Not Sorry To See Her Go.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bunnyslippers View Post
    It is sooooo difficult to teach 20 kids and love them all the same. I had a TERRIBLE time naming my two boys, because so many names reminded me of kids I couldn't stand over the years.

Celebrate Angelica's departure tonight! Go out to dinner and breathe a sigh of relief!
    I totally know what you mean and between myself and a few other teacher friends there are several names that are just a no go for future kids, ...

I taught prek for six years and i have only had one kid that I truly struggled with as far as liking/tolerating/treating the same as the rest and it was bc he was just spoiled, mean, and would look at you like "yah, so what? what are you going to do about it?" as he threw books and toys across my class, bullied the other kids, punched the thermostat box, shoved an entire shelf across the library and much more! The thing with him was, I had way worse behaviors from other kids..way worse, but you could tell they had no control and would just boil over and escalate, freak out, you name it..but he knew exactly what he was doing and he knew better!

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyslippers View Post
      I had a TERRIBLE time naming my two boys, because so many names reminded me of kids I couldn't stand over the years.
      ::::::::::
      http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by countrymom View Post
        don't ever wonder how teachers do it. Imagine 20 kids in a class, there is no way they like all of them, they tolerate them, they do their job, treat them like everyone else and when they leave I bet you that they do the happy dance.
        As an 11 year teaching veteran, I can attest to the fact that teachers have their favorites and least favorites, but you would never know it going into a good teacher's classroom of 30-35 elementary kids! Gotta love the overcrowded schools of Oregon.

Comment

Meeko....it's not bad of you to feel that way. I think, especially for those of us who have been at this for more than a decade, we all have had a child or two who we didn't/don't "like"

It's just like with adults.....we don't automatically like everyone.....

I've had "that kid" before too, and I tell ya, the dynamics of my entire program changed the day he left. Seems even the other kids were stressed out by him and were all able to breathe a little easier once he left. He's the ONLY kid ever that I didn't cry the day he left......kinda sad because his Mom noticed....they were with me for years and saw how I reacted when others moved on.....but this kid, I couldn't even fake it with

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
            Today is the last day for one of my dcg's. She's 6 and has been with me since she was 2 months old.

I've had many kids over the years who have with me after lot shorter time and I have broken my heart when they left. Not this one.

It's been hard for me to describe her...but my husband hit the nail on the head.

Think of Angelica from Rugrats. She lives and breathes in my day care.

Her mother spoils her dreadfully. She is catty, selfish, spiteful, manipulative, demanding and just plain nasty. Not the nicest way to describe a 6 year old, but I can't pretend that I see any endearing qualities in the child.

I have tried to teach her manners and to be nice etc...all useless.

Her mother drives me crazy too. She'll whine about payment (most of which is paid by the state) and how hard up she is and yet the child comes almost daily with new clothes and is always boasting about her latest toy. If anyone brings something for show and tell (Friday afternoons), that she doesn't have...she is horrible to that person for the rest of the day (as if they have no right to have anything she doesn't have) and then usually shows up the next show and tell day with the same toy that she has insisted her mother buy her. It's sickening.

I know the relatives of the girl and they refuse to ever tend her because she treats her own cousins like dirt....just like Angelica!!!

She is leaving because of school problems. Like most kids who go here from birth through school, her mother made special arrangements so she could attend the local school and go back and forth on the bus, which picks up and drops off outside my back gate. She should actually be in another school district.

Mom has "problems" getting up in the mornings (she lost her job over this and has gone back to school and the state is now paying most of her day care) and the child has been late for school more often than not or hasn't even gone. Mom will drop her off here at 3:30PM (after school hours), tell me she needs to study....and picks her up at 6PM when I close.

Well, the school finally had enough, told her she was taking up a spot that could go to a child who actually lived in the area and told her she was no longer welcome.

Sooooo.....as she lives about 15 miles away, coming here for day care is no longer practical.

Sorry for being so long winded....the bottom line is, I am not sad to see this child go. The other kids LOVE it when she's not here and so do I. I feel bad for saying that and have tried to like her, but she's a very unlikable child and I am not the only one as even her relatives can't stand to be around her!

Am I a horrible person because I will be faking the "sad" goodbye tonight????
            No you are not, I would breathe a sigh of relief as well. You kept her this long so I say a huge KUDOS to you for that alone!!! Heck a round of applause for you even! I have a very hard time dealing with children like that and I couldn't stand Angelica for the record

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
              I bet next week is going to be so peaceful....
              ITA!! I bet on show and tell Friday you will sit back and think of just how wonderful this really is and SMILE!

Comment

I'm sick at the moment...had to go to the emergency room for a breathing treatment last night as my chest was so tight and I coughed hard enough to make my nose bleed. Hubby and son are taking on most of the day care load today, I'm just here doing paperwork and surfing!!

My sugar levels are out of whack (type 2 diabetes), my blood pressure is high and my hormones are all over the place (angry menopause due to hysterectomy a few years ago.)

I won't cry tonight when she leaves, but I'm having a good emotional cry reading the replies right now!!!!! Thanks for the support...love ya all!

PS...Hubby said to me "those gals are awesome, aren't they?"

You sure are!

Comment

Originally posted by countrymom View Post
                  don't ever wonder how teachers do it. Imagine 20 kids in a class, there is no way they like all of them, they tolerate them, they do their job, treat them like everyone else and when they leave I bet you that they do the happy dance.
                  We're group and I have 16 at any given time!

Comment

We're group and I have 16 at any given time!
                    Do you have helpers all the time. I think that is what helps immensly with groups like that too. My son has 32 in his class-4th grade and there is no helper-just the teacher-. Then when I hear people say something about her I just want to say, when was the last time you went in and volunteered some time so she can teach and not have to be refereeing all the time!
                    Each day is a fresh start
                    Never look back on regrets
                    Live life to the fullest
                    We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Honestly, if she is as you describe, and you DID cry tears of sadness at her departure, then I would worry about you .

My older sister was an Angelica and my parents put her in beauty pageants (think Toddlers in Tiaras) to boot so you can imagine what my childhood was like.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                        Do you have helpers all the time. I think that is what helps immensly with groups like that too. My son has 32 in his class-4th grade and there is no helper-just the teacher-. Then when I hear people say something about her I just want to say, when was the last time you went in and volunteered some time so she can teach and not have to be refereeing all the time!
                        My husband, son and daughter all help. there is always at least two of us.

Comment

I hope you feel better soon.

Don't feel guilty about "Angelica". We're all human. There are personalities we click with and others... not so much. Like so many said, as long as you treated her well while she was in your care, you have nothing to feel bad about.

I've loved most of the kids in my care but there have been a few who made me feel a sense of relief once they left my home for the last time. Usually once they get old enough to develop a fresh mouth, aggressive, destructive behavior.....I'm over it. Can't wait for that type of kid to leave.

Comment

Don't feel bad. Just think about how peaceful everything is going to be starting Monday. I have 3 kids just like that, 1 Angelica and 2 Angelos. And one of the Angelos is ALWAYS there. Just like everybody else, I just smile and go on with my day.

Just sit back with a glass of wine and good movie and enjoy yourself.

Comment

While we all do our best to treat each child the same, they ARE different and thus you have to treat them differently.

There are some that you will ask to "please" do something and they will respond. There are others that you TELL to do something because you know that asking please means nothing to them.

We cannot mesh with every personality. We are all different.

It's sad that she's spoiled to the point of being obnoxious. Unfortunately there are many like her. They are setting her up for a big fall - I hope she isn't hurt badly by it.

No need to put on a fake sad face. Smile and be happy for her that she will be going to a new school - how exciting! happyface

Comment

Today is the last day for one of my dcg's. She's 6 and has been with me since she was 2 months old.

I've had many kids over the years who have with me after lot shorter time and I have broken my heart when they left. Not this one.

It's been hard for me to describe her...but my husband hit the nail on the head.

Think of Angelica from Rugrats. She lives and breathes in my day care.

Her mother spoils her dreadfully. She is catty, selfish, spiteful, manipulative, demanding and just plain nasty. Not the nicest way to describe a 6 year old, but I can't pretend that I see any endearing qualities in the child.

I have tried to teach her manners and to be nice etc...all useless.

Her mother drives me crazy too. She'll whine about payment (most of which is paid by the state) and how hard up she is and yet the child comes almost daily with new clothes and is always boasting about her latest toy. If anyone brings something for show and tell (Friday afternoons), that she doesn't have...she is horrible to that person for the rest of the day (as if they have no right to have anything she doesn't have) and then usually shows up the next show and tell day with the same toy that she has insisted her mother buy her. It's sickening.

I know the relatives of the girl and they refuse to ever tend her because she treats her own cousins like dirt....just like Angelica!!!

She is leaving because of school problems. Like most kids who go here from birth through school, her mother made special arrangements so she could attend the local school and go back and forth on the bus, which picks up and drops off outside my back gate. She should actually be in another school district.

Mom has "problems" getting up in the mornings (she lost her job over this and has gone back to school and the state is now paying most of her day care) and the child has been late for school more often than not or hasn't even gone. Mom will drop her off here at 3:30PM (after school hours), tell me she needs to study....and picks her up at 6PM when I close.

Well, the school finally had enough, told her she was taking up a spot that could go to a child who actually lived in the area and told her she was no longer welcome.

Sooooo.....as she lives about 15 miles away, coming here for day care is no longer practical.

Sorry for being so long winded....the bottom line is, I am not sad to see this child go. The other kids LOVE it when she's not here and so do I. I feel bad for saying that and have tried to like her, but she's a very unlikable child and I am not the only one as even her relatives can't stand to be around her!

Am I a horrible person because I will be faking the "sad" goodbye tonight????

Sounds to me like you are a pretty wonderful person -- you have worked with her for a long time, obviously without her knowing your feelings. To me that is true professionalism.

Comment

Working...
                                X