New and Could Use Some Advise on a Couple of Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CraftyMom View Post
    I'm also confused about the baths. My children have eczema and we do as few baths as possible with as little soap as possible.

Considering that his parents slack off with so much with you, I'm guessing they are not properly taking care of this child at home.

My guess Is:

Too many baths making eczema worse than it needs to be

Parents not taking care/applying cream to skin at home

Parents feeding him foods he is allergic to causing worse diarrhea and/or asthma attacks (may not know he is allergic)

Asthma attacks may also be due to an allergy (pets? dust mites? mold? food?)

I feel like a lot of these things may be lessened if the parents were taking better care of his conditions. Just given the general disregard for his health by not providing the necessary items at your house, one can only assume they do the same at home

I may be wrong, just how it's sounding to me
    I agree, it was the first thing that popped to my head too. My dd has asthma, I couldn't imagine leaving her somewhere without her inhaler.

Comment

Update!

First i will answer about the baths. They started asking me to give him baths in March...(2 months into taking care of him). They said it greatly helped his skin and to try and give at LEAST two a day. My gut, (again...i learn the hard way), thought this was strange bc of ALL the law suits out there. Too many "what ifs" in other words. And who goes down...the babysitter of course. I didn't find this site and posted a question on a non related site where everyone made me feel like a horrible person if i DID NOT give him the requested baths. So i did two a day and continued keeping him moist with his creme.
      Then the rest of the drama started occurring....bms on the floor...then diarrhea explosions constantly. I always update both parents and they blame it on his meds. He is always on something bc of his skin. It's bad...so bad in fact that my husband, (he is a nurse) told me that it doesn't look like eczema anymore...He has open wounds ALL over his poor body and sheds skin. I don't want to even think about it right now bc it makes me sad...angry...(i have no idea what goes on at their home bc he barely speaks). I WAS working on that but now again all i do is clean him up.
      So. ...i hope i answered some questions about the baths.
      Going back to this past Friday...aka D DAY!
      It was going on 7 pm and as always i had to text the parents and ask them where they would be over to pay me. The father showed up at 7:30 and handed me the cash. I had my letter along with another form i found online that i used as an example for them to sign. Without getting too lengthy i stated the needs...****les, (he needs to be diarrhea FREE otherwise i will expect him to stay home that day or if he has any accidents then i will expect him to be picked up. I wrote about the puffer, diapers, creme, ETC....EVERYTHING including the pick up time along with a SET payment TIME every two weeks. (In regards to being late it's a dollar per minute to be paid BEFORE i babysit him again). I remained firm and professional in what i wrote and emailed it to my mom to proofread bc she works in HR. And is good with stuff like this. I handed it to him in an envelope and asked him if he wanted to discuss my new "contract" . He said "no...kinda in a hurry but i will call if i have any questions".
      He hasn't called...nor responded to any test texts i wrote today, (just one) to check on the little guy.
      I'm guessing I'm out of a job but honestly am relieved. I AM however prepared just in case the sister comes over tomorrow morning with him. Before she leaves i made it clear that the papers need to be signed...and all the items i discussed must be in the bag. I also GULP changed my pay rate. I know they can't afford this or am just guessing bc they had their power shut off one day and actually ASKED if he could stay the night. I felt sick about it but said. NO....somehow? They paid the bill and had the power back on that same night. I'm asking for 200 per week. I called other home daycare places in my area and acted like a potential client. Wow......i was...totally getting ripped off. MY FAULT...i should have done my homework in advance but everything happened so suddenly. They never asked me now that ii think about it how much they should pay....THEY decided the rate. It wasn't so bad in the beginning but again...with all the new issues and summer coming up...(i could already forsee the daughter showing up at least a half hour late every day)....made me cringe.

I won't know for sure until tomorrow...the parents leave at 8 am and he gets dropped off at 5 after. I will keep you posted. I'm trying to stay positive but i just don't see how he can all of a sudden be diarrhea free over the weekend. I also stated that with the new contract i need to be paid weekly. Not bi weekly. (It was weekly for a month then they said they couldn't afford too do that anymore). I was expecting that money and couldn't believe they did that to me on the day i was expecting to be paid. I should have seen there red flags then but thought...hey. ..we all have difficult times here and then so i let it go... Im trying to cover all my bases. If he somehow hasall the supplies tomorrow, signed papers AND is diarrhea free....i could see them skipping out on pay in two weeks. I will At least have a signed form stating the above.
      What do you all think?

Comment

Sorry about all the typos again! Errr...auto correct on phone!

Comment

you need to be paid in advance or they will leave owing you two weeks pay
          It:: will wait

Comment

You should have it paid in advance. Then they can't skip out on paying you!

Comment

Looks like I'm no longer taking care of him.
              The low down...
              Sister tried to drop off....note was not in the bag, (signed) nor were his puffer, creme and diapers. In other words they didn't take me seriously.
              I told the sister i was sorry for getting her in the middle but she needed to go back home while I called her parents. She was in total shock.
              It took 3 times for the dad to answer, (the mother didn't)....and 10 minutes after tryin. .( I'm v sure the daughter called him as a warning).
              He finally answered i was very short and to the point and asked if he didn't understand my contract. To make a long story short i got a million excuses basically having him beg me to watch him.
              I told him a firm NO each time.
              He hung up on me!
              I did my research in advance to cover myself and a 13 year old is allowed to babysit. So either she will have to watch him or one of the parents will.
              DONE. I know they are super angry and will short me out of pay...and I'm disgusted at their negligence.
              I'm going to call thought to let them know I'm finished as short and sweet so to speak as possible.
              So....i guess i stara. Advertising all over the place.... any suggestions besides FB and CL?
              How dare them....i shouldn't be in shock....feel bad for the little guy but enough is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mythrreemiracles View Post
                The low down...
                Sister tried to drop off....note was not in the bag, (signed) nor were his puffer, creme and diapers. In other words they didn't take me seriously.
                I told the sister i was sorry for getting her in the middle but she needed to go back home while I called her parents. She was in total shock.
                It took 3 times for the dad to answer, (the mother didn't)....and 10 minutes after tryin. .( I'm v sure the daughter called him as a warning).
                He finally answered i was very short and to the point and asked if he didn't understand my contract. To make a long story short i got a million excuses basically having him beg me to watch him.
                He hung up on me!
                I did my research in advance to cover myself and a 13 year old is allowed to babysit. So either she will have to watch him or one of the parents will.
                DONE. I know they are super angry and will short me out of pay...and I'm disgusted at their negligence.
                I'm going to call thought to let them know I'm finished as short and sweet so to speak as possible.
                So....i guess i stara. Advertising all over the place.... any suggestions besides FB and CL?
                How dare them....i shouldn't be in shock....feel bad for the little guy but enough is enough.
                happyface
                Good for you! You will find a good replacement who respects you (and their own child).

Some parents are so nervy and self centered

Comment

care.com is another good place to advertise.

Comment

The low down...
                    He hung up on me!
                    Don't forget to send your final invoice that includes reimbursement for the products you purchased for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                      Don't forget to send your final invoice that includes reimbursement for the products you purchased for him.
                      Absolutely this with a deadline or you will be taking them to court.

Facebook mom groups have always been the best advertising source for me in addition to uploading pics on my business fb page and tagging parents in them. They signed waivers.

Comment

The low down...
                        He hung up on me!
                        You have cut off neglectful con artists who some call parents. I don’t know who usually drops off. However, if they usually drop off and the daughter showed up then they were trying to get over on you once again.

You were on your toes, kudos to you!

Comment

They definitely didn't take you seriously. I guess they just expected you to continue to be taken advantage of and to continue to give care over and above what most providers will do.

I re-read your original post and you are well rid of these people! If they try to come back, even with the money and supplies, I would still term.

Comment

Thank you SOOOOOO much everyone! And thank you for the advice on the last invoice. I kept receipts but am in doubt in ever seeing that money and am still owed for a week...(which is because of the way they decided to change from weekly to bi weekly) . I know better than to expect that....angers me But i never had an ORIGINAL contact...(live and learn). I don't think i have a leg to stand on do i if i were to TRY and threaten them? (My sister in law is an Attorney and knows about everything that has been going on). Wonder if just a letter from her office could help me get reimbursed?
                            SINCE they live literally 3 doors down from me. (The whole street knows i babysit him)...i can't help but wonder what stories if any were to be told about me. I would normally care less but my kids play with a few of the neighbors and I'm the type to believe nothing i hear and half of what i see. I just hope others feel the same. I don't want my kids suffering bc of this.

I know they are beyond angry bc i called the mother to tell her that i would no longer be able to take care of him anymore. She let out a huge sigh and started yelling at her husband basically blaming HIM for the termination. I was about to speak to tell her that it would be best for me to hang up but she hung up on me instead.
                            Thank you again everyone for your support....wise wisdom and a lending ear with thoughtful advice! I am going to lurk around to see what some of the forms on the site look like and get my ducks in a row. As bad as it sounds its as if a huge weight was just lifted off my shoulders. You ALL are fantastic!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X