Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's Your Opportunity To Comment On "Universal Preschool" Proposed By Pres. Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scout View Post
    But, it's fun!! It's not every day we get to have these conversations with our dck's or our own!! Some of us don't see anyone over 4 all day long!
    Ok, ok, ok... maybe I'm just having an off day. Political discussion is a hot button for me, apparently

Comment

• Aaannnnnndddddd... You may continue

Comment

• Originally posted by Willow View Post
        That's a whole lotta *rolleyes" ! If it's intolerable, simply stop clicking on the link to the thread and move on to other topics?

I think it's been a great conversation, lots of respectful back and forth. There is nothing wrong with hashing out the information that people have that's brought them to the beliefs they currently hold.
        I agree!!! I've seen MANY of these debates (not referring to this site but there have been a few ) get way out of control and become personal attacks on one another rather than about the issues at hand. I, personally, like debates like this because they always provide a view I've never considered or I find out information I've never heard of/learned before.

I've liked checking in on this thread and only felt the urge to let out an "oh brother!" a few times!! :: ::

Comment

• Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post

I have to say, this thread is becoming intolerable for me. I know I don't have to view it, but the some of the responses are on the verge of ridiculous.

It's unlikely that anyone in this thread is going to change anyone elses opinion to match their own, yet many on here are debating it like they that's their goal.
          Hmmm. Methinks you just told us to pipe down. This is very mild considering the topic. This issue cuts to the core of the great divide in child care/education. It SHOULD get heated because it's straight serious. If we can't whack it around then who should?
          http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

• Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
            I guess I'm wondering why the "government" should give the people the tools? Thats my question-why shouldn't the parents give the kids the tools. The government didn't give me my tools-my parents did and generation to generation before that. This generation is being told/given to many things by the government and it !
            I don't necessarily think the government SHOULD give people (parents) the tools but I do think the government is responsible for taking away the tools.

The government has robbed society of the ability to use those necessary life skills by enabling people.

Just like the parents we vent about who rob their children of independence by coddling them.

Comment

I have to say, this thread is becoming intolerable for me. I know I don't have to view it, but the some of the responses are on the verge of ridiculous.

It's unlikely that anyone in this thread is going to change anyone elses opinion to match their own, yet many on here are debating it like they that's their goal.
              Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
              ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

• Thank you everyone for quoting the post where I went a little craycray... I wrote other stuff after that

Comment

Thank you everyone for quoting the post where I went a little craycray... I wrote other stuff after that
                  Hey no problem - we all love each other even when we disagree lovethis.

I do believe this is an important topic to discuss, debate, argue about, whatever because if and when this gets passed it has the potential to change a lot of what most of us do.

I don't know how much it will change my business since I serve mostly middle into upper class families. I've always encouraged my families to send their 4 year olds to some type of preschool because I do not offer a "structured" type of program. All but 2 families over the years have chosen the half day, two or three times a week program and opted for their children to remain with me until they age out to kindy. If this proposal turns into "Preschool for All" then I will simply lose kids a year earlier. I don't think it will hurt me and I'm not worried about it.

I can see how it could really affect providers in other areas, though, and that's why I think it deserves not only a good discussion amongst ourselves, but with others who have the ability to affect the outcome. Who better to start that discussion than those it affects the most.

This is a little redundant from my original post, but here is the fact sheet released by the White House:

http://seiu99.org/files/2013/02/Earl...hite-House.pdf

Comment

• I know this post is old, but I found it to be an excellent read! Especially considering our current political climate. It is amazing how much can change in 4 years, yet the conversation seems to remain the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                      Key words are "spend the days with"

Of course they have licensed teachers but the teachers aren't the ones taking care of the kids.

It's like nursing homes... there are nurses there but they aren't the ones doing the hands on care of the residents. The vast majority of the cares are being done by low level workers.
                      I've worked in head start as a licensed early childhood/K-6 teacher. No way are the majority of cares being done by low level workers. In each room teachers were doing all hands-on interaction and care of the children. I was in a room of 15 3-5 yr. olds. There is no comparison to a nurse doing charting and going around room to room with meds.

I planned lessons, planned centers (after kids were gone), interacted with the children during free choice, conducted circle time, sat with them at lunch, helped get out mats, sat with them during nap, engaged in behavior management, cleaned room, etc. there wasn't anything my assistant was doing that I wasn't. I was with the children 100% of the day!

No different than when I taught kindergarten.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        I've worked in head start as a licensed early childhood/K-6 teacher. No way are the majority of cares being done by low level workers. In each room teachers were doing all hands-on interaction and care of the children. I was in a room of 15 3-5 yr. olds. There is no comparison to a nurse doing charting and going around room to room with meds.

I planned lessons, planned centers (after kids were gone), interacted with the children during free choice, conducted circle time, sat with them at lunch, helped get out mats, sat with them during nap, engaged in behavior management, cleaned room, etc. there wasn't anything my assistant was doing that I wasn't. I was with the children 100% of the day!

I was the low level worker at one time.
                        The teacher in my room didn't do much.
                        I had no degree, no prior experience.
                        I had nothing other than willingness to work.
                        That's the way it was in most the centers our agency was in charge of (approx 2 dozen) so your experience IMHO wasn't the norm in all Head Start classrooms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

The similarity is very much the same. In our nursing homes, CNAs do the majority of hands on care. Low lelvel does not mean unqualified, it just means that you do not need a degree to provide the day to day basic care of patients or children. Even in our school district, with exception to teachers, a large part of basic care/supervision is provided by people with no degree in education. There is nothing wrong with it and in fact, proves the point that quality care can be provided by those with little to no professional education.

Comment

Working...
                          X