Baby Food For Toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Food For Toddler

If one more person,feeds their two year old that squeezable fruit and vegetable crap!
    I'm poing to lose it!!!
    That's great and all that their getting fruits and veggies but it's still baby food.
    If you've never changed a kids diapers after let me tell you -it's DISGUSTING!!!

I do a lot of pureed or blended stews for my crew and they LOVE it. I have an eight year old special needs child visiting this week who is quite underweight and she has CHOWED the blended stews. She got veggies in her she didn't even know existed.

I haven't seen any poop issues with it. I don't know about squeze food but blended stews, fruits, and veggies are a top ticket at my house. We are having a chicken and veggie with rice stew today and I'll zip it thru the processor before serving. They will gobble it down. The rice I use is a heftier whole grain rice and serving it by itself is a bit too chewey for the kids. Blending it in home made chicken broth is enough to get the kids to really like it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
      I do a lot of pureed or blended stews for my crew and they LOVE it. I have an eight year old special needs child visiting this week who is quite underweight and she has CHOWED the blended stews. She got veggies in her she didn't even know existed.

I haven't seen any poop issues with it. I don't know about squeze food but blended stews, fruits, and veggies are a top ticket at my house. We are having a chicken and veggie with rice stew today and I'll zip it thru the processor before serving. They will gobble it down. The rice I use is a heftier whole grain rice and serving it by itself is a bit too chewey for the kids. Blending it in home made chicken broth is enough to get the kids to really like it.
      Nan, not to sound weird or any thing but since you do a lot of pureed things for meals at your house, I am curious as to what they look like when you serve it to the kids.

For example, you mentioned a whole grain rice but it is too chewy for the littler ones to eat so what does it look like when you do serve it?

Could you post a picture or do you have them on your DC site?

I would LOVE to feed my littler ones things like that but I am always concerned about their ability to chew those types of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Nan, not to sound weird or any thing but since you do a lot of pureed things for meals at your house, I am curious as to what they look like when you serve it to the kids.

For example, you mentioned a whole grain rice but it is too chewy for the littler ones to eat so what does it look like when you do serve it?

Could you post a picture or do you have them on your DC site?

I would LOVE to feed my littler ones things like that but I am always concerned about their ability to chew those types of things.
        Like clam chowder... that's the consistency.

You would be really surprised how many kids just don't like the texture of food but love the flavor. Even my eleven year olds likes some blended foods. We use them for meals and for dipping.

I had WDMMOM's seven year here last summer for a few days and she kept telling me she doesn't like peas or squash so I made a blended pea soup with squash and ham and she GOBBLED it down. Didn't mention what it WAS until she was walking out the door. he he he fixed her little wagon.
        Sure I'll post some pictures.
        Last edited by nannyde; 03-15-2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

What is the purpose of pureed food if you don't mind me asking? Just to sneak in the fruits and vegetables? I don't serve smashed or pureed food,except for soups. I think after a certain age they just need to learn how to chew their food. I'm sure there are some benefits to serving it(less choking hazard,exposure to foods they normally wouldn't try) I'm just not a fan of squeezing stuff out of a packet.Lol I guess it's the new trend! Oh great!

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
            I had WDMMOM's seven year here last summer for a few days and she kept telling me she doesn't like peas or squash so I made a blended pea soup with squash and ham and she GOBBLED it down. Didn't mention what it WAS until she was walking out the door. he he he fixed her little wagon.
            Sure I'll post some pictures.
            that's awesome!!

That is partially the whole reason why I want to start doing some pureed things. I am tired of the kids not getting all the nutrients they should be getting so I thought I could start squeezing some "good" stuff without them catching on.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              What is the purpose of pureed food if you don't mind me asking? Just to sneak in the fruits and vegetables? I don't serve smashed or pureed food,except for soups. I think after a certain age they just need to learn how to chew their food. I'm sure there are some benefits to serving it(less choking hazard,exposure to foods they normally wouldn't try) I'm just not a fan of squeezing stuff out of a packet.Lol I guess it's the new trend! Oh great!
              No purpose really other than the kids really like it and you can get them to enjoy a wide variety of different flavors by gradually introducing it to their taste buds thru established foods they already like.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                If one more person,feeds their two year old that squeezable fruit and vegetable crap!
                I'm poing to lose it!!!
                That's great and all that their getting fruits and veggies but it's still baby food.
                If you've never changed a kids diapers after let me tell you -it's DISGUSTING!!!
                Those packaged squish tubes are disgusting and not even remotely healthy. Since they say "fruit" or "vegetable" on them they must be healthy.....right? I liked to squash up children's food when they were little but that is not even close to the sludge in those tubes..

Comment

No flaming me, but once every week or two, my family and I (NOT dck's) will eat out at a restaurant or fast food chain. I will pack my 1 and 3 year old the applesauce (no sugar added, all natural) pouches. They "drink" it directly out of the pouches. That way, I feel like they are get something nutritious in their meal. I think it tastes just like regular applesauce and there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would not buy them for dck's because they are outrageously expensive.

I see nothing wrong with adding homemade pureed fruits and veggies into things. I also see nothing wrong with providing applesauce (store-bought or homemade) or other pureed foods (homemade) to older children as long as they feed themselves. All people should eat a variety of textures (smooth, chunky, chewy, etc.)

Comment

I know what you mean. I keep staring at it when we go to the store, like seriously how hard is it to cook something and puree it. I'm not big into processed baby food.

Comment

I have given my ds those pouches recently as he was sick and wouldnt eat anything solid and i needed to get something in his tummy.

Comment

You shouldn't be so judgemental....

I give my own kids those fruit squeeze pouches. The only ingredients in the ones I give them are apples and cinnamon. How is that any different than feeding them applesauce from a jar or even homemade for that matter? You know what the difference is? They actually eat it! The purpose, for me, is to get some fruit into them. My boys will eat a variety of fruits, but my daughter (19 months) is picky, but LOVES the applesauce pouches. She also loves yogurt, and SALAD. My kids eat a variety of healthy foods, including the pouches. The pouches are used for snacks, and I'd MUCH rather have them suck some applesauce from a pouch than eat a bag of chips. Point is, there are worse foods they could be consuming. I wish I could figure out a way to make my own refillable pouches for fruits and veggies, I'd give them to my kids, anytime! As far as poops go...I haven't noticed any changes. Some kids are more sensitive to certain foods, but I don't think it would make a difference if they ate that food from a pouch or homemade.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaNik View Post
                          I give my own kids those fruit squeeze pouches. The only ingredients in the ones I give them are apples and cinnamon. How is that any different than feeding them applesauce from a jar or even homemade for that matter? You know what the difference is? They actually eat it! The purpose, for me, is to get some fruit into them. My boys will eat a variety of fruits, but my daughter (19 months) is picky, but LOVES the applesauce pouches. She also loves yogurt, and SALAD. My kids eat a variety of healthy foods, including the pouches. The pouches are used for snacks, and I'd MUCH rather have them suck some applesauce from a pouch than eat a bag of chips. Point is, there are worse foods they could be consuming. I wish I could figure out a way to make my own refillable pouches for fruits and veggies, I'd give them to my kids, anytime! As far as poops go...I haven't noticed any changes. Some kids are more sensitive to certain foods, but I don't think it would make a difference if they ate that food from a pouch or homemade.
                          I was wondering the same thing. The ingredients list only fruits or vegetables, so no gross additives...is it the way its processed? I'll have to look it up...

Comment

Too bad they dont sell little pouches we could reuse. We all know kids will eat foods from different containers sometimes!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              that's awesome!!

That is partially the whole reason why I want to start doing some pureed things. I am tired of the kids not getting all the nutrients they should be getting so I thought I could start squeezing some "good" stuff without them catching on.

Chicken with red rice stew with carrots and kale.

Ghiradelli chocolate banana bread for desert

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=151615534 happyface

Comment

Working...
                              X