Using The Ferber Method For Sleep Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa:372889
    I don't do CIO on infants or any child under 1yo. CIO has been linked to cause a whole bunch of issues both emotional and physical later in life if an infant is left to CIO for extended periods of time. Infants are forming their secure attachments during this time of their lives and if they are left to CIO they may just lose hope that their needs will be met and never make those connections.

It's common misconception that Ferber means CIO. Ferberizing actually is laying the infant down while the infant is awake and then soothing the infant then walking away then prolonging the time that you are away. At first its just a minute or two and then you can add an extra minute etc. If the infant cries you wait a bit before returning and sooth again without picking the infant up. I wouldn't leave an infant to cry with or without me in the room for longer than 15 minutes. Crying for infants means stress and/or distress and ignoring an infant's crying can make it worse.

The time that you leave the infant to cry can also depend on the infant itself. Some children are needier than others and need more reassurance. Also some just have different sleeping needs. No child is the same.
    This!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
      Swaddling and just placing a blanket in the crib are not the same thing, are they?

My daughter is in intensive care and she's always swaddled. She's not sick and not moving around either...shes as active as any other newborn. They told me to get a swaddling blanket for her when she comes home....

:confused::confused:
      Lol- ill just let unregistered pass... . Swaddling is supported by Dr's... And it does help infants feel safe and secure. I am carefule to not allow the baby to overheat tho

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
        Unregistered, where are you getting your information?? Research indicates that swaddling actually reduces the chance of SIDS, as long as the baby is placed flat on their back as they should be anyway.

Here is the info::

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2768591/

Comment

no swaddling here

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Swaddling in a receiving blanket is considered dangerous, and NOT recommended. Children under 12 months should NEVER have a blanket in their crib. NOTHING but a sheet.

I would recommend stopping this practice immediately to protect yourself. I have a new DCM who recently lost her child AFTER the supposed "6-month window" for SIDS had passed. Her provider was told no blankets allowed, provider used blanket anyway, child suffocated because of blanket. You do NOT want this happening at your home, I am sure. People always think it's safe until it happens to them.
          I'm in ca, were not allowed to swaddle

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I'm in ca, were not allowed to swaddle
            Being not allowed to swaddle is one thing (although ve never heard of that rule before) but saying that its dangerous and increases the risk of SIDS is just the kind of misinformation that upsets new mothers.

Comment

Being not allowed to swaddle is one thing (although ve never heard of that rule before) but saying that its dangerous and increases the risk of SIDS is just the kind of misinformation that upsets new mothers.
              . I agree!!

Comment

We are not allowed to have blankets in the bed in Iowa. Swaddling with a blanket would get you in serious trouble here.

I don't swaddle and the babies sleep GREAT. I use sleep sacks with mitted hands.

You CAN care for babies and have excellent sleeping without swaddling.
                http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                  We are not allowed to have blankets in the bed in Iowa. Swaddling with a blanket would get you in serious trouble here.

I don't swaddle and the babies sleep GREAT. I use sleep sacks with mitted hands.

A blanket "in" the crib also isn't the same as swaddling. You can even swaddle with one of those swaddle things that isn't even a blanket at all. So since it isn't a blanket, technically, maybe that would work.

And sorry, but sleep sacks with kitted hands is pretty much even more a "blanket" than a swaddling cloth.

And I don't thi anyone ever said you couldn't care for a baby without swaddling?? Unless maybe I missed a post somewhere??

Comment

The problem with swaddling is that it's so easy to do it incorrectly. By the time babies are old enough for childcare they are also at the age where they begin turning over, which has the potential to be disastrous if they are swaddled.

Swaddling incorrectly has also been shown to lead to hip dysplasia. http://aapnews.aappublications.org/c...a-ac525b694b4d

Practicing it with your own children is not the same as doing it in childcare. I'd much rather be safe than sorry when it comes to other people's children.

Comment

A blanket "in" the crib also isn't the same as swaddling. You can even swaddle with one of those swaddle things that isn't even a blanket at all. So since it isn't a blanket, technically, maybe that would work.

And sorry, but sleep sacks with kitted hands is pretty much even more a "blanket" than a swaddling cloth.

And I don't thi anyone ever said you couldn't care for a baby without swaddling?? Unless maybe I missed a post somewhere??
                      How is mitted hands a blanket mote than a swaddling blanketed? The mitted hands move with the childs hands. I've never had mitted hands become loose. I've never had a back sleeping baby be able to lay their head against the material over the hands.

Having a sleep sack that fits the baby body with mitted hands isn't any different than having a baby in clothes sleeping.

Comment

I'm saying swaddling is completely unnecessary imho.

Comment

How is mitted hands a blanket mote than a swaddling blanketed? The mitted hands move with the childs hands. I've never had mitted hands become loose. I've never had a back sleeping baby be able to lay their head against the material over the hands.

Having a sleep sack that fits the baby body with mitted hands isn't any different than having a baby in clothes sleeping.
                          If its no different then why do it?? Just curious??

Comment

I'm saying swaddling is completely unnecessary imho.
                            Some babies like to be swaddled. Some don't. If it helps them and you do it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem??

If the sleep sack idea is supposed to be better than swaddling, but yet it's no different than clothes, how does it help? Also, just curious??

Comment

Some babies like to be swaddled. Some don't. If it helps them and you do it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem??

If the sleep sack idea is supposed to be better than swaddling, but yet it's no different than clothes, how does it help? Also, just curious??
                              Warm hands ....cool room :-)

breathe cool... feel warm

Now THATS what babies dig

Comment

If its no different then why do it?? Just curious??
                                Safety wise having a sleep sack on their body isn't any different than having clothes on.

Comment

Working...
                                X