Sucking the Fun Out of Christmas!!! What to Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say...

I'm sorry, but we have fun with the holidays here. Our main focus is not on "santa" it is on the joy of the holidays. Santa may or may not be brought up during the day and I hope you will bare with us during this exciting time in every child's life.

Then I would send home a bunch of santa crafts. LOL!!!

Comment

I would let her know that if Santa projects or discussions come up, her child will be separated from the group in accordance with her beliefs and they will be given an alternative craft or activity to do. you will not tailor the groups activities for one child.

Comment

I too don't focus on any of the religious aspects of the holidays primarily because I am not Christian in any way like most of my clients have been. Religion (in my opinion) is something for the parents to teach their kids not me. I too focus on winter. This year I got FunShine express curriculum and am ignoring most of their holiday stuff as we don't do Christmas here. We do celebrate though. I made a holiday and called it Children's Day. I get/give gifts on Children's Day to all the kids and parents. We spend most of December decorating for Children's Day and I tell them all that it's because they are the light in our world. We celebrate them more in the dark months because they light our world and we forget about the darkness when they are happy and celebrating. They do this all year but in the winter we see it more and spend the time to truly relish it. FunShine Express sends out a book in each curriculum pack and I love the one for December. It takes the song Jingle Bells and elaborates to explain how children celebrate all around the world. I will make one change as I read it by changing the word Christmas to Winter to be more accepting of other beliefs. Santa is one thing I've never excluded because he is a believed in by many cultures and is non-religious. (St. Nick is not the only Santa out there.)
        Celebrate! ::

Comment

Well, I feel sorry for this little boy who asked about Santa to their parents. I can understand they don't want to lie him about it but they shouldn't say, "well the Santa is not real" and it sounds harsh. My 9 year old daughter who still believes in Santa. Last year or two, she told me some of them told my daughter that santa is not real. I asked well what do you think and she said I still believe in Santa. I told her it is fine for you to believe in Santa and don't listen to your friends who don't believe in Santa. At least, I was honest with her and it is her choice. I don't want to tell her, honey, yes, it is not real. It will crush her if she found out it is not real. I want her found out on her own like I did. I found out Santa was not real when I was 10 years old when I caught my parents put presents under the tree after midnight. t doesn't crush me and I accept it.

If his mother dont want do it then don't bring him in that day if you are doing Santa things with other kids. It isn't fair to other kids who still believe in Santa.

Comment

I am going to do the usual Christmas stuff this year but will be adding some Kwanza and Hanukkah decorations as well. These three represent the major Religious Holidays celebrated in my community.

My DCK's are all 3 and under so mostly we will read story books and see images depicting families celebrating together. Nothing "threatening" to parents beliefs, at least I hope they see it that way.

I am doing this with my own children as well. They each have been asking about their friends religions so it will be the perfect opportunity to make their worlds and minds a bit bigger.

I'd like to add more as I go, but first I have to educate myself more.... It has been really interesting talking to my kids about things they have found out from their research.
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
              I do not have a religious program here at my daycare/preschool.

I teach my focus on winter, Snow, winter animals, and the commercial side of Christmas.

So today DCM walks in and says "We are not doing Santa"!!!!!!!

Ok, please explain what you mean...

DCM goes on to tell me that her son is asking questions about Santa this year and that DCD and her do not feel it is right to LIE to their child about Santa. They don't want to make something up that is not real and then ask their child to believe in it....... This is the only American custom I know and I will teach this to my child....

Sooooooo.. NOW what???????????? I didnt really know what to say. I thought I was in the clear with avoiding the religious side of it, but guess not

What do all of you do?
              I tell them upfront when I go over the handbook that we celebrate the major holidays and the characters therin. I say we are a christian family and do belive in Jesus and God but do not preach it. I point out that I have some crosses, items with phrases of God and Jesus. I also point out that we also celbrate each childs birthday. I ask if they have any questions.

I suggest putting somthing like that in your handbook for future reference and to end future possible problems. Something like this... we celebrate the major holidays and the characters therin. Cant recall exactly what mine says but it's like that.

As for now I would tell her she didn't have a problem in the past and your beliefs haven't changed and won't change. Then offer her December off.

Good luck with this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                I am going to do the usual Christmas stuff this year but will be adding some Kwanza and Hanukkah decorations as well. These three represent the major Religious Holidays celebrated in my community.

My DCK's are all 3 and under so mostly we will read story books and see images depicting families celebrating together. Nothing "threatening" to parents beliefs, at least I hope they see it that way.

I am doing this with my own children as well. They each have been asking about their friends religions so it will be the perfect opportunity to make their worlds and minds a bit bigger.

I'd like to add more as I go, but first I have to educate myself more.... It has been really interesting talking to my kids about things they have found out from their research.
                I like this. I've been thinking of picking up some of the Hanukkah kids books, decorations and some gelt that I keep seeing out at Kroger. I would LOVE to start celebrating more of the winter holidays with my kids and family.

I've started doing some simple lapbooks with my DD and the little kids want to do them too, and I think that a "Winter Celebration" study would be perfect for December.

I feel a Target trip coming up...
                Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

My center belongs to a Baptist Church, so while we don't run a "religious" program, we are free to teach about and incorporate elements of God and spirituality in our curriculums.

I don't focus on any pagan or commercial "characters" associated with holidays...Santa, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, Halloween. I don't discourage the children from talking about it or even talking to me about it, but I don't teach it, read books about or do activities on it.

My "Christmas" curriculum will focus on winter, giving/friendship/family, yuletide traditions and the Christian meaning of Christmas. I'm even going to stick some Kwanzaa in there.

I understand her rejection of Santa for her child. But that's my own personal opinion.

However, whatever activities/lessons you want to teach is your prerogative. You shouldn't have to change it to accommodate one child, especially one who has been with you several years, and whose parent knows what your curriculum is. She basically said to you "I demand special from you".

Its her responsibility to educate her child. She doesn't have to do Santa, but she can't tell you that you can't. I'd just tell her that the curriculum has already been planned out, and you'll TRY to provide him with alternative activities during the time you guys are doing Santa stuff.

Comment

I just really like this. THought I'd share :P
                    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                      I do not have a religious program here at my daycare/preschool.

I teach my focus on winter, Snow, winter animals, and the commercial side of Christmas.

So today DCM walks in and says "We are not doing Santa"!!!!!!!

Ok, please explain what you mean...

DCM goes on to tell me that her son is asking questions about Santa this year and that DCD and her do not feel it is right to LIE to their child about Santa. They don't want to make something up that is not real and then ask their child to believe in it....... This is the only American custom I know and I will teach this to my child....

Sooooooo.. NOW what???????????? I didnt really know what to say. I thought I was in the clear with avoiding the religious side of it, but guess not

What do all of you do?
                      You proceed as usual. Her child is how old? 3? 4? If she chooses to throw out the Santa crafts, it's on her.

You can give her your calendar and she can pick and choose which days she sends her child. She may wish to avoid the day with Santa. Whatever.

I don't stress "Santa" in my household but my son still believes in him. In fact, he's only been to see Santa and sit on his lap, etc. once in his life. The local Fire Company makes a round with Santa waving from the Fire Truck every year. That's as much Santa he gets.

I still wrap presents from us and from Santa.

While I think the letter on the link above is nice, I think it's beyond the comprehension of a child that is still questioning.

I think the Public Schools have gone overboard as usual with trying to be politically correct when it comes to this season. My son brings home Gingerbread men, Menorahs and Kwanzaii projects. I smile and put them on my fridge but deep inside I say to myself, "Where is the Nativity?".

That's why I bring him to Church so that he can learn about the true meaning of the season for us.

To each his/her own.

Comment

There is a great book out there that maybe you could tell the parents about. It explains the story behind St. Nicholas and the truth with that story. It's a great Christian story for kids.

It's called...

Santa are You For Real?

I don't know why it's so expensive on amazon (I paid $12 a few years ago) but you can read some of the reviews here about it.

So it doesn't take away all the magic and puts a little bit of truth behind the concept.

Comment

Your home, your daycare, your choice. Politely let the mother know that you've chosen to celebrate Christmas and your children (at least your little one) believe in Santa Claus and your not changing that at this time.

Her child, her home, her decisions. Have they chosen to not celebrate Christmas or just the commercialization?

And for those who are celebrating but calling it another name, you are still celebrating Christmas and the gift giving. That reminds me of the local churches that do not celebrate Halloween, but have a Harvest Festival instead. They have big carnivals with costumes and candy on Oct 31. They can call it what they want, but they're still celebrating Halloween.

Comment

History of Santa

Santa Claus - Wikipedia

Jolly ol' St. Nick has been interpreted in many forms, from many different cultures and has a rather long history based on folklore. Most of the lore is based on a real person, however! Here is the version of which most Western Cultures derive Santa from:

Originally posted by Wikipedia

Saint Nicholas

A medieval fresco depicting St Nicholas from the Boyana Church, near Sofia, Bulgaria

Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Sinterklaas. He was a 4th century Greek Christian bishop of Myra (now Demre) in Lycia, a province of the Byzantine Anatolia, now in Turkey. Nicholas was famous for his generous gifts to the poor, in particular presenting the three impoverished daughters of a pious Christian with dowries so that they would not have to become prostitutes.[8] He was very religious from an early age and devoted his life entirely to Christianity. In Europe (more precisely the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Germany) he is still portrayed as a bearded bishop in canonical robes. In 1087, the Italian city of Bari, wanting to enter the profitable pilgrimage industry of the times, mounted an expedition to locate the tomb of the Christian Saint and procure his remains. The reliquary of St. Nicholas was desecrated by Italian sailors and the spoils, including his relics, taken to Bari[9][10] where they are kept to this day. A basilica was constructed the same year to store the loot and the area became a pilgrimage site for the devout, thus justifying the economic cost of the expedition. Saint Nicholas was later claimed as a patron saint of many diverse groups, from archers, sailors, and children to pawnbrokers.[8][11] He is also the patron saint of both Amsterdam and Moscow.[12]

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
                              Your home, your daycare, your choice. Politely let the mother know that you've chosen to celebrate Christmas and your children (at least your little one) believe in Santa Claus and your not changing that at this time.

Her child, her home, her decisions. Have they chosen to not celebrate Christmas or just the commercialization?

And for those who are celebrating but calling it another name, you are still celebrating Christmas and the gift giving. That reminds me of the local churches that do not celebrate Halloween, but have a Harvest Festival instead. They have big carnivals with costumes and candy on Oct 31. They can call it what they want, but they're still celebrating Halloween.
                              yup I agree.

Comment

just curious, what is the reasoning for the mom not wanting to do christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X