3 Year Old Can't Put Own Shoes On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
    It's only Wednesday and you're taking all the fun out of it.
    Sorry. Some posts are just so rude I have to speak up.
    I fell for it, too.

Comment

I had a 9 year old in my care that couldn't tie his own shoes...

Comment

As long as there's nothing sharp outside like broken glass or sharp stones, I'd send him out to play barefoot. I'm guessing since the issue is putting his shoes on to play outside, he is either barefoot or wearing socks, so his choices are (1) put shoes on, (2) take socks off, or if no socks, (3) go play without shoes. Most kids feet are tough enough to play outside barefoot (unless there are wood chips, they can get splinters in their feet!).

Only yesterday my 4yo daughter complained about her new sandals hurting her feet. My response was "take them off" and I put them in the shopping cart. She was again happy. It only takes a minute with moist wipes to clean the bottoms of her feet and toes when we get home.

Comment

I work with 4 year olds and we have told them if they cannot put their shoes back on they must keep them on during nap time. We don't require them to have to be able to tie their shoes but they have to be able to put them on. Some of the kids in my class know how to tie and they are often willing to help their classmates.

Comment

Originally posted by spud912 View Post
            My 18 month old has been putting shoes on by herself for 3 months now!
            I had one that was the same way... he just aged out but knew how to get his jacket on & zipped also; my 13 month old db is trying to put on his coat like his 3 year old sister (lay on the floor & flip it over the head style). It's so fun to watch damn caught on an old post

Comment

Originally posted by permanentvacation View Post
              Personally, I believe many parents should be 'let go' of their rights to be parents. Too many parents nowadays don't want to do ANYTHING to/with/for/ or about their children. Many parents want us to provide breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner! They don't ever even want to feed their children! They also want us to teach their children everything. My sister even had a daycare child who got picked up from her daycare every night at 6:30 pm and her mother wanted my sister to give the child dinner and than a BATH too! She didn't even want to have to bathe her child! I have literally told a couple of people that they should just give me child support and leave their child here for me to raise and they can stop by when and if they like to visit their child!

So many parents of this generation have absolutely no interest in being a parent! Now wonder us daycare providers have such a hard time with so many of the kids. So many children have no parental guidance at all at home. Many children are allowed to do anything they want as long as they don't 'bother' the adult in the home.

No wonder us providers struggle so much to get the kids to do things they should be able to do with no problems. Their parents don't teach them or guide them, they in-able them by doing everything for them so their children will get out of their hair faster. However, us providers know that the child should be quite capable of doing certain tasks and we care enough to take the time to work with them, teach them how to do things, and then don't allow the child to give up on him/herself while working to be successful at accomplishing their new goals. By doing so, we providers are helping the children gain self-respect, sense of self-worth, confidence, and pride. However, the parents who don't do so are teaching their child that they are incapable of learning, lowering their self-respect, sense of self-worth, confidence, and pride.

So, no, us providers shouldn't be 'let go', we should be thanked and appreciated for taking the time to teach, love, feed, bathe (in some cases), build the self-esteem of, etc. your children that so many parents can't be bothered with.
              I know this is an old thread, but this made me LOL literally. Sadly, it's true for some parents/kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna88 View Post
                As long as there's nothing sharp outside like broken glass or sharp stones, I'd send him out to play barefoot. I'm guessing since the issue is putting his shoes on to play outside, he is either barefoot or wearing socks, so his choices are (1) put shoes on, (2) take socks off, or if no socks, (3) go play without shoes. Most kids feet are tough enough to play outside barefoot (unless there are wood chips, they can get splinters in their feet!).

Only yesterday my 4yo daughter complained about her new sandals hurting her feet. My response was "take them off" and I put them in the shopping cart. She was again happy. It only takes a minute with moist wipes to clean the bottoms of her feet and toes when we get home.
                Im Sorry but I think it's so gross when I see children walking around public places barefoot. There could be so many different things on the ground that can make the child sick!

Comment

Working...
                X