Parent Aware ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meeko View Post

What about those of us who just want to provide a safe, loving home-away-from-home for some little ones, without all the bells and whistles?

It infuriates me that the so-called "experts" think that kids need these "programs" by age 6 months or they're going to be left behind. Poor kids. Let the poor things play!

AGREE 1,000,000%!!!!!!!!

I think that's exactly where a lot of the problems kids today have are coming from. Everything is being pushed too hard, too soon. It's all TOO MUCH!!!! All of it is just producing are children who are lacking in almost every area across the board.

Who cares if the child can read at the age of three if by the time they're 5 and entering Kindergarten they have no sense of imagination, zero creativity, no ability to play independently and have nerves so frazzled they literally can't calm the heck down. It's pressure pressure pressure to learn things they shouldn't need to be bothered with at that point.

People raised "back in the good old days" were a heck of a lot more even keeled than what's being spit out of senior high school today. I'm young (enough) and can see that plain as day.

We are not producing generations of kids who are smarter and better equipped, far too many are either train wrecks or slipping through the cracks. I do think this is one of the reasons behind that.

IMHO the ONLY thing a child needs to worry about when they're 0-5 is being a child. Many stay at home mom's with solid common sense and a hefty dash of patience are plenty capable of providing the best care for them there is.

The only reason why I'm on board the Montessori train is it seems to center kids and trains them to focus and regroup from the stresses they experience outside of my home. I certainly don't need to be adding more of those while they're here.

The only ones equipped to be evaluating anyone as far as I'm concerned - are the kids themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by momofsix View Post
      This is what I don't agree with!
      IMHO the best place for a baby/young toddler is with mom. Actually I would go a lot further (in age) with that as I home schooled my kids
      I myself have a curriculum, a separate space dedicated to child care and a degree in early childhood education but I don't think those things should be a requirement for doing child care..
      I agree but this is also the same arguement everyone has about whether a provider is a teacher or not....kwim? Care is care. Education is education. NOT saying I agree, just saying that the state wants to define them in a clearer manner.

Some people want their child with a 'grandma" type person. Some want a sahm with their child as kind of of an extended family. Some want more structure but still want the family home feel. Some want a formal center with actual "homework".
      I think what type of care parents want should be left up to the parents. The state is trying to turn each daycare home into a mini-center or else they are just trying to push home dcp's our of business.. Every year new rules come out that are hard to do in a home without some major disruptions or annoyances.
      I also agree that parents should be able to choose what type of care environment they want for their child and they still will be able to do that. But the rating system gives them the tools to find that care rather than calling every provider in the area.

I just think giving stars is mis-leading as to which place is "better" than another. They should just make categories IMHO, such as "Home-like provider" or "Educational provider" or "Blue Provider" and "Green Provider"...LOL!! You know what I mean...anything that helps to better sort through all the different types of care there are without insinuating one is actually BETTER than another based on stars.

My state wants me to do home visit conferences with parents to earn a star. My parents don't want that and I certainly don't want to spend my evenings having conferences in dcp homes!
      There are a lot of providers on here that don't do an organized curriculum, don't have degrees etc., yet I would love my child to be a part of their daycares. Soon, the way things are going that won't be possible.
      Parents should still be able to have a choice and I don't think forced daycare will be coming our way yet but Catherder said a while back that her state makes it virtually impossible to be a child care provider as they once were and have so many new requirements that it isn't easy to do any more.

She now has to have a CDA whether she wanted one or not. Plus her state has free preschool to anyone 3 and over taking half the available kids needing care out of the equasion which basically leaves family child care providers having to really find clients and investing all the hard work and time into a child for the first 3 years to lose them to free preschool afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow View Post
        AGREE 1,000,000%!!!!!!!!

I think that's exactly where a lot of the problems kids today have are coming from. Everything is being pushed too hard, too soon. It's all TOO MUCH!!!! All of it is just producing are children who are lacking in almost every area across the board.

Who cares if the child can read at the age of three if by the time they're 5 and entering Kindergarten they have no sense of imagination, zero creativity, no ability to play independently and have nerves so frazzled they literally can't calm the heck down. It's pressure pressure pressure to learn things they shouldn't need to be bothered with at that point.

People raised "back in the good old days" were a heck of a lot more even keeled than what's being spit out of senior high school today. I'm young (enough) and can see that plain as day.

We are not producing generations of kids who are smarter and better equipped, far too many are either train wrecks or slipping through the cracks. I do think this is one of the reasons behind that.

IMHO the ONLY thing a child needs to worry about when they're 0-5 is being a child. Many stay at home mom's with solid common sense and a hefty dash of patience are plenty capable of providing the best care for them there is.

The only reason why I'm on board the Montessori train is it seems to center kids and trains them to focus and regroup from the stresses they experience outside of my home. I certainly don't need to be adding more of those while they're here.

The only ones equipped to be evaluating anyone as far as I'm concerned - are the kids themselves.
        Willow......you are absoultely right but according to every educational insititute out there...Early education is beneficial to every child...although not one study can actually prove that to be true unless you count only underpriviledged children or children living in poverty.

Why is it suddenly ok for a 4 year old to not be potty trained but yet MUST know his ABC's and 123's upon Kindy entrance.....kind of a small gap for mastery of those skills to be so close together :confused:

It is all about the money. Same goes for the food program. We can feed the kids Corn chips now because there is money in it for the food program to support those things.

There is no money in a child having free play or having an imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Parents still have the right and the obligation to seek out whatever care environment they wish for their child but in this ever growing competitive society that we have, you know what that means.
          Sadly.....some parents are fruitloops these days.......

I think sooner or later ALL child care providers will be basically "employed" by the government and that family child care providers who don't meet the upper end of the star rating systems will be shoved into that babysitting category, no matter what they actually do with the kids.
          That would be one of my worst fears.

Not just for myself, but for providers everywhere.

I was somewhat excited about the Parent Aware thing happening, because in some ways I DO want to be recognized for my hard work and effort in going back to school and I want to be recognized for how my program works compared to the lady down the street who believes in many of the old school ways of raising a child (forced PT'ing and the "Clean Plate Club" etc) and still teaches her kids how to count by rote and repeated methods used in the old days that are no longer deemed developmentally appropriate.....kwim?
          This, I get.

But I wish there was a better way to distinguish between the two aside from making it all about early (in an extreme sense) childhood education

I definitely think this is a "the union idea went splat" spin-off deal.

I think the originators thought union organization would be a slam dunk, and now that such a proposal has been largely rejected they are trying to get sneaky about finding other ways to creep in and take over.

What's crazy to me about that is family childcare especially is largely done smack dab in people's homes. How big brother thinks they can come in and trample all over the most private of spaces and closest business relationships capable of being formed (between parents and provider and CHILD and provider) is just beyond my comprehension.

If they find a way to over-regulate that relationship we best get ready for them to start stepping all over the relationships parents have with their own children too.

Comment

It is all about the money. Same goes for the food program. We can feed the kids Corn chips now because there is money in it for the food program to support those things.
            But corn chips totally belong on the food pyramid!

They're a veggie..........right?

I was straight shocked last time my food rep visited and she told me I could feed Lucky Charms at snack time because all General Mills Big G cereals now list whole grain as first ingredient

Even she was disgusted.

Comment

If they find a way to over-regulate that relationship we best get ready for them to start stepping all over the relationships parents have with their own children too.
              In some ways I think they already do...one can not discipline their child by spanking any more. Children have muc..h more power than they used to have. Parents are no longer the ultimate authority.

I have a friend who disciplined her child by spanking (NOT beating him or leaving any marks but a swift swat to the rear for something he deserved it for. He went to his school counselor and said his mom spanked him.

She is still having visits with CPS. and this was almost 2 years ago. She also has a record now. She was charged with anything but you can bet your bottom dollar that every worker in the human services dept knows her family's name now.

Comment

Participation is only optional for now. It WILL be mandatory soon.

I think the people who are trying to unionize child care are using Parent Aware as a tool to get providers to sign up to be unionized. Basically, union reps are telling providers a bunch of negative stuff about the Parent Aware and how it is not ideal, especially for providers who don't have a CDA or a degree and that if they are against it, then they should sign on to be unionized as they are "promising" that they will speak up against the star rating system and be a voice for providers.

Basically the Parent Aware system will give stars to providers based ont heir education, exerience and how they run their programs and then parents will be able to search for the kind of care they want...kwim?

I think giving stars for education and stuff is a bit mis-leading though as it gives the impression that providers withonly one star arent as good as providers with more stars...but I don't think tha tis the case...I think it is just a way to let parents know that this provider does curriculum and assessments etc and this one doesnt. I don't think it actually tells parents that 4 stars is better than 1 but I guess that is all in how parents read and see the program too.

I don't know for sure but from what I have read, I do think it is a good program and have competed my registry and filled out most the forms for enrollment. Now it is just a waiting game to see if I have all my ducks in a row and once my program is assessed, I will receive my star(s).
                As you mentioned, it's based on our Youngstar system. And YES, they are DEFINATELY trying to give parents to the impression that 4 stars is better than 2! You bettcha! Youngstar is being intertwined with EVERYTHING here, even the Early childhood programs at the tech schools.

As for the union, although I have very mixed feelings about the unions in general, I can tell you that I know for a fact that they have indeed had to "go to bat" for quite a few providers against our DCF and in regards to Youngstar.

Our state got wind of MAJOR fraud a few years ago, and unfortunately, they went from zero-to-60 in about 4 seconds. They went from doing almost nothing to going way overboard, sweeping quite a few innocent (but often untrained or undeducated about the way it's supposed to be done) up along with the true fraud committers.

in the interest of full disclosure-my sister was a union rep here for providers, so I have heard the "horror" stories first hand. Our union is voluntary, as it should be, IMO, but the problem is this. Now, because not enough people joined and because of our governer, we as dcp's lost the right to be represented, pretty much. So, unlike Utah, which has a cooperative relationship with it's providers, we have a disfunctional adversarial relationship. It stinks! Providers have NO input, no say, and no voice now. Pretty much, DCF can do whatever they want and we just have to say "yes sir". Like last year, when they decided that FAMILY childcare providers no longer needed to be paid by enrollment, while centers remain enrollment based.

So, although one quality standard on the FCCERS is "the provider arranges for PAID time off" (paraphrased), Wisconsin Shares does not pay for ANY time off (parent, child, or provider). They say "oh, well, the parents just have to pay it".

We've had caseworkers actually TELL potential daycare parents "you cannot afford family childcare".

Personally, I don't really have a problem with the rating system. I do have a problem with the way it's implemented, and I realize it's still new, and there are a lot of bugs to work out. I wish MN would hold it's horses and wait until WI gets it figured out before they jump on that ship, though!

Comment

Sadly.....some parents are fruitloops these days.......

That would be one of my worst fears.

Not just for myself, but for providers everywhere.

This, I get.

But I wish there was a better way to distinguish between the two aside from making it all about early (in an extreme sense) childhood education

I definitely think this is a "the union idea went splat" spin-off deal.

I think the originators thought union organization would be a slam dunk, and now that such a proposal has been largely rejected they are trying to get sneaky about finding other ways to creep in and take over.

What's crazy to me about that is family childcare especially is largely done smack dab in people's homes. How big brother thinks they can come in and trample all over the most private of spaces and closest business relationships capable of being formed (between parents and provider and CHILD and provider) is just beyond my comprehension.

I just want to clarify, in WI the union FOUGHT Youngstar, they are definately NOT in "cahoots"!!!! Even if you want to think they are ALL rotten eggs...they are not rotten eggs from the same chicken!!

Comment

In MI the state would take away the choice of parents as far as what type of care they want for their own children.
                    In order to watch even one child for a period of longer than 2 weeks, you must be licensed. The state has control over every single child care arrangement in MI unless you have a family member watching your child. I think that's wrong as wrong can be

Comment

In MI the state would take away the choice of parents as far as what type of care they want for their own children.
                      In order to watch even one child for a period of longer than 2 weeks, you must be licensed. The state has control over every single child care arrangement in MI unless you have a family member watching your child. I think that's wrong as wrong can be
                      Are Michigan child care providers unionized?

Comment

YoungStar Quality Ratings System Explained

5* Meets highest levels of quality standards

4* Meets elevated levels of quality standards

3* Meets proficient levels of quality standards

2* Meets health and safety standards

1*Does not meet health and safety standards

Comment

I think MN only goes to 4 stars.

Here is the sheet that is used to market the program to parents;http://www.parentawareratings.org/fi...hecklist_0.pdf

Like how they state this last line: "Parent Aware Ratings make it easy to identify and be assured of quality"

Comment

I might get a 3 on something like this and it really saddens me. My state is starting this and I really hope the think about what they are doing.

I have almost 2 decades of experience in my field. A family I have has decided to keep there child with me through kindergarten because they are so impressed with my program. The other two siblings went to a private kindergarten and the parents have chosen me over a private one. They felt their child was actually learning more here.

Another teacher cannot wait till her child is old enough to come here. She is so excited for him to be here. She is a educated teacher and says how much he will learn here from what I offer.

I could go on and on. My personal point is I could have reference letter upon reference letter but it won't do any good. I won't have a degree behind my name but experience. I remember when experience was much better then a degree!
                            Each day is a fresh start
                            Never look back on regrets
                            Live life to the fullest
                            We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                              I might get a 3 on something like this and it really saddens me. My state is starting this and I really hope the think about what they are doing.

I have almost 2 decades of experience in my field. A family I have has decided to keep there child with me through kindergarten because they are so impressed with my program. The other two siblings went to a private kindergarten and the parents have chosen me over a private one. They felt their child was actually learning more here.

Another teacher cannot wait till her child is old enough to come here. She is so excited for him to be here. She is a educated teacher and says how much he will learn here from what I offer.

I could go on and on. My personal point is I could have reference letter upon reference letter but it won't do any good. I won't have a degree behind my name but experience. I remember when experience was much better then a degree!
                              I have not read everything, but Country I agree with you. My sister 9 degrees most of them revolving around education. AND I hate to say this, but she is one of the worst people I have EVER seen work with young children. She is now a principal, which suits her well, but to see her work with young children or even her own...............OH boy.

I have a degree, non-child related but I have 10 years of teaching preschool, 14 years of working with children and 22 years of coaching....Guess I would not rate well either and I have people lined up to get in.........

BUT I do pray and hope that in CA they start something like this soon, because there are some DCs out there that are just basically ruining children..........I know of 3 that are in my town alone......

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                                I have not read everything, but Country I agree with you. My sister 9 degrees most of them revolving around education. AND I hate to say this, but she is one of the worst people I have EVER seen work with young children. She is now a principal, which suits her well, but to see her work with young children or even her own...............OH boy.

I have a degree, non-child related but I have 10 years of teaching preschool, 14 years of working with children and 22 years of coaching....Guess I would not rate well either and I have people lined up to get in.........

BUT I do pray and hope that in CA they start something like this soon, because there are some DCs out there that are just basically ruining children..........I know of 3 that are in my town alone......
                                This (the rating systems) will eventually happen everywhere.

It says here that California is in the "exploring or designing" phase but IS operating within Los Angeles County. http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/elqisqrs32309.asp

Comment

Working...
                                X