Spanking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanking...

The thread about a DCP spanking got me thinking, is there any state where it is legal for a DCP to spank a DCC with parental permission ?

I know most states don't allow it, but I have to wonder if any do ?

In OK all forms of physical punishment are prohibited in daycares, however there are still some public schools that allow spanking if they have a parents permission. (In college I did an internship at a public school that used corporal punishment I had never witnessed that in 12 years of public school at a neighboring school district) and asked my advisor for the class and she said that it is legal, but most school districts don't practice it, but it is legal). So to me it is odd that a school can spank with parental permission, but a daycare can't. Maybe because there has to be a witness at the school, and not all home daycares have a witness ?

I have no idea on other states, but it's not allowed in schools or daycare in Illinois.

Comment

"19 states*— mostly in the south and mountain west regions*— teachers are perfectly entitled by law to spank.

According to the Center for Effective Discipline, the 19 states where spanking remains a legal form of punishment are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wyoming. Some districts within these states have opted out of spanking, and others send home a "permission sheet" with the student for his parent. But other districts, many of which are in rural locations, are wholeheartedly in favor of spanking.

In 2011, democratic state representative Ari Porth sponsored a bill to ban school corporal punishment statewide in Florida, but voters said "Nay."

If a teacher spanked your child for breaking the rules, how would you feel? It can happen in 19 states. Read on for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        "19 states*— mostly in the south and mountain west regions*— teachers are perfectly entitled by law to spank.

According to the Center for Effective Discipline, the 19 states where spanking remains a legal form of punishment are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wyoming. Some districts within these states have opted out of spanking, and others send home a "permission sheet" with the student for his parent. But other districts, many of which are in rural locations, are wholeheartedly in favor of spanking.

In 2011, democratic state representative Ari Porth sponsored a bill to ban school corporal punishment statewide in Florida, but voters said "Nay."

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/ar...ers-spank-kids
        I would be interested to see if any of those states allow DCP to spank. I am I'm OK, which is listed above - but DCP are not allowed to use corporal punishment. So it interests me to see if any states allow DCP to spank with permission.

FYI, the school district I was interning at was very rural.

Comment

I know it's not legal in my state to spank a day care child, even with parental permission. I don't think schools can use corporal punishment (I'm in NY) I'm pretty sure it's not allowed as teachers have told me they are told never to put their hands on a student, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
            I know it's not legal in my state to spank a day care child, even with parental permission. I don't think schools can use corporal punishment (I'm in NY) I'm pretty sure it's not allowed as teachers have told me they are told never to put their hands on a student, ever.
            In tn you cannot spank in licensed programs. Spanking is allowed in public schools. I have not heard of it being utilized but parents sign a paper every year.

Comment

In Ontario, Canada it is illegal for a dcprovider to spank a dck even if parents give permission.

It is illegal for.a parent to spank a child younger than 2 or older than 12. It is illegal to spank with an object or on the face or in a humiliating way (on bare bum), or to leave a mark.

Comment

I'm in Florida and I didn't know schools could spank. I've never heard of it. I did work in a public school when I first moved here in 1995 and it was never mentioned. I guess it is though.

It is not in daycares. We have to have parents sign a paper which says: Child shall not be subjected to discipline which is severe, humiliating or frightening. Discipline shall not be associated with food, rest or toileting. Spanking or any other form of physical punishment is prohibited.

In Florida, daycare rules are largely determined by the county you live in. However, there are some state laws regarding daycares. I'm not sure if the above applies to just our county or not as I've always done daycare only here.

Laurel

Comment

In Kansas it is illegal to spank in a daycare even with parent permission.

Comment

Originally posted by AnneCordelia View Post
                    In Ontario, Canada it is illegal for a dcprovider to spank a dck even if parents give permission.

It is illegal for.a parent to spank a child younger than 2 or older than 12. It is illegal to spank with an object or on the face or in a humiliating way (on bare bum), or to leave a mark.
                    I didn't know there were age limits. Where did you find this?

Comment

My daughter attends a charter school that enforces corporal punishment but they have you sign a paper every year and you can choose NOT to allow it for your child.. This is not the case in any public schools.. i am in texas
                      many parents have given us permission to hit or spank. No matter my personal beliefs about it, we have to tell them its not allowed by the State so we cant.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleD View Post
                        I didn't know there were age limits. Where did you find this?
                        Section 43 of the Criminal Code says parents, teachers and others standing in place of a guardian may spank. However in 2004 the Supreme Court of Ontario made some stipulations to that section.

This website is from New Brunswick but the info and citations are there. http://www.legal-info-legale.nb.ca/e...ining_children

Comment

It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to assault a daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

(general you)

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
                            It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to assault a daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

(general you)

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post

(general you)
                              Does this thought apply to teachers also? Just curious-not being snarky.

Our children here are considered daycare age till 13 so thats why I was asking about teachers since kids are in school from age 6-obviously 13.
                              Each day is a fresh start
                              Never look back on regrets
                              Live life to the fullest
                              We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Working...
                              X