Using The Ferber Method For Sleep Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol- it was just a suggestion...
    I swaddle, I'm allowed to... It works for the babies I care for. Parents are aware.
    And on a side note: I actually was taught how to swaddle a baby like they do in the hospital by a pediatrician . Those peeps can swaddle!!

But anyway- if you don't feel comfortable or aren't allowed to then don't :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Christie71 View Post
      Lol- it was just a suggestion...
      I swaddle, I'm allowed to... It works for the babies I care for. Parents are aware.
      And on a side note: I actually was taught how to swaddle a baby like they do in the hospital by a pediatrician . Those peeps can swaddle!!

But anyway- if you don't feel comfortable or aren't allowed to then don't :confused:
      Lol if I had taken a video of my husband attempting to swaddle our daughter and the resulting breakout... And posted it to YouTube... I'd be a millionaire haha

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
        Lol if I had taken a video of my husband attempting to swaddle our daughter and the resulting breakout... And posted it to YouTube... I'd be a millionaire haha
        I bet!!! Lol :: maybe a video just for me?? Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I'm in ca, were not allowed to swaddle
          I am in Ca. as well and have never heard of this. Can you please post a link to this regulation?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I'm in ca, were not allowed to swaddle
            I'm in CA also and was wondering about this also. I just had an unannounced inspection and I have an infant that sleeps better when swaddled and he was here during the inspection. My analist watched me swaddle him and put him in the P&P and didn't mention anything ... But then again all analists vary in opinion when they interpret the regulations and this changes county to county but where I am we have never heard of this ????

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
              Warm hands ....cool room :-)

breathe cool... feel warm

Now THATS what babies dig
              I'm sure some babies would interpret that as very womb like... But my two and several dck I know..would scream bloody murder in that type of contraption...

SOME babies are very hot natured.

My daughter was so hot natured even as newborn we'd have to open the outside vents in her room in the middle of the winter, close her heating duct vents from the rest of the house, and we would have to use the heat to keep from being cold.... And she'd almost still be too hot. And that was her NOT swaddled.

And me and husband are two of the most hot natured people I know.

So unless the house was 40 degrees, that would have never floated with some kids I know.

But of course, neither would swaddling. Some babies just don't like it at all!

Every baby is different.

And personally, if a particular baby prefers swaddling, it's generally because their arms etc are kept immobile and secure, thus eliminating their startle, and making them feel more "held". It doesn't have everything to do with being warm or cold but somewhat confined. A sleep sack with hands doesn't really do anything more than keep them warm.

Comment

I'm sure some babies would interpret that as very womb like... But my two and several dck I know..would scream bloody murder in that type of contraption...

My daughter was so hot natured even as newborn we'd have to open the outside vents in her room in the middle of the winter, close her heating duct vents from the rest of the house, and we would have to use the heat to keep from being cold.... And she'd almost still be too hot. And that was her NOT swaddled.

So unless the house was 40 degrees, that would have never floated with some kids I know.

Every baby is different.

And personally, if a particular baby prefers swaddling, it's generally because their arms etc are kept immobile and secure, thus eliminating their startle, and making them feel more "held". It doesn't have everything to do with being warm or cold but somewhat confined. A sleep sack with hands doesn't really do anything more than keep them warm.
                can you show me some swaddle gear that is not blankets or a contraption? I've only seen two irl and that was after our state said we are to have nothing in the bed with them.
                http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

can you show me some swaddle gear that is not blankets or a contraption? I've only seen two irl and that was after our state said we are to have nothing in the bed with them.
                  I feel like c2c is saying one has to do with warmth and one has to do with movement restriction...
                  I agree- like comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Familycare71 View Post
                    I feel like c2c is saying one has to do with warmth and one has to do with movement restriction...
                    I agree- like comparing apples and oranges.
                    I don't think it is apples to oranges but I may be missing something since I've only seen two swaddling devices and they were both blankets and contraptions. I'm trying to imagine what she is talking about.

Comment

Every baby is different.

We can't operate at 40 degrees so that wouldn't work. I also didn't mention hot. I said warm.

I haven't had any issues in 20 years of babies needing their startle reaction managed. They all sleep thru it. I would be ok if they woke upthough. They go to bed wide aawake so putting themselves back to sleep from wide awake is their normal life.

I don't get the swaddling thing. I never have. I like them laying flat out in the horizontal Christ The Redeamer position. I can get a good view of their chest rising and falling when I do my nap rounds. I can see if their shoulders are moving with breaths. I like the full view for quick checks.

Comment

Absolutely nothing can be in the crib with baby in MN. That includes swaddling blankets and yes it's in the regs. You can be fined or worse for swaddling an infant.

I do the same as Nan. Sleep sacks offer warmth but are attached to the child just like an article of clothing so they pose no risk. Even if swaddling were allowed I wouldn't utilize it, the chance for error, especially when every child is different, just wouldn't be worth it to me.

I refuse to take infants who have become accustomed to swaddling because it's something I'm not allowed to offer here and consistency is so important in care. I too have never had a problem with the startle reflex keeping anybody up and parents report their lids are much better sleepers compared to other babies they know, they believe, because their child doesn't need any bells, whistles or tricks to slumber peacefully.

Comment

I'm sure some babies would interpret that as very womb like... But my two and several dck I know..would scream bloody murder in that type of contraption....

Curious why you call a sleep sack and mits a "contraption?"

Do you understand what they are?

Comment

Nan- I've never understood the swaddling thing either. It doesn't really matter because we're not allowed to swaddle here in Michigan. No blankets, swaddling or otherwise, are to be in the crib/playpen with an infant under 1 year of age.

I put kids to bed wide awake. In all my years of child care, I've never had sleep issues with any of my kids. All of them take great naps and if they wake up in the middle of their rest, they soothe themselves back to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
                              Absolutely nothing can be in the crib with baby in MN. That includes swaddling blankets and yes it's in the regs. You can be fined or worse for swaddling an infant.

I do the same as Nan. Sleep sacks offer warmth but are attached to the child just like an article of clothing so they pose no risk. Even if swaddling were allowed I wouldn't utilize it, the chance for error, especially when every child is different, just wouldn't be worth it to me.

I refuse to take infants who have become accustomed to swaddling because it's something I'm not allowed to offer here and consistency is so important in care. I too have never had a problem with the startle reflex keeping anybody up and parents report their lids are much better sleepers compared to other babies they know, they believe, because their child doesn't need any bells, whistles or tricks to slumber peacefully.
                              iowas says "Have no soft bedding, pillows, blankets, bumper pads, and stuffed animals in the crib"

Comment

We can't operate at 40 degrees so that wouldn't work. I also didn't mention hot. I said warm.

I haven't had any issues in 20 years of babies needing their startle reaction managed. They all sleep thru it. I would be ok if they woke upthough. They go to bed wide aawake so putting themselves back to sleep from wide awake is their normal life.

I don't get the swaddling thing. I never have. I like them laying flat out in the horizontal Christ The Redeamer position. I can get a good view of their chest rising and falling when I do my nap rounds. I can see if their shoulders are moving with breaths. I like the full view for quick checks.
                                Love the image that created.

Comment

Working...
                                X