Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post

Good gravy, yes, this!!!

Do you know how many times I've seen parents JUMP up and pop a bottle in their little one's mouth as soon as they make a peep? HUNDREDS OF TIMES!

How in the world they just know they need a bottle is beyond me... considering they didn't once stop and wait a second to see if maybe they're not really hungry.
    exactly. children addicted to bottles, pacis, blankets, TV, motion, snacks. People are so scared that their child might cry. So worried that others will think they do cry-it-out that the alternative becomes running to soothe with things every time a child peeps. I don't do traditional cry it out where kids are just dumped in bed and left to scream unattended. I do work on a routine, everyone is fed/changed/tucked in by nap/bed time so that once they are tucked in, I know there is nothing they truly need besides to lay down and sleep. do some of them still cry in protest, yes. but no one is crying because they are uncared for.....I made sure of that. And I don't have issues with nappers here. I will have a half dozen kids 2 and under all napping on the same schedule and sometimes in the same room, it can be done! LOL kids under 1 year, sure they may need more accommodation but there is no reason to have a child screaming all day. If they don't get onto my routine, which is rare, parents are asked to leave. Not every kid is right for my program or daycare in general so that is fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
      I don't prop babies

Conventional wisdom might call it unwise to suggest negatives about a practice that probably 90% of parents do with their babies (n.b. – a very unscientific survey). Is it really worth the grief to get into it? After struggling with this for a while now, my passion for natural gross motor development won out.  So, … Continued

and I also don't think that your screamer is going to be happy in a floor seat. if she is, it won't last long.

If she wasn't happy with what I could provide and I couldnt get her to a more manageable place with lots of floor time and a routine, I would term. I would not buy more equipment to try and appease a demanding child. First of all, it never works and second of all, that is not going to solve the sleeping and other issues you are having.
      same here...mostly

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
        exactly. children addicted to bottles, pacis, blankets, TV, motion, snacks. People are so scared that their child might cry. So worried that others will think they do cry-it-out that the alternative becomes running to soothe with things every time a child peeps. I don't do traditional cry it out where kids are just dumped in bed and left to scream unattended. I do work on a routine, everyone is fed/changed/tucked in by nap/bed time so that once they are tucked in, I know there is nothing they truly need besides to lay down and sleep. do some of them still cry in protest, yes. but no one is crying because they are uncared for.....I made sure of that. And I don't have issues with nappers here. I will have a half dozen kids 2 and under all napping on the same schedule and sometimes in the same room, it can be done! LOL kids under 1 year, sure they may need more accommodation but there is no reason to have a child screaming all day. If they don't get onto my routine, which is rare, parents are asked to leave. Not every kid is right for my program or daycare in general so that is fine with me.
        My formerly "high maintenance" baby, 11 months, just learned to share a room with my 17 mo dcg. It really took me until he was about 7 months old to get him to sleep without at least a little fuss, and to stay asleep until nap time was over (and thus awaken happy and refreshed). I probably would have had it licked by 5 months, but mom and I haven't always been 100% on the same page there. Oh well...

What a cool thing it was to lay them both down together, happily trying to sing our nighty-night song, and go to sleep without a fuss. What an even cooler thing to walk in there at the end of nap time, to find them both wide awake, happy, and calling to each other across the room. It was so cute!

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
          Learning the awesome skill of self-soothing is NOT the same thing as crying it out.
          I understand that. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic because I think expecting a four month old to self-soothe is just misguided. It's all about the age.

Comment

All of my kids were like that (never had a dcb under 10 mos). I wore them in an ergo or mei tai. Eventually they gained I dependence and were happy exploring, once they could crawl. Is that an option for you? Both baby carriers can be used as a back carry, so you are hands free. Otherwise, I would term. My 2nd child went to a provider and was that way at 5 months. She cried all day long. The provider termed, and glad she let me know about it

Comment

Here is an awesome article about babies and self-soothing.

At the end of the article, it shows a quick video of a 4 month old self-soothing.

I think way too many people misinterpret self-soothing for CIO or other methods of just "abandoning" a child.

Infant self-soothing is often misrepresented by descriptive terms like tough love, crying it out, leaving babies to “deal with it” on their own, and even neglect. Apparently there are people who misunderstand the concept, or use it as an excuse to ignore a child. Perhaps it’s in reaction to those people, real or imagined, that … Continued

Comment

I haven't read all the responses but I know there will be 'no seats' ever mentioned a few times at least. It seems to be a new trend. I have used them and think they are pretty nice when they are not 'over' used.

I don't care for the Bumbo seat because it doesn't take long for them to reach for something and have it topple over (without the tray) When I purchased a tray I had trouble with getting it on and off but that is just me. I didn't try very hard and just found it a pain. Also, chunkier babies are hard to get in them.

I've never used the second one but that would be my choice.

Laurel

Comment

I had baby like that I term,I put her in bombo seat,jumper,bounce,swing I can't even talk play yard...She's never stay longer than 15 minutes.Nap 30 minutes...I tried everything she's just didn't stop.More I was holding her she was getting worse...cried like someone was spanking her.And when I pick her she's just smile and stop...I couldn't handle,when we go out she's doesn't wanna stay in stroller I have to pick her of I stop the stroller....

Comment

Updating just in case anyone is curious. I got the seat with the tray that wraps all around. It has not helped AT ALL! So, no more purchases for me to try to keep this one happy. It has been more than 6 weeks since she's been in care so out of desperation this morning I moved her pnp into my bedroom and out of the main daycare area. She's on the same floor level and the door is open. I'm hoping she is able to sleep a little better in there.
                    Last edited by SSWonders; 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM. Reason: adding

Comment

Originally posted by queen_of_the_playground View Post
                      Is a sling or a wrap an option for you? At least when you have to get things done? Or maybe swaddling would help? I also don't prop I would always lay her on a floor on a blanket.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I would never expect a 4 month old to self-soothe. That just makes me really sad.
                      I don't swaddle, but I would also wear this one for a large part of the day. However, I don't have a problem with putting them in something that allows them to try to grasp toys for a few minutes either. I have a "bug" that a lot of little ones have liked for short periods. (Kind of like that second option you show with toys attached and a place for other toys on the tray.)

They can still get gradually increasing floor time. They are only this little for a short period. If wearing helps everyone get through for a little while, why not give her that closeness as you work on the other things?

I know not everyone is willing to wear babies, just chiming in that you are not alone in doing so

Comment

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear that it didn't help
                        If terming is NOT an option, I agree that I'd try to wear her. Have you asked parents if it might be a medical issue?
                        Hopefully the sleeping arrangement will help - sometimes it is SO quiet at these kids' houses that I assume the noise of dc would be hard to get used to. 6 weeks is a long time :hug:

Comment

Originally posted by SSWonders View Post
                          Updating just in case anyone is curious. I got the seat with the tray that wraps all around. It has not helped AT ALL! So, no more purchases for me to try to keep this one happy. It has been more than 6 weeks since she's been in care so out of desperation this morning I moved her pnp into my bedroom and out of the main daycare area. She's on the same floor level and the door is open. I'm hoping she is able to sleep a little better in there.
                          So, she's now 5 1/2 months old, and you still can't get her to sleep in a bed on her own?

How much time of the day is she sleeping then?

When you said you tried CIO, how did you do it?

How did she do so far today?

If she's not sleeping, she's absolutely going to be more clingy and distressed. Once you get the sleep issues resolved, she will feel better, and I bet be much more able to cope with awake time.

Give me the scenario; I will help with some ideas, if you'd like.

Also: How does she sleep at home? In her bed, with parents, a swing?

Comment

Originally posted by SSWonders View Post
                            I would do CIO with an almost 6 month old. She sounds horribly sleep deprived at this point. If you are allowed to separate her per licensing, I would absolutely do that. She needs a sleep routine and straight out floor time....no carrying around. I would not baby wear just because that is a temporary bandaid and does not solve the nap issues. She will still be crying every time you arent wearing and pretty soon, will be too big to carry comfortably all the time. I will wear kids on walks and stuff, but not as a solution for an exhausted clingy baby.

I am sorry you had to waste the money on the floor seat. I didnt think it would work and that is why I dont think baby wearing will work with this one. She needs sleep! and floor time and that is going to involve a lot of crying at first.

Comment

Bummer... maybe you can try and take it to a local consignment shop, local B/S/T on Facebook or Once Upon A Child?

I've been so lucky with the babies I've had! <knock on wood> I am worried of getting a younger baby and they turn my life into a living he!! every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X