Is A Non-Working Parent A Red Flag??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is A Non-Working Parent A Red Flag??

I need to fill a few spots and got a call for a young toddler. Mom does not work, they just want "socialization" for the child. I am a little leary, mostly because I feel like they will just skip out if they decide they can't afford it anymore. But then I was thinking of the positives - they want a shorter day (I work on contracted hours) and my 4:30 closing time will not be an issue (many calls I'm getting want 5:30-6pm pick ups). They can be flexible on which days so if I get another part timer who needs their day I can change things around so they still "share" the spot, etc.

anyone have experience - good or bad - that they can share on taking a child for a SAHM. I know lots of kids of SAHP's go to preschool but I do not run a full preschool - my daycare is generally up till kids leave for preschool. Should I be concerned that they want "socialization" for a 1 1/2 year old???

I have 3 now and have had many in the past..... I can't say that I had any major issues...

Comment

I find that it's becoming more common, I have two currently that are SAHM's and one is an awesome client and is very flexible (just swapped days for me for enrolling a very pt client) and the other is so-so (will never swap, picks up late 1x/month at least, complains about money, etc) I think it's very individual just like any other client.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
        I find that it's becoming more common, I have two currently that are SAHM's and one is an awesome client and is very flexible (just swapped days for me for enrolling a very pt client) and the other is so-so (will never swap, picks up late 1x/month at least, complains about money, etc) I think it's very individual just like any other client.
        Ditto!

I have one now that is absolutely the best!! I haven't had a bad one but I can see how it can go bad....just like any other family!

Comment

I'm sure this will become the new norm. Parents spending less time with their kids. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
            I need to fill a few spots and got a call for a young toddler. Mom does not work, they just want "socialization" for the child. I am a little leary, mostly because I feel like they will just skip out if they decide they can't afford it anymore. But then I was thinking of the positives - they want a shorter day (I work on contracted hours) and my 4:30 closing time will not be an issue (many calls I'm getting want 5:30-6pm pick ups). They can be flexible on which days so if I get another part timer who needs their day I can change things around so they still "share" the spot, etc.

anyone have experience - good or bad - that they can share on taking a child for a SAHM. I know lots of kids of SAHP's go to preschool but I do not run a full preschool - my daycare is generally up till kids leave for preschool. Should I be concerned that they want "socialization" for a 1 1/2 year old???
            The only one I ever had was a pain in the butt. Not that I wouldn't consider it again but I regretted taking them on. At first it was going to be shorter days but then she was wanting to pick up later and later and sometimes would pick up in the middle of the day for trips across the bridge (middle of the day was disruptive). This family was VERY well off. They went on vacation in the Caribbean for a MONTH, yes a MONTH. They knew there were no deductions in the cost of child care while gone. I (having just started my business) didn't think to get the payment up front and after 2.5 weeks of non payment and me trying to get a hold of them, she had the nerve to get a MAJOR attitude with me and pulled the girl out of my care. Just like that. Then it took her 6+ weeks and a letter from me threatening small claims court and all the late fees for her to pay me the money she owed. It took me longer than I had hoped to fill that spot and it was a big hassle.

This, however, isn't something I would expect just because she was a SAHM. Maybe just that she was a wealthy and greedy SAHM.. ::

Comment

My friend posted a flier in the next town over about as far away a possible from me I get a call from a sahm. I thought she was a no go between location and her not working. she was with me two yrs n the sweetest kid. Mom dropped to do errands, get her nails done, clean etc.She got her free time n the child had play time with friends. Worked well.

Comment

I would suggest to mom to take her child to the library, play dates and other child friendly activities for "socialization".

Kelly
                Homeschooling Mama to:
                lovethis
                dd12
                ds 10
                dd 8

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                  I don't think you should be overly concerned. I've had a few kids whose moms were SAHM and it worked out well. I'd interview with her the same way I would interview with anyone else looking for care. If she and her child are a good fit for you and your day care, I wouldn't hesitate to accept her child into care.

Comment

Depends on the parent. But if a SAHM is looking for a little "me" time, I don't see that as a red flag. Before I went back to work, I used the hourly drop in care at our local center (which I now work at!) for about 10 hours a week.

Let me put it into a different perspective. People don't always have family around or family that are willing to watch their children a few hours a week. I don't... I'm stationed in Germany. So as a SAHM, the first time anyone watched my children was when they were 2 years, 3 months old. II would love to have grandma watch my boys for a few hours to have a date night with DH or go to a Dr. appt, but that wasn't possible. So some moms need professional care to get a break every once in a while.

And I can say that my sons learned some good social skills by being away from me for a few hours

However, I would be a bit leary of a SAHM who needs full-time hours "me" time

Comment

I just don't know anymore. Why have kids if you need so much "me" time. why can't people get their nails done on the weekends or later in the evening when their spouses are home. I can see dr's appointment or something really important that you need to pay attention too, but for self indulgence I don't think kids need to go to daycare for socialization. there are so many programs out there for children to develope socialization that daycare isn't neccessary.

I raised 4 kids (they are now 8-15) I would take 4 kids grocery shopping, to restaurants, clothes shopping all by myself (my parents don't want to watch them and in laws live in another city thank goodness) why is it I can do this but a mom who has one child can't even go grocery shopping anymore, I even had a mother bring her child to me so she can put her christmas tree up by herself.

sorry its off topic, but it just burns me that this is becoming the norm. Oh, my sister is like this too, we didn't grow up like this. the problem is that my mom will watch her kid and doesn't know how to say no, even thou she doesn't want too, my sister now just dumps her kid and leaves. just like when her child was 6 months old my sister needed to go on vacation to vegas so she can have alone time--whatever.

Comment

I'm sure it can go either way. I ONLY take full time kids from working families because this is the most stable income IMO. I have a friend who takes a lot of part timers with some SAHM's because that is what she prefers but I can tell you she has a LOT more turnover. As soon as money gets tight "daycare for socialization" is the first thing that gets yanked.

But I would use my gut...if it seems like a great family and it fits both of your needs then I would go for it.

Comment

One of my current kiddos has a working single mom, but grandma was taking care of baby. Grandma hired me so that she could have some down time.

I'm thinking at 1 1/2, your potential kiddo is just mobile enough to make it difficult to multi-task at home. KWIM? At that age, in a home, they tend to test the limits a lot and get into stuff. So, running to the laundry room and such can be a challenge, even with just one kiddo.

Of course, we all manage our housework, shopping, and everything with several kids and full-time daycares, but I think sometimes one bored kiddo can be more work than 6 with "friends" that keep them engaged.

All my families give me a 2-week deposit AND pay up front at the beginning of the week. If you're worried, just tell them that's your policy. If they like you enough, they'll do it. I'd also do set hours, like M-W-F mornings. You can always make a change if you need to from time to time, but it will be much easier on kiddo if it's somewhat consistent. Also, with mornings, you don't have to deal with nap issues.

Comment

I've worked for a few families that the mom didn't work.

Family 1: DCG started part time. Mom worked full time but it was Thursday-Monday so DCG only came Monday, Thursdays and Fridays.

DCM lost her job and DCG continued coming 3 days per week for about 6 hours per day rather than the 8.75 she previously attended. It worked out really well for several months until DCM found a 9-6pm job that I couldn't accommodate.

Family 2: DCM worked weekends as a nurse and had DCB in care from 9am-4pm Monday-Thursday. I cared for him for 13 months until the family moved away. I had 2 payment issues (due on Friday, paid on Monday or Tuesday the next week including all late fees associated.)

Comment

I absolutely would not be afraid to take this family - if the interview went well... I had a part time SAHM who brought their child to get socialization, but then felt so good about where her child was at during the day she didn't hesitate to take on a full time job that she LOVES. Her child now comes full time and I've gotten more referrals from her than I can count, because she was plugged into so many SAHM groups, churches, community service activities, etc. Most all of my drop in clients have been referrals from her. It was one of the smartest business decisions I could have made, due to the great word of mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X