Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's Your Opportunity To Comment On "Universal Preschool" Proposed By Pres. Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure how I feel about Universal Preschool.

Food for thought: I have seen many providers here who are inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach. I went to a college that taught this philosophy in it's early childhood program and I am inspired by it as well. This approach was created by a city that devotes 12% of it's budget to infant, toddler, & preschool programs. It is very successful for them

Comment

Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner concluded in their bestseller Freakonomics, based on an extensive regression anlysis, that the federal Head Start preschool program doesn’t work. They write, “Instead of spending the day with his own undereducated, overworked mother, the typical … Continued

My favorite quote about head start.

Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner concluded in their bestseller Freakonomics, based on an extensive regression anlysis, that the federal Head Start preschool program doesn't work. They write, “Instead of spending the day with his own undereducated, overworked mother, the typical Head Start child spends the day with someone else’s undereducated, overworked mother.”
      http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
        http://reason.org/blog/show/head-sta...federal-presch

Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner concluded in their bestseller Freakonomics, based on an extensive regression anlysis, that the federal Head Start preschool program doesn't work. They write, “Instead of spending the day with his own undereducated, overworked mother, the typical Head Start child spends the day with someone else’s undereducated, overworked mother.”
        Once again, Nannyde nails it. Perfect quote, and true in every experience I ever had with Head Start.

I have seen many Head Start programs, as I used to evaluate potential student's in their educational environments before enrolling them in our public school special needs preschool. I can attest to the lackluster education provided firsthand.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          I guess im in favor of this because i don't see anything wrong with it. And obama got a second term because more people voted for him, its as simple as that. I agree with person that obama had a load to clean up after bush. I always remind people that yall gave bush 8 years to make a mess so why would you expect Obama to clean it up in 4?
          I agree with you and Crystal!

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
            "He was elected a second term because the MAJORITY do support him."

The majority of WHO?

If you break down who actually voted for him it wasn't the majority of people in this country who are working and paying taxes to pay for all of the agendas he pushes.

That's not me being a meanie, that's statistic and fact.

Sure everyone counts as an individual on some level, but is it fair that people who AREN'T paying for these programs should be able to cast a vote that forces *other* people to??

I guess that can be debated but I personally think it's ridiculous.

Add to that, he may have won the electoral college votes but the popular vote was split literally right down the middle. HALF of this country's people did not believe he was fit to run this country..

HALF.

In the grand scheme of all the elections ever held that is a doozy of a number and shows a severe lack of confidence on a vast amount of American's parts.

And yes, everyone knows everything was George Bush's fault, that's why this country is further in debt than it ever has been 4+ years AFTER Obama came in to fix everything
            You hit the nail on the head, Willow.... At this point, Obama can't use Bush as the scapegoat for the issues our country is facing. Sorry, you don't get to blame your predecessor over 4 years later. Obama is doing a very "good" job of messing up this country all on his own. I am very concerned for my children who are going to be paying for Obama's constant additions to entitlements which will make thier taxes outrageous. It is not "the government" who pays for all of these programs, it is everyone who pays taxes. Obama won the election because there are still too many people out there who think they can get something for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
              No, the people pay for it. The government does not.

We don't have money for this. We have a broken public school system so why add to that?!?!

I support early education but I also know there is NO significant proof that children who have early childhood education do any better than the next kid who didn't have it. (with the exception of low income children)

I think that what early childhood aged children need is more face time with their parents, more enriched quality care NOT education.

The money for this would be far better spent if it was for mothers (and fathers) to have longer maternity leaves, more education on health, safety and quality parenting skills.
              My husband was just reading me an article the other day about the research on these types of early education programs that were done at a state level. I believe it said that by 3rd grade, the children in the early education program had lost any lead they had on children who were not in the early education programs studied. It was a ton of money put into something that did not have lasting impact. I will have to try to find the article he was looking at to get specifics.

.....found it, it is from the Washington Examiner:
              Last edited by saved4always; 03-07-2013, 05:23 PM. Reason: Found article so added link

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post

Here is a recent add for a head start teacher for our area. I really do not see how the person would be under educated:

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's
                degree in
                early childhood education OR degree and coursework equivalent to early childhood education WITH experience teaching preschool-age children OR an Associate's degree in early childhood education AND must be able to obtain a Bachelor's degree in early childhood education by September 30, 2013. At time of appointment, must possess valid driver's license and be enrolled in the Criminal History Registry. Following appointment, within 30 days of employment, must: acquire a first aid card and food handler's card and renew as necessary to keep current, have a valid Oregon drivers license and participate in staff health appraisal.
                NOTE: Qualified applicants with bilingual capabilities in English/Spanish, will be given extra consideration.

DRIVING RECORD: Applicants selected for interview will be required to bring to the interview a recent Court Print driving history obtained from the DMV. Please allow 3-5 days for delivery and longer for out of state.

In addition to the above, applications will receive further evaluation based on the following: Knowledge of: Considerable knowledge of child development; considerable knowledge of educational curriculum and development of child progress plans. Skill in: Planning and implementing lessons, observing, identifying, and recording children's levels of development; basic use of
                computers
                . Ability to: Communicate effectively in both oral and written forms; make decisions independently in accordance with established policies, and use initiative and judgment in carrying out tasks and responsibilities; work within a team structure; estimate time and materials to manage time efficiently; multi-task; establish and maintain records, reports, and statistical data; represent Head Start in a variety of settings; maintain confidentiality; utilize problem identification and resolution techniques; remain calm and use good judgment during confrontational or high pressure situations; use large and small group leadership skills; courteously meet and deal effectively with coworkers, children, families and the public.
                Each day is a fresh start
                Never look back on regrets
                Live life to the fullest
                We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                  Here is a recent add for a head start teacher for our area. I really do not see how the person would be under educated:

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's
                  degree in
                  early childhood education OR degree and coursework equivalent to early childhood education WITH experience teaching preschool-age children OR an Associate's degree in early childhood education AND must be able to obtain a Bachelor's degree in early childhood education by September 30, 2013. At time of appointment, must possess valid driver's license and be enrolled in the Criminal History Registry. Following appointment, within 30 days of employment, must: acquire a first aid card and food handler's card and renew as necessary to keep current, have a valid Oregon drivers license and participate in staff health appraisal.
                  NOTE: Qualified applicants with bilingual capabilities in English/Spanish, will be given extra consideration.

DRIVING RECORD: Applicants selected for interview will be required to bring to the interview a recent Court Print driving history obtained from the DMV. Please allow 3-5 days for delivery and longer for out of state.

In addition to the above, applications will receive further evaluation based on the following: Knowledge of: Considerable knowledge of child development; considerable knowledge of educational curriculum and development of child progress plans. Skill in: Planning and implementing lessons, observing, identifying, and recording children's levels of development; basic use of
                  computers
                  . Ability to: Communicate effectively in both oral and written forms; make decisions independently in accordance with established policies, and use initiative and judgment in carrying out tasks and responsibilities; work within a team structure; estimate time and materials to manage time efficiently; multi-task; establish and maintain records, reports, and statistical data; represent Head Start in a variety of settings; maintain confidentiality; utilize problem identification and resolution techniques; remain calm and use good judgment during confrontational or high pressure situations; use large and small group leadership skills; courteously meet and deal effectively with coworkers, children, families and the public.
                  Key words are "spend the days with"

Of course they have licensed teachers but the teachers aren't the ones taking care of the kids.

It's like nursing homes... there are nurses there but they aren't the ones doing the hands on care of the residents. The vast majority of the cares are being done by low level workers.

Comment

I am sure it is different everywhere, but I can attest to the Head Start programs here being high quality. Over the past three years I have conducted ECERS on the same 20 headstart programs. Each year they have significantly improved on their scores and last year were very close to achieving the highest score - 7. They LISTENED to my feedback and took it seriously. They implemented changes neccessary to improve their programs, although they scored well the first time. They, beginning this year, require ALL teachers to have a Bachelor's Degree. These children are leaps and bounds ahead of children who have not had the opportunity to attend quality programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                      I am sure it is different everywhere, but I can attest to the Head Start programs here being high quality. Over the past three years I have conducted ECERS on the same 20 headstart programs. Each year they have significantly improved on their scores and last year were very close to achieving the highest score - 7. They LISTENED to my feedback and took it seriously. They implemented changes neccessary to improve their programs, although they scored well the first time. They, beginning this year, require ALL teachers to have a Bachelor's Degree. These children are leaps and bounds ahead of children who have not had the opportunity to attend quality programs.
                      Isn't it really sad that a program that has had BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of dollars spent on it for DECADES needs a you to improve their program?

Comment

• Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                        A Bachelor's degree in what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Meeko View Post
                          One of my best friends teaches KG. She has told me she is sick of getting kids who can quote their numbers/alphabet/quantum physics........and yet can't sit still, can't share, are rude, bullies, etc etc etc. She has always implored me to pleeeease stick to teaching my daycare kids life skills and not try to be "mini-KG". She wants kids READY to learn...not necessarily already knowing it all (those are the kids who get bored and act out in her class)
                          Agree. Ready to learn is more important.

Comment

• Originally posted by bunnyslippers View Post
                            It may be different in your state, but where I am from, Head Start is well-known as an abysmal failure.
                            Same here. I would never subject my child to Head Start here.

Comment

• Originally posted by nannyde View Post

my favorite quote about head start.

Steven levitt and stephen dubner concluded in their bestseller freakonomics, based on an extensive regression anlysis, that the federal head start preschool program doesn't work. They write, “instead of spending the day with his own undereducated, overworked mother, the typical head start child spends the day with someone else’s undereducated, overworked mother.”
                              bingo!

Comment

• I think it all boils down to the fact that there is no easy solution. I've observed a "push down" effect with schooling. By that, I mean that children are expected to know so much more academically at a younger age than ever before. Our local public schools have preschool for those who qualify and I have been amazed at how much emphasis is placed on academics as opposed to the priviate preschools my children went to, which focused more on social skills and learning through play. Childhood is short enough and it seems sad that children are pushed at such a young age. Just my 2c.

Comment

Working...
                                X