Spanking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
    Does this thought apply to teachers also? Just curious-not being snarky.

Our children here are considered daycare age till 13 so thats why I was asking about teachers since kids are in school from age 6-obviously 13.
    Absolutely.

Comment

It is not allowed in this state, but regardless-- I would NEVER spank a child, mine or anyone else's. I do have a DCP that spanks their child and they've done it in front of me, and it makes me physically upset and uncomfortable. She is the only person I know that spanks their child, it's fairly uncommon around this area. DCB does not listen to her at all, but is a pretty good kid for me. I give him clear expectations and follow through on my 'time out' punishment. She gives many, many warnings - then institutes a 'spank'. I just don't see how spanking could work, I was spanked as a child in certain situations and I know I just used to laugh after it. Spanking would get harder and it wouldn't address the issue but become more of a tug of war for control.

Comment

I would never spank a child or sign a permission form for a school to spank. I grew up with parents that spanked and swore I would never do that. My mom and I have discussed this many times-spanking back then used to be more of a norm than it is now and she thinks kids act worse than they used to because of it. Even though I was spanked I do not feel like I was scarred for life but I feel like there are better ways to handle bad behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
          It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to assaulta daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

(general you)
          This is a little much isnt it?? most of the posts here are talking about parents that enforce corporal punishment and request it of the provider and what the rules are about that?? So why would you question a providers need to be in a profession if that is what the PARENT chooses..
          Not gonna even argue the point of corporal punishment because like I said, i do what my state requires for my DCKs, and what i believe is not up for discussion. i think we were all sharing ideas very respectfully about a touchy subject. no need to pass judgement and make sensational references to make it go southward..

Comment

Just wanted to have the definition of assault.

as·sault

/əˈsôlt/

Verb: Make a physical attack on.

Noun: A physical attack: "his imprisonment for an assault on the film director"; "sexual assaults".

Synonyms

verb.

attack - assail - charge - storm - rush

noun.

attack - onset - aggression - offense - raid - offence
            Each day is a fresh start
            Never look back on regrets
            Live life to the fullest
            We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by allsmiles View Post
              This is a little much isnt it?? most of the posts here are talking about parents that enforce corporal punishment and request it of the provider and what the rules are about that?? So why would you question a providers need to be in a profession if that is what the PARENT chooses..
              Not gonna even argue the point of corporal punishment because like I said, i do what my state requires for my DCKs, and what i believe is not up for discussion. i think we were all sharing ideas very respectfully about a touchy subject. no need to pass judgement and make sensational references to make it go southward..
              Not sure what you're asking me here....I only referenced providers, not parents or their preferences.

Further, by definition corporal punishment IS assault:
              Definition, Synonyms, Translations of corporal punishment by The Free Dictionary

That's not my opinion.

You couldnt go out and "spank" an employee for screwing up on the job, or slap someone speaking to you disrespectfully on the street. If one did, they'd be charged with?
              ASSAULT.
              Because that's what physically aggressing on someone else is.

Comment

im not asking you anything. Just suggesting that you might want to choose your words when commenting. You may not have meant it the way it sounded..

yes you did reference providers i know, and THAT is NOT on topic with the post.. the post is questioning providers ability to spank at a parents request? not if you the provider believes you should spank as a means of discipline or not.. so your words about "not needing to be in this profession" were an unnecessary attack? especially given the fact it is LEGAL in some schools?
                if this HAD been the topic.. i would have kept moving personally because its one i dont want to be apart of.. it will get ugly

and that IS your opinion about assault LOL..nowhere does it say physical punishment equals assault and thats okay that you think it is assault or you think its immoral, unethical, WRONG.. etc.. i totally understand and respect that.. MOST of the ppl here who commented probably agree , but they chose to answer the question put before them without negativity and judgement..

sorry if you dont understand where im coming from.. its okay.

Comment

funny thing is...I think I have gotten permission to spank almost every child I have cared for! you know that "if he doesn't listen, you can spank him, I don't mind!" yea, that would hold up!

Comment

I just want to clarify, that originally I was purely curious whether any state allowed DCP to use physical punishment.

I am not looking to pack up and move that that state so that I can spank my DCK

Comment

Corporal punishment

I'm not sure about other states, but here in ms, it's legal for public schools to spank (with lots of red tape and parental permission) as well as unlicensed providers. I'm a legal but unlicensed facility and ALL of my parents signed the form and insisted from day one to discipline them as per my policy... Which states that after several time outs and other methods, if the child continues with the same behavior, even with that permission on paper, I contact the parents, get permission again and document that via recording or screen shot, and then administer, per my policy, corporal punishment. My policy is actually ten times more detailed than the one I signed for my daughter for public schools. I was raised with corporal punishment in the home and in school and neither I, nor anyone I grew up with turned out with problems. No, I didn't get "attacked" as a child, nor assaulted... And I don't do either of those things with my kids, or my dck. It's simply a preference like any other parental decision. I may be verbally "assaulted" for what I'm typing here but it's the truth nonetheless. Now, I'm not saying that corporal punishment is a common thing in my home, it is a last resort. But it does happen. I can't tell you what the licensed facilities here can or can't do. But here, in Mississippi, parents and schools that don't spank are fewer than most states.

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
                        I'm not sure about other states, but here in ms, it's legal for public schools to spank (with lots of red tape and parental permission) as well as unlicensed providers. I'm a legal but unlicensed facility and ALL of my parents signed the form and insisted from day one to discipline them as per my policy... Which states that after several time outs and other methods, if the child continues with the same behavior, even with that permission on paper, I contact the parents, get permission again and document that via recording or screen shot, and then administer, per my policy, corporal punishment. My policy is actually ten times more detailed than the one I signed for my daughter for public schools. I was raised with corporal punishment in the home and in school and neither I, nor anyone I grew up with turned out with problems. No, I didn't get "attacked" as a child, nor assaulted... And I don't do either of those things with my kids, or my dck. It's simply a preference like any other parental decision. I may be verbally "assaulted" for what I'm typing here but it's the truth nonetheless. Now, I'm not saying that corporal punishment is a common thing in my home, it is a last resort. But it does happen. I can't tell you what the licensed facilities here can or can't do. But here, in Mississippi, parents and schools that don't spank are fewer than most states.
                        I won't be verbally assaulting you. I actually like your policy. I am in favor of spanking when used correctly, and sparingly. One of my DCM took a parenting class that said "if you are using spanking correctly you shouldn't have to do it often, and should be done by age 5.". Which I thought was interesting.

Now in my state, that is a no-no, so I will not be spanking DCK at any time. I would say 50% of my parents do spank at home.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, and i agree with that parenting class. In my home, even with my own kids, it's a rare thing. And, contrary to popular belief, you can spank a child without abusing them, humiliating them, or teaching them violence.

Comment

Originally posted by allsmiles View Post
                            I am not a spanker. I do believe that my children deserve security of person just as an adult, but I agree that this verbage rubbed me the wrong way too. This kind of wording is for shock value and instead of getting people to understand your point of view it puts them on the defensive and is counter productive.

OT but this is something I try to teach my kids...how to voice your opinion in a way that will actually be heard. This opinion of saying parents who spank are guilty of assault and criminal charges is not going to have the opinion heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
                              It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to assault a daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

(general you)
                              I think it's important to understand that spanking itself is a very hot topic now a days. However, I was raised in a very different manner. We were taught as do I now, spare the rod, spoil the child. It's a part of my very basic religious belief. Because its the way I was raised and now raise my kids is a personal decision, as is the decision their parents make. It's also a very deep rooted cultural thing here in the south. Now please keep in mind, my idea of spanking is very different than the media describes it. Parents that BEAT their kids are NOT spanking them too rough. They are BEATING them. But for some reason the media puts both of these words in the same category and that is not realistic. Don't get me started on the media.

It's no different than parents who let their kids stay up too late compared to the standards of others, and other decisions that you may make for your kid that I may not necessarily agree with. As far as I know, spanking is still a personal choice if done in the sense of a real spanking and not physical abuse because those are actually very different methods.

I think as a parent it's unfair to ask our kids to respect the opinion of others when we ourselves as the general adult population can't do the same. While I agree that every parent has the right to discipline their child the way they seem fit, then I have that same right. And while everyone has an opinion, it shouldn't be acceptable to defame the character and profession of a parent (or a provider who has that legal and ethical right) to enforce corporal punishment and chooses to do... Just that...

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
                                Thanks, and i agree with that parenting class. In my home, even with my own kids, it's a rare thing. And, contrary to popular belief, you can spank a child without abusing them, humiliating them, or teaching them violence.
                                exactly this.. i can actually count on ONE hand the times we have chosen to spank our own children, and mine are 15 and 11 now.. like you said it is a last resort.

Comment

Working...
                                X