Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHILDCARE Is NOT Expensive.... Having CHILDREN Is Expensive!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a parent like this last year. Did not want to buy formula. My supervisor asked if no one ever told them kids cost money ::

Comment

I had a parent like this last year. Did not want to buy formula. My supervisor asked if no one ever told them kids cost money

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
        Where does PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY factor into the "affordable childcare" agenda????????

Why is my need to earn an income to support my children LESS important that the needs of my clients to support theirs??? I already work longer hours and every bit as hard as they do for less pay.

Anyone? :confused:
        RIGHT??? And why can't he start by making gas less expensive? Or other needs less expensive for EVERYONE? Not just the low income.

Why can the power company say "Well, everybody is doing a great job of saving energy, unfortunately, that means we (the power company) isn't making as much money as we were before all these energy saving appliances and solar power came out, so we are raising your rates 40% to make up for the money you are all saving."

Comment

3 years later.

Have you felt any hope with your changes
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

3 years later.

:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Comment

I saw this post and I thought I had to comment on it . Truthfully I think most speeches are given to promote shock value. If people start thinking child care is expensive, they should be thinking about other things that are expensive that they have to get for their kid. I remember reading an article in one of my magazines I like. It talked about expenses this girl spent for her baby's first year. I saw the every week expenses added up to 200 dollars a week (excluding daycare. I cannot remember how much it was with daycare.) *

*Now I just looked at the date of the original post . If I was a member in 2013, I still would have posted this :: .

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyslippers View Post
                Nothing makes me angrier than the entitlement factor in our country. I have worked my a** off since I was 16 in order to afford children and the lifestyle I live. Why on EARTH do other people have the right to access my money to pay for THEIR children?!??!

Childcare is expensive. So is food. And milk. And formula. And preschool tuition. And after school activities. And clothing. And diapers. And toys. And, and, and!!!!!
                I've always assumed these UPK situations were due to other countries. I know in France, I have relatives there, children are mandated to attend "school" at 2 years old. I said this when I used to work in a school, they'll start taking kids once they're 8 weeks old. I know in NY, part of the "teacher" education is how to care for INFANTS. I'm not saying having an infant makes you not a teacher, but I don't think infants belong in a public school or large daycare setting. This is not American belief or wanting, this is a "This is the way it's done in other countries, why are we behind?". I know people can post links to show American school children do "worse", but we'd actually do better if we didn't including special needs children in our results as other nations don't when publishing this results. Also, in America we teach everyone the same, unless the child has some type of extreme need. In Europe, you basically have a college track and a noncollege track. So, one group is college bound, one is not, and one is special ed. Here everyone is college track, unless extreme conditions are involved. Sorry this is long.

Comment

Oh, this topic drives me crazy.

I was once asked by a dcp if I reduced the weekly payment as the child gets older. (I don't.)

My response is this,
                  "Is the cost to raise a college student less than a teenager, a teen less than an elementary child, an elementary child less than a preschooler, preschooler less than an toddler, a toddler less than an infant, infant less than cost of being pregnant?

It just amazes me how parents are flabbergasted to find out they are expected to pay someone to care for their children up. Especially considering we care for them to 50 hours a week.

If I'm really p'd, my filter comes off and my simple response is, " Using any form of birth control is always cheaper than childcare." I mean, we all have options. If you don't want to spend a large majority of your income raising children, don't have any.

Plus, I've learned that most of my clients get the money back with the Childcare Credit in their tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by cat herder View Post
                    he said "childcare is expensive." then went on to explain that young working parents deserved "better", "more affordable" options, better "quality"... And all the buzzwords that are forcing private daycare owners out of business.

I said (well, implied) i am also a young working parent who deserves better judgement from my leaders... I work my *** off, i do a good job, have provided this service in good faith for years in my community and i make much less than my clients....

I am not the enemy he is portraying me to be.
                    exactly!

Comment

3 years later.

OMG, I totally didn't notice the date of this post and thought he just said this AGAIN.

I am so sick of it!!! Just today I dealt with the one who can't afford to pay me for the 12 extra days she wants to bring her child this summer - you know, as she parks her brand new car next to my 15 yr old van and walks in with "MK" imprinted on everything she owns.

Comment

I had one dcm who told me, the week before Christmas, that her preschooler would not be attending since the school age sib was off school. She didn't want to pay. I reminded her of our contract and she said, "Well, if you can't afford to pay your bills, you should rent out your bedrooms and live in the daycare area."

I wanted to say," Well, if you can't afford YOUR bills, why don't YOU rent out YOUR bedroom and share the bunkbeds with your kids?"

Comment

I've found the people who realize this is your job and you do it professionally aren't the problem. It's the yahoos who think either 1) DCPs do it just because "they love kids" or 2)any private sector job that services others is "beneath them". Like they're doing you a "favor" by granting you the opportunity to be at their beck and call. They annoy me to no end.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
                            I've found the people who realize this is your job and you do it professionally aren't the problem. It's the yahoos who think either 1) DCPs do it just because "they love kids" or 2)any private sector job that services others is "beneath them". Like they're doing you a "favor" by granting you the opportunity to be at their beck and call. They annoy me to no end.
                            And some of them are just entitled. In the last week I have seen two FB posts looking for care that make me shake me head. One saying she needed cheap daycare for 4 kids, and would only pay $150 a week. Yeah, that is $37.50 per child per week. I can afford to work for that!

The other one was looking for someone two hours a day that would come to another town, pick him up from work, and take him and the kids back home. What are we a taxi?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                              OMG, I totally didn't notice the date of this post and thought he just said this AGAIN.

I am so sick of it!!! Just today I dealt with the one who can't afford to pay me for the 12 extra days she wants to bring her child this summer - you know, as she parks her brand new car next to my 15 yr old van and walks in with "MK" imprinted on everything she owns.
                              The fact I don't know what MK is, must mean I really am poor .

Comment

Originally posted by wahmof3 View Post
                                I totally agree! I have public assistance families ask for W-10 and they don't even pay a fraction of what my private pay families pay. Seems like the public assistance families should have to report childcare assistance as some sort of income on their taxes.
                                I couldn't agree more!

Comment

Working...
                                X