etc.... Gives babies the false sense of accomplishment. I just give them plenty of floor space and a safe environment to explore.

Comment

Originally posted by queen_of_the_playground View Post
                          Is a sling or a wrap an option for you? At least when you have to get things done? Or maybe swaddling would help? I also don't prop I would always lay her on a floor on a blanket.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I would never expect a 4 month old to self-soothe. That just makes me really sad.
                          Learning the awesome skill of self-soothing is NOT the same thing as crying it out.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
                            Learning the awesome skill of self-soothing is NOT the same thing as crying it out.

plus stepping back and allow a child to learn and explore, even through their frustration, is fantastic for kids. We are in the generation where parents do way too much which equals kids addicted to constant holding/bouncing/motion which then equals stressed out providers that have unhappy babies all day. It is not unloving or harsh to put a child on the floor. No one is saying to leave a child dirty, hungry, tired or unsupervised.

JUST BECAUSE A CHILD IS CRYING, DOES NOT MEAN A PARENT/PROVIDER SHOULD DO ANYTHING

and yes, I just screamed that

Learn to be attentive and responsive in ways that actually help a baby instead of just temporarily soothing them and then addicting them to behavior you can't do all the time (rocking, holding, etc, etc). This is what makes babies frustrated and then they cry more!

(that side, babywearing does work for some providers and kids! but it is okay to not provide that either. eventually a child will have to be okay with floor play. it is essential, especially in group care)

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post

plus stepping back and allow a child to learn and explore, even through their frustration, is fantastic for kids. We are in the generation where parents do way too much which equals kids addicted to constant holding/bouncing/motion which then equals stressed out providers that have unhappy babies all day. It is not unloving or harsh to put a child on the floor. No one is saying to leave a child dirty, hungry, tired or unsupervised.

JUST BECAUSE A CHILD IS CRYING, DOES NOT MEAN A PARENT/PROVIDER SHOULD DO ANYTHING

and yes, I just screamed that

Learn to be attentive and responsive in ways that actually help a baby instead of just temporarily soothing them and then addicting them to behavior you can't do all the time (rocking, holding, etc, etc). This is what makes babies frustrated and then they cry more!

(that side, babywearing does work for some providers and kids! but it is okay to not provide that either. eventually a child will have to be okay with floor play. it is essential, especially in group care)

Good gravy, yes, this!!!

Do you know how many times I've seen parents JUMP up and pop a bottle in their little one's mouth as soon as they make a peep? HUNDREDS OF TIMES!

How in the world they just know they need a bottle is beyond me... considering they didn't once stop and wait a second to see if maybe they're not really hungry.

ETA: I fully 100% believe that when a baby starts crying we should wait a minute or two and observe... just see if maybe they had a little cry they needed to work out. Let them figure things out on their own! We don't need to be all up in their business with every little peep. And for that matter, ALLOWING A BABY TO WORK OUT A GOOD CRY DOES NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT MEAN YOU'RE LETTING THEM CRY IT OUT OR THAT YOU ARE HARMING THEM FOR LIFE. Sorry, this is a topic very close to my heart. I think the idea that we should not allow children of any age to cry is ridiculous. And that's what I think is sad.
                              Last edited by craftymissbeth; 05-20-2014, 02:19 PM. Reason: to add

Comment

Working...
                              X