Take that Lakeshore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take that Lakeshore!

I'm so excited. You know those pretty little theme boxes that Lakeshore sells for $50 each? Well...I took the idea and ran with it on my limited budget. I bought some cheap containers from Walmart and a shelf from Ikea and got all of my themes organized for this year. Some of the boxes are a bit empty at this point but I figure I will add to them as I go. I'm looking forward to having everything organized and easy to get to this year!

Last edited by Kim; 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM. Reason: adding pics

Originally posted by Kim View Post
    I'm so excited. You know those pretty little theme boxes that Lakeshore sells for $50 each? Well...I took the idea and ran with it on my limited budget. I bought some cheap containers from Walmart and a shelf from Ikea and got all of my themes organized for this year. Some of the boxes are a bit empty at this point but I figure I will add to them as I go. I'm looking forward to having everything organized and easy to get to this year!

that rocks..... I did something along the same lines, but mine is not as organized as yours.

ANd my buckets are HUGE ....

Comment

WOW!! This is SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!

I totally wish I had room for something like this!!

GREAT JOB!!!! happyfacehappyfacehappyfacehappyfacehappyface

Comment

What do you have in your notebooks on the top? Is that the lesson plans that go with the boxes?
        Each day is a fresh start
        Never look back on regrets
        Live life to the fullest
        We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Nice job!!

Feels great to be so organized and not at the hands of a company that costs so much! Woo Hoo!!! to you!! happyface

Comment

I bought those magazine bins from the target dollar spot. they are nice and long so they hold most books. I am now sorting books by theme into them. I need a shelf for them still but I think it will be in my storage room. They ar different colors so I think a sticker in that color on my them box may make things easier to find.

I love those clear bins.( thanks) some of my themes fill my boxes now so I need to add some new empty boxes.
            It:: will wait

Comment

Wow!!! That totally rocks¡

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                that rocks..... I did something along the same lines, but mine is not as organized as yours.

ANd my buckets are HUGE ....
                That's the only thing I'm worried about- I may end up having more to fit in each theme's tub and need bigger tubs eventually and then they won't all fit on the shelves.

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                What do you have in your notebooks on the top? Is that the lesson plans that go with the boxes?
                No, I use the Letter of the Week curriculum and K4 curriculum from Confessions of a Homeschooler. I use a 1" binder for each letter of the alphabet letter. In it I have the LOTW resources and some other things I've gathered over the years. I also have a binder for colors, shapes, math concepts, sight words, assessments, etc. I added a couple pics of the binders.

Originally posted by itlw8 View Post
                I bought those magazine bins from the target dollar spot. they are nice and long so they hold most books. I am now sorting books by theme into them. I need a shelf for them still but I think it will be in my storage room. They ar different colors so I think a sticker in that color on my them box may make things easier to find.

I love those clear bins.( thanks) some of my themes fill my boxes now so I need to add some new empty boxes.
                Books are next on my to do list. Right now they are stuffed into 3 large tubs unsorted. I'm planning on getting one more of these shelves from Ikea and put all the blocks and transportation toys on the bottom shelves and use the top two rows to organize the books. DH just doesn't know that plan yet.
                Last edited by Kim; 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM. Reason: update info- pics added

Comment

Can you share with us how you divide up the year? is it weekly or monthly themes? list of themes and items included in the box? I really love how organized you are and would love to use you as inspiration

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
                    Can you share with us how you divide up the year? is it weekly or monthly themes? list of themes and items included in the box? I really love how organized you are and would love to use you as inspiration
                    Most of the themes I do are weekly. As far as what's in the boxes- it's just things I've collected over the years. I laminate so things last longer. Most boxes have small finger puppets, flannel stories, stickers that go with the theme, little games, leftover supplies from when I used to buy Mother Goose Time each month, etc. Some boxes are still empty

September-
                    All About Me
                    Five Senses
                    Apples
                    Farm

October-
                    Safety- fire, poison, etc.
                    Community Helpers
                    Fall
                    Halloween

November-
                    Family
                    Thanksgiving/Harvest

December-
                    Christmas

January-
                    Happy New Year
                    Winter
                    Health & Nutrition

February-
                    Nursery Rhymes
                    Fairy Tales
                    Valentine’s Day

March-
                    Dr. Seuss
                    Weather
                    St. Patrick’s Day
                    Transportation and Construction

April-
                    Earth Day
                    Spring
                    Happy Easter

May-
                    Life Cycles
                    Mother’s Day
                    Zoo
                    Dinosaurs

I also have a box for summer- beach ball, seashells, luau stuff for our end of year celebration we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                      Most of the themes I do are weekly. As far as what's in the boxes- it's just things I've collected over the years. I laminate so things last longer. Most boxes have small finger puppets, flannel stories, stickers that go with the theme, little games, leftover supplies from when I used to buy Mother Goose Time each month, etc. Some boxes are still empty

September-
                      All About Me
                      Five Senses
                      Apples
                      Farm

October-
                      Safety- fire, poison, etc.
                      Community Helpers
                      Fall
                      Halloween

November-
                      Family
                      Thanksgiving/Harvest

December-
                      Christmas

January-
                      Happy New Year
                      Winter
                      Health & Nutrition

February-
                      Nursery Rhymes
                      Fairy Tales
                      Valentine’s Day

March-
                      Dr. Seuss
                      Weather
                      St. Patrick’s Day
                      Transportation and Construction

April-
                      Earth Day
                      Spring
                      Happy Easter

May-
                      Life Cycles
                      Mother’s Day
                      Zoo
                      Dinosaurs

I also have a box for summer- beach ball, seashells, luau stuff for our end of year celebration we do.
                      I could have written this myself.. we also do a luau at the start of each school year and do very similar themes...

I also used to use MGT....too expensive and too much stuff that I had to do for the kids

Comment

I love the homeschool website, I may add some of that to my own curriculum. Thanks for sharing....great organizing!!

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                          I could have written this myself.. we also do a luau at the start of each school year and do very similar themes...

I also used to use MGT....too expensive and too much stuff that I had to do for the kids
                          Yeah it's nothing unusual LOL! MGT was convenient but it was just too pricey and very cookie cutter-ish!

Originally posted by Oneluckymom View Post
                          I love the homeschool website, I may add some of that to my own curriculum. Thanks for sharing....great organizing!!
                          She has lots on there. It's work to print it and laminate it but once you do it it's done and reusable year after year. I get most of my ideas from blogs and sites like hers! And of course there's pinterest.

Comment

What a neat system! I can only dream of being that organized

Comment

Wow! That looks great!

Comment

Working...
                              X