Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can NOT Believe the Response I Got Back From This Woman!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm the odd man out here, but maybe it's the way it's worded? To me if someone asked me those questions BEFORE I even met the person, I'd be a little taken back also!

Can you leave those questions till the interview? I wouldn't be offended if they were asked in direct conversation where the questions were already back and forth between us, but that's just me!

Comment

Originally posted by Mom&Provider View Post
      I'm the odd man out here, but maybe it's the way it's worded? To me if someone asked me those questions BEFORE I even met the person, I'd be a little taken back also!

Can you leave those questions till the interview? I wouldn't be offended if they were asked in direct conversation where the questions were already back and forth between us, but that's just me!
      I ask them before the interview so as to not waste my time or their time. If they are looking for something I dont do, why interview them? I take so much time preping for an interview that for them to come and say "my last daycare made me pay even when kids didnt come, thats why Im looking for other care" the interview would be over right there because I do charge that way too. KWIM?

And if I hadnt asked the question, I would have not known this woman was the way she is in this case. I ask that question every time and never have I gotten that response. Usually its, "Oh they are moving so we need new dc".

Comment

I dunno. I don't think the question, "What qualities are you looking for in a childcare provider" warrents the response the mom gave. I don't think any of the questions were offensive, other than the question: "If so, why are you looking for a different daycare." And IMHO, the only person that would offend is someone who has something to hide.

Also, you definitely do not want to do business with someone who would respond in an e-mail that way, that's just scary

Comment

I agree with you. In first reading I thought the wording sounded off. YOU were answering her ad, not the other way around. I would have waited to ask those questions, just let her reply to your FIRST email seeing if she was even interested in your daycare and then even asking them in a 2nd email wouldn't have sounded as strange as that does to me. JMHO, take it for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy View Post
            I ask them before the interview so as to not waste my time or their time. If they are looking for something I dont do, why interview them? I take so much time preping for an interview that for them to come and say "my last daycare made me pay even when kids didnt come, thats why Im looking for other care" the interview would be over right there because I do charge that way too. KWIM?

And if I hadnt asked the question, I would have not known this woman was the way she is in this case. I ask that question every time and never have I gotten that response. Usually its, "Oh they are moving so we need new dc".

Makes sense! I guess I haven't had too many interviews yet or bad clients to feel I need to 'clear the air' before they come! I've also only been interviewing spots for 12 month olds (I'm in Canada, mat. leave is 1 yr.), so I know they haven't been anywhere else yet anyway!

Comment

I would probably want to meet you first before answering a whole lot of questions like that; but I certainly would never be rude and feel like I was being 'attacked' should I be asked them. I want to know the facts about the daycare first: business hours, rates, qualifications of provider, play area, play schedule, meals, etc.

I don't think that someone asking your hours is a red flag so they can dump their kids on you. I would ask that simply to see if the daycare fits my working hours. I wouldn't want to proceed wasting my time either with an interview just to find out the hours don't work for me.

I would, however, answer anything you wanted after I felt your daycare fit my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                I agree with you. In first reading I thought the wording sounded off. YOU were answering her ad, not the other way around. I would have waited to ask those questions, just let her reply to your FIRST email seeing if she was even interested in your daycare and then even asking them in a 2nd email wouldn't have sounded as strange as that does to me. JMHO, take it for what its worth.
                I agree with you ladies. I think you asking her those questions were very rude. Why would you ask her why she is leaving her childcare right away, this is a question that should be asked in person when you met with her. Your next question, about ratios, if your advertising a homedaycare, then why are you asking her about centers, thats confusing. Your third question about the qualities in a caregiver, this one is hard to anwer over email because the tone written is never the same as the tone in person.
                Why didn't you ask her for the hours she needs, the days, the amount you charge. Then go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                  I would probably want to meet you first before answering a whole lot of questions like that; but I certainly would never be rude and feel like I was being 'attacked' should I be asked them. I want to know the facts about the daycare first: business hours, rates, qualifications of provider, play area, play schedule, meals, etc.

I don't think that someone asking your hours is a red flag so they can dump their kids on you. I would ask that simply to see if the daycare fits my working hours. I wouldn't want to proceed wasting my time either with an interview just to find out the hours don't work for me.

I would, however, answer anything you wanted after I felt your daycare fit my needs.
                  yes, this too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post

I feel sort of the same way here.....

I would want to know those things too...the facts. I don't think someone asking the hours is a red flag either. Esp if you go on contracted hours. My question would be what hours do you need care for?

I don't like the question of...... Why did you leave your last daycare? Yes it could be a red flag. Really is it my business to know that? Shouldn't I start everyone off on the right positive foot. People make mistakes and don't mesh, we also learn as we have experiences. I do like the question of.......Has your child been in daycare before? This helps me to know how the child will relate to his or her new surroundings.

There was another post I wanted to respond to but never got around to being able too, about Verbal or written communications- (this post made me think of it)

For me I prefer Verbal, but for many a written note is also needed. If I am going to have a conversation, I prefer to do it in Verbal. Text has it's place, but I like it for quick notes to me. I am running late. So and so will not be in today. Can I drop off a few minutes early on such and such a day. Little answers. Texting is wonderful for that. I don't get stuck involved in a what could have been a quick phone call and ends up in a long phone call while I am busy trying to take care of my little crew. I have some friends that have the gift of gab and don't understand I am working- Now for little Joe who went to the DR. and needs to have this med and this course of treatment, and how he is doing, etc.... call me lets talk. Then I will ask bring in the written documentation I need for my records. Simple questions in an email- great. Long details- lets talk.

I agree being Rude serves no purpose. As much as I find the sarcastic comebacks and comments funny. I would not talk that way to my parents- even the worst of them. I can think a lot of things in my head but to actually say them to someone is another story---

Comment

Originally posted by countrymom View Post
                      I agree with you ladies. I think you asking her those questions were very rude. Why would you ask her why she is leaving her childcare right away, this is a question that should be asked in person when you met with her. Your next question, about ratios, if your advertising a homedaycare, then why are you asking her about centers, thats confusing. Your third question about the qualities in a caregiver, this one is hard to anwer over email because the tone written is never the same as the tone in person.
                      Why didn't you ask her for the hours she needs, the days, the amount you charge. Then go from there.
                      I already knew all those things because of what was written in her ad. Which is another reason for the question. Maybe the previous provider wouldnt accomodate her hours. I dont think I was rude at all. Nor have any of the other people that I have asked the questions.

As for the other questions, if she is looking for an enviornment where there are lots of kids for interaction thats not here. She needed immediate care. The other normal quesions wereanswered in her original ad no need to revisit that. As were the rates she was willing to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by My3cents View Post
                        I feel sort of the same way here.....

I would want to know those things too...the facts. I don't think someone asking the hours is a red flag either. Esp if you go on contracted hours. My question would be what hours do you need care for?

I don't like the question of...... Why did you leave your last daycare? Yes it could be a red flag. Really is it my business to know that? Shouldn't I start everyone off on the right positive foot. People make mistakes and don't mesh, we also learn as we have experiences. I do like the question of.......Has your child been in daycare before? This helps me to know how the child will relate to his or her new surroundings.

There was another post I wanted to respond to but never got around to being able too, about Verbal or written communications- (this post made me think of it)

For me I prefer Verbal, but for many a written note is also needed. If I am going to have a conversation, I prefer to do it in Verbal. Text has it's place, but I like it for quick notes to me. I am running late. So and so will not be in today. Can I drop off a few minutes early on such and such a day. Little answers. Texting is wonderful for that. I don't get stuck involved in a what could have been a quick phone call and ends up in a long phone call while I am busy trying to take care of my little crew. I have some friends that have the gift of gab and don't understand I am working- Now for little Joe who went to the DR. and needs to have this med and this course of treatment, and how he is doing, etc.... call me lets talk. Then I will ask bring in the written documentation I need for my records. Simple questions in an email- great. Long details- lets talk.

I agree being Rude serves no purpose. As much as I find the sarcastic comebacks and comments funny. I would not talk that way to my parents- even the worst of them. I can think a lot of things in my head but to actually say them to someone is another story---
                        Yes it is my business. It helps me to know a lot about the parents. I have had tons of bad experiences with the people in this part of town.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy View Post
                          I already knew all those things because of what was written in her ad. Which is another reason for the question. Maybe the previous provider wouldnt accomodate her hours. I dont think I was rude at all. Nor have any of the other people that I have asked the questions.

As for the other questions, if she is looking for an enviornment where there are lots of kids for interaction thats not here. She needed immediate care. The other normal quesions wereanswered in her original ad no need to revisit that. As were the rates she was willing to pay.
                          I wouldn't say you were being rude, but the thing was SHE did not come to you looking for care before you asked those questions. YOU went to her saying you provide daycare. Just that little thing makes a difference to me. I just think you should have waited for "the next step" before asking leading questions like that. I could see asking about the hours she needed, etc. if they weren't in her original ad but you jumped right to the interview questions. I think in written form when she wasn't seeking you out initially those questions may come across as rude/harsh.

Comment

Well, I will keep it in mind for next time. I usually don't contact people for child care so this is the first time I have ever asked the questions to someone I have e-mailed.

I still think her answer was uncalled for!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                              I wouldn't say you were being rude, but the thing was SHE did not come to you looking for care before you asked those questions. YOU went to her saying you provide daycare. Just that little thing makes a difference to me. I just think you should have waited for "the next step" before asking leading questions like that. I could see asking about the hours she needed, etc. if they weren't in her original ad but you jumped right to the interview questions. I think in written form when she wasn't seeking you out initially those questions may come across as rude/harsh.
                              I wouldn't have considered that, but I think you're on to something.
                              Good things to think about for future interactions.

Crazy response, though, on her part!

Comment

If you're unfamiliar with why provider's ask questions of the parents they might not understand they are getting interviewed so down the road they'll understand. I personally don't ask all those questions in my first email. I think it's best to spread it out over 2-3 emails which should all occur overnight or within 1-2 days.

I read the questions and the wording was a little different than what I would prefer to read myself. I normally open questions with "Has your child ever attended daycare before? If so, how was that experience for you?" That is what I limit my first emails to because parents write back and are interested that I'm interested in them and they also return with details and questions of me to add a second email easily.

I also like to end my emails with a nice short mention of something weather related or current that anyone could relate too like "Enjoy this warm weather!" or even simply "Have a nice weekend!" LOL It's just polite.

Comment

Working...
                                X