Wearing Shoes Outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    WOW! That is being a little strong!!!!!!

Not saying that a child won't experience those things, but as far as how I operate my daycare, I will do anything to keep the kids from getting hurt or any injury while here.
    If it means they wear shoes outside, then that is what they will do and I know for a fact that all my parents really have appreciated how much I look out for their child and they will tell me so. NO way would I leave it up to the child to tell me if they want to wear their shoes outdoors or not.if they want to go outside, then they have to wear their shoes, no butts about it or they won't be able to go outside. I AM the boss not the children and that is what is wrong with this world of parenting today!
    Too many parents let their child be the boss, they want to be " their friend " and not the parent! Sorry, don't mean to change the subject and rant.

Anyway, kids will get bee stings and stubbed toes, but not while in my care.
    Really you can prevent bee stings?? and stubbed toes??
    Letting a kid go barefoot outside is NOT letting them be the boss, my kids all know its allowed at certain times (not today because its was very wet and muddy, so they needed their rain boots)
    My own daughter is allowed to pick her own clothes out, does that make her the boss of the house, no it makes her Independent and able to make some choices for herself. You can not guarantee a kid never gets hurt. But I'd really like to know how you control the bees.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewels View Post
      Letting a kid go barefoot outside is NOT letting them be the boss, my kids all know its allowed at certain times (not today because its was very wet and muddy, so they needed their rain boots)
      My own daughter is allowed to pick her own clothes out, does that make her the boss of the house, no it makes her Independent and able to make some choices for herself. You can not guarantee a kid never gets hurt. But I'd really like to know how you control the bees.
      REALLY! All I was trying to say is that I make my daycare kids wear shoes outside for safety reasons. They know that THEY will not be able to play outside unless they have shoes on. The parents know that too! I am just trying to be a responsible, caring daycare provider and this is just one of the things that I believe in doing. Everyone else can do as they please with their daycare,not my concern or business!

Comment

No, you can't guarantee that that a kid never gets hurt and you certainly can't control bees but what I CAN control is the probability of any of that happening while on MY watch.

I can eliminate the possibility of a cut foot or a stubbed toe by requiring all kids to wear proper shoes while outside.

I do NOT want to assume any more liability that I already do and in this world protecting yourself from unnecessary and frivolous lawsuits sometimes means having rules that are more for MY personal and financial safety than it is for the child's physical safety.

You may have been lucky enough to not ever have been sued by a parent before but IF you should ever encounter that, you'd be glad you went above and beyond to protect the child.

Prevention is worth more to me than finding a solution.

As any provider in this business knows ANY "golden" or "perfect" parent can change their colors in a nano second when they feel they have been wronged or have the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          No, you can't guarantee that that a kid never gets hurt and you certainly can't control bees but what I CAN control is the probability of any of that happening while on MY watch.

I can eliminate the possibility of a cut foot or a stubbed toe by requiring all kids to wear proper shoes while outside.

I do NOT want to assume any more liability that I already do and in this world protecting yourself from unnecessary and frivolous lawsuits sometimes means having rules that are more for MY personal and financial safety than it is for the child's physical safety.

You may have been lucky enough to not ever have been sued by a parent before but IF you should ever encounter that, you'd be glad you went above and beyond to protect the child.

As any provider in this business knows ANY "golden" or "perfect" parent can change their colors in a nano second when they feel they have been wronged or have the opportunity.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!! I'm the unregistered one who wrote about being sued and not letting the kids outside with no shoes.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. I'm so glad that someone else feels the same way I do and wants to protect the kids and themselves. Yes, parents can turn on you in a nano second if they want to and that has happened, not to me but to another daycare provider I know. Why take any chances with the kiddo's and the parents. It seems like a simple rule to have.Thank you again for your support.

Comment

I'm not arguing you here blackcat, the unregistered user came across harsh in her first statement saying pretty much that those of us that allow no shoes, are using bad judgment and be irresponsible, I'm not arguing that everyone should let kids go barefoot, but I am not irresponsible for doing so myself.
            And she herself wrote "kids will get bee stings and stubbed toes, but NOT while in my care."
            My kids must wear shoes on walks and on concrete, but my yard is beautiful and I allow barefeet if they want, but most kids prefer having shoes on except in the sand. her statement felt judgemental against us that allow barefeet, lots of exclamations.
            one of my neighbors requires shoes at all times at their daycare, but they also plays in the front yard right by the street. I support your rules for shoes at all times, I just don't want to be judged for allowing bare feet.

Comment

I'm not arguing you here blackcat, the unregistered user came across harsh in her first statement saying pretty much that those of us that allow no shoes, are using bad judgment and be irresponsible, I'm not arguing that everyone should let kids go barefoot, but I am not irresponsible for doing so myself.
              And she herself wrote "kids will get bee stings and stubbed toes, but NOT while in my care."
              My kids must wear shoes on walks and on concrete, but my yard is beautiful and I allow barefeet if they want, but most kids prefer having shoes on except in the sand. her statement felt judgemental against us that allow barefeet, lots of exclamations.
              one of my neighbors requires shoes at all times at their daycare, but they also plays in the front yard right by the street. I support your rules for shoes at all times, I just don't want to be judged for allowing bare feet.

I'm unregistered again.
              Not judging you on letting the kids go barefoot, but I think it is just being a little careful on having them wear shoes outside. Also my daycare parents would have a hissy fit if I let their child play in my front yard right by the street and I live on a very safe street with hardly any traffic. I guess I run my daycare different then a lot of you as I have done daycare for 30 years now and HAVE never had one child get hurt, I think that might say something about how I run my daycare. Enough said.
              This has gotten way out of proportion on this subject when all I was trying to convey is that it is a good idea to make the kids wear shoes to prevent any injuries while in your care. Does that make any sense.

Comment

I wasn't arguing with you either... I was just one of the only other posters that made the kids wear shoes and am kind of fanatical about it too so I just wanted to lend my perspective on why.

No worries... You are right though, no one should judge another for how they do things. It's all in what works for you.

Comment

It's not what you're saying, but the way you're saying it. It sounds like you believe anyone who doesn't do things the way you do is irresponsible and careless.
                  Do you tell parents they shouldn't let their children go barefoot at home? Or do you let them do things their own way? FTR, we always wear shoes outside. My house, my rules. You do whatever you want at your house.
                  ETA directed to the original poster.

Comment

Just wondering what the providers do when it's time to run in the sprinklers or have water games,water table, sponge and bucket play etc.

If they wear their shoes for these activities ? If they get them soaked, do you have several back up shoes for this?

Also, do you require long pants, long sleeves, hats and gloves to protect their skin from scrapes and bees?

My kids have ran around in bathing suits, sandals, shorts/tops and sundresses all Summer!

They go back to school with golden tans and wonderful memories but after reading this I am getting concerned that maybe I should have them in some sort of shoes just in case

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                      Just wondering what the providers do when it's time to run in the sprinklers or have water games,water table, sponge and bucket play etc.

If they wear their shoes for these activities ? If they get them soaked, do you have several back up shoes for this?
                      My DCK's all have water shoes. They cost less than $6 per pair. Like this:

Also, do you require long pants, long sleeves, hats and gloves to protect their skin from scrapes and bees?
                      I don't require long pants, long sleeves or gloves to protect them from scrapes. We also don't have any bushes, trees or shrubs in our playground area. The toys are all plastic Little Tike type stuff so the possibility of a scrape is minimal.

I also spray my yard for bugs so the chance of a bee sting is minimal as well. Or atleast it must be as I have never had a child get a bee sting in over two decades of doing this.

I myself, have NEVER been stung by a bee.

I DO require the kids to have hats though.

Comment

My DCK's all have water shoes. They cost less than $6 per pair. Like this:

I don't require long pants, long sleeves or gloves to protect them from scrapes. We also don't have any bushes, trees or shrubs in our playground area. The toys are all plastic Little Tike type stuff so the possibility of a scrape is minimal.

I also spray my yard for bugs so the chance of a bee sting is minimal as well. Or atleast it must be as I have never had a child get a bee sting in over two decades of doing this.

I myself, have NEVER been stung by a bee.

I DO require the kids to have hats though.
                        Is it hard for them to do slip n slides with those water shoes?
                        Also, what kind of bug spray do you use?

Comment

Is it hard for them to do slip n slides with those water shoes?
                          Also, what kind of bug spray do you use?
                          Actually the worst thing about the slip and slide is when kids get ready to run down it and slide, they usually hit the plastic and then their feet slip right out from under them (....anyone who has used a slip and slide knows what I mean) so the water shoes actually help that activity go a lot smoother. Plus the kids slide on their bodies (tummy or backs) not their feet.

I use whatever kind of bug spray the parent brings me for their child but as far as spraying the yard goes we use a yard fogger type spray like this:

Comment

These are the lovely thorns all over the place outside:

We had a couple of days of below freezing temperatures this year (I know, Arizona actually does go below 32 degrees...sometimes a couple times !!) and all the bougainvilleas froze. Since the branches were all dead, they fell off as the temperatures increased and it's left thorns everywhere. Even if someone doesn't have bougainvilleas in their yard, the thorns blow in from neighboring yards. I can't tell you how many of these thorns I've pulled out of shoes this year ! Can you imagine stepping on one with a barefoot ?!

Comment

Owie! I didn't know bougainvillea had thorns My dcks wear shoes during water play and I do have spare shoes and clothes for everyone. Hats are a must, and they don't really get tan because they are repeatedly covered in sunscreen provided by their parents and we have lots of shade to play in. Parents provide insect repellent.
                              Some neighbour kids broke a bulb in our motion light with a basketball last weekend and the glass shattered...some in the grass. I wouldn't be at all comfortable with anyone being barefoot out there.

Comment

I'm with Blackcat. Unless we are in the little kiddie pool they must wear shoes in my yard! I don't want to chance them stepping on a bee, or sharp stick, or even a roofing nail. I still find these and our roof was done in 2007! I also do not like open toe sandles for dck's but, ds wears flip flops(not to run around in). Stubbed toes aren't the end of the world but, they do hurt. I can minimize the chances of these foot injuries by making them wear shoes. Mostly when we are outside they have water shoes on here as well that I just happen to have from my kids. I need 2 more pairs for the girls and I'm set!

Comment

Working...
                                X