No announcement yet.

Wearing Shoes Outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my sunscreen/insect repellent permission is a box where parents can specify whether their child can go barefoot or must wear shoes. I figure that covers liability issues.

Comment

My kids all go barefoot in my backyard and at the beach but wear shoes the rest of the time.

Comment

We wear shoes outside. I finally relented and allowed flip flops this year

Comment

No shoes needed for playing in the yard.

Comment

The kids have a choice as to whether or not to wear shoes in the yard. We have really nice green grass. I think it is important the kids feel the grass on their bare feet as a kid. It connects them to the natural world. There are always liability/safety issues to consider so I think you need to assess your particular yard and decide if you think it is safe. If we leave the yard to go on a walk or to the park all kids MUST have tennis shoes--no sandals allowed.

Comment

we have very thick St Augustine grass in our yard... they go barefoot in nice weather unless they are riding bikes or scooters, then they have to wear their shoes

Comment

No I don't, especially once the wading pools come out, they are all pretty much barefoot anyways, and the sandbox is easier with no shoes.

Comment

If we are off property-park, walk, etc-definitely. In the yard, it depends. If we have the sprinklers out, it's up to them. If the grass is really dry and pokey or we've had a storm and haven't gotten the sticks picked up, yes. Most wear them all the time because they can run faster.

Comment

I always make the kids wear their shoes while outside. You never know when one of them might step on something or get their foot caught in something! Then,when one of your daycare kids gets hurt outside with no shoes, who do you think is responsible for them getting hurt???
                    YOU are!!! and you are taking the chance of the parents getting really upset with you and they might even sue you over it! Be responsible providers! and make those kids wear their shoes outdoors!!! All you have to do is make them take them off right before you go inside, set them by the door and shake them out if sand is in them

This is a no brainier in my opinion! Use good judgement please!

Comment

Shoes are required while outside at ALL times here.

I even go a step farther and require tie shoes with NO open toes. No flip-flops, no sandals, no dress shoes and no Crocs.

When in the house ALL children must wear socks.

I do NOT allow bare feet at ANY time. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        I always make the kids wear their shoes while outside. You never know when one of them might step on something or get their foot caught in something! Then,when one of your daycare kids gets hurt outside with no shoes, who do you think is responsible for them getting hurt???
                        YOU are!!! and you are taking the chance of the parents getting really upset with you and they might even sue you over it! Be responsible providers! and make those kids wear their shoes outdoors!!! All you have to do is make them take them off right before you go inside, set them by the door and shake them out if sand is in them

This is a no brainier in my opinion! Use good judgement please!
                        That's pretty judgmental. You're making alot of assumptions about what different parents are comfortable with and what their providers are discussing with them.

You're also assuming all outdoor conditions are the same. My yard is soft and grassy and very barefoot friendly.

In my case I discuss all this in the interview. When we wear shoes and when we don't as well as what types of footwear are required. If parents don't want their children in bare feet my program is not the right fit for them for alot of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Meyou View Post
                          That's pretty judgmental. You're making alot of assumptions about what different parents are comfortable with and what their providers are discussing with them.

You're also assuming all outdoor conditions are the same. My yard is soft and grassy and very barefoot friendly.

In my case I discuss all this in the interview. When we wear shoes and when we don't as well as what types of footwear are required. If parents don't want their children in bare feet my program is not the right fit for them for alot of reasons.
                          I'm not trying to be judgmental, but for the safety of the children I would think that parents would appreciate the provider's looking out for their child. I don't care how grassy or barefoot friendly a yard is, there is always a chance that someone might hurt their foot,either by another child stepping on them,a stubbed toe,or even a bee sting that they may have stepped on a bee. If you discuss this with your parents, then they know what might happen and hopefully will not blame you anyway if their child gets their foot hurt.
                          My daycare is just where I won't take any chances of the children getting hurt while in my care. I may be overly cautious, but I am taking care of someone Else's child and am responsible for them while in my care.
                          What would you do if a child in your care DID get a foot cut or hurt in some way even tho you have a very grassy and barefoot friendly yard.....What would you tell the parents" Well, you knew this is how I take the kids outside, so don't blame me, not my fault"
                          Sorry, but that would not cut it with me if it was my child. I would expect my daycare provider to keep my child safe and not take any chances with anything they do.
                          This is just how I run my daycare.

Comment

Heaven forbid a kid get a bee sting or ::gasp:: stub a toe!

We're all for neutralizing our free radicals around here. We keep shoes on at the park or on trails. Otherwise it's at the kids' discretion.

More important, do you think I should require bubble wrap suits while the kids are in the house?

Comment

Originally posted by just_peachy View Post

We're all for neutralizing our free radicals around here. We keep shoes on at the park or on trails. Otherwise it's at the kids' discretion.

More important, do you think I should require bubble wrap suits while the kids are in the house?
                              WOW! That is being a little strong!!!!!!

Not saying that a child won't experience those things, but as far as how I operate my daycare, I will do anything to keep the kids from getting hurt or any injury while here.
                              If it means they wear shoes outside, then that is what they will do and I know for a fact that all my parents really have appreciated how much I look out for their child and they will tell me so. NO way would I leave it up to the child to tell me if they want to wear their shoes outdoors or not.if they want to go outside, then they have to wear their shoes, no butts about it or they won't be able to go outside. I AM the boss not the children and that is what is wrong with this world of parenting today!
                              Too many parents let their child be the boss, they want to be " their friend " and not the parent! Sorry, don't mean to change the subject and rant.

Anyway, kids will get bee stings and stubbed toes, but not while in my care.
                              Last edited by Blackcat31; 05-31-2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by just_peachy View Post

I know right! my kids just this morning were crab racing in the yard...now that meant ....get ready for it....their hands were walking on the grass without protective covers. my son fell on the pavement yesterday and got some awful road ash on his elbow, today its all blistered, and looks horrible, that is far worse than anything that has ever happened to the bottom of his feet, and he was just walking on the pavement and tripped on a rock. my back yard is nice and grassy, but yes kids have stepped on a stick before, but thankfully for me, no parent has sued me for a hurt foot yet. I guess I'll take my chances, my parents are all fine with their kids taking their shoes off, they go barefoot at home as well, but most of the time unless we are swimming the kids like to have shoes on, so they can move better.

Comment

Working...
                                X