Sucking the Fun Out of Christmas!!! What to Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucking the Fun Out of Christmas!!! What to Do

I do not have a religious program here at my daycare/preschool.

I teach my focus on winter, Snow, winter animals, and the commercial side of Christmas.

So today DCM walks in and says "We are not doing Santa"!!!!!!!

Ok, please explain what you mean...

DCM goes on to tell me that her son is asking questions about Santa this year and that DCD and her do not feel it is right to LIE to their child about Santa. They don't want to make something up that is not real and then ask their child to believe in it....... This is the only American custom I know and I will teach this to my child....

Sooooooo.. NOW what???????????? I didnt really know what to say. I thought I was in the clear with avoiding the religious side of it, but guess not

What do all of you do?

I'd probably tell her I am closed the week of Christmas to keep it from being an issue.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
      I'd probably tell her I am closed the week of Christmas to keep it from being an issue.
      lmao.................oh so mean....

but funny!!!

Seriously....People have to many darn issues these days.... UUUGHGHGHHGHGHHG

Comment

So is she saying she doesn't want you and the kids talking about Santa??? That would be a hard one! MMMMMmmmmmm

Wait-does Nan have any ideas?
        Each day is a fresh start
        Never look back on regrets
        Live life to the fullest
        We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
          So is she saying she doesn't want you and the kids talking about Santa??? That would be a hard one! MMMMMmmmmmm

Wait-does Nan have any ideas?
          In my policies:

We are a Christian family and observe Christian holidays and celebrations.
          http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
            In my policies:

But does Santa have anything to do with Christ? Forgive me if I sound ignorant. I really don't know too much about either....

I just view Santa as a commercial thing

Comment

This is a home based daycare. Because of this, the children will be exposed to our family's and other families personal, political, and religious beliefs at times. If you find this offensive, please ask for a schedule of events and arrange for back up on the days you choose for your child not to participate. Payment is still required on these days as the daycare is open and you are choosing for your child not to attend. Holidays are decorated in this home so if this is offensive, please choose another daycare arrangement. Thank you!

Comment

I recently read a sample letter that was meant for an older child that is finding out that santa is not real. I will tey and find it later as im on my tablet now but it was on Pinterest and it really positioned the "Lie" in a positive light, made me cry even. So I will try to find it for you and maybe show mom? It would probably change her mind!

Comment

Originally posted by JenNJ View Post
                  This is a home based daycare. Because of this, the children will be exposed to our family's and other families personal, political, and religious beliefs at times. If you find this offensive, please ask for a schedule of events and arrange for back up on the days you choose for your child not to participate. Payment is still required on these days as the daycare is open and you are choosing for your child not to attend. Holidays are decorated in this home so if this is offensive, please choose another daycare arrangement. Thank you!
                  THIS! She can't come into YOUR home and tell you what you can and can't celebrate or say.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                    In my policies:

BTW I'm mad at you.......

Why didnt you tell me this before I printed out my PHB!!! just kidding...

BUT really...just when I thought I had it all covered!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko60 View Post
                      THIS! She can't come into YOUR home and tell you what you can and can't celebrate or say.
                      here is the funny part.......her child has been here for 3 years...................

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                        I do not have a religious program here at my daycare/preschool.

I teach my focus on winter, Snow, winter animals, and the commercial side of Christmas.

So today DCM walks in and says "We are not doing Santa"!!!!!!!

Ok, please explain what you mean...

DCM goes on to tell me that her son is asking questions about Santa this year and that DCD and her do not feel it is right to LIE to their child about Santa. They don't want to make something up that is not real and then ask their child to believe in it....... This is the only American custom I know and I will teach this to my child....

Sooooooo.. NOW what???????????? I didnt really know what to say. I thought I was in the clear with avoiding the religious side of it, but guess not

What do all of you do?
                        It's okay for her to not teach her child about Santa. But she also has to make it crystal clear to him that it is something other families like and think is fun, so he is not to ruin it for his daycare friends.
                        If you are doing Santa activities with the other dck's, ask Mom what she would like her child to do in lieu of them. Expand on the other winter themes, maybe? If she observes the holiday in a religious manner, maybe she can find some activities that agree with her beliefs and send them along with the child.

Comment

We don't do Santa with our kids either . BUT, we do make sure they understand not to ruin it for other kids if they choose to believe in Santa.

If you do address "Santa" with the dc kids, what about reading stories about St. Nicholas? That way you're not "lying" but you're also educating the kids on the basis behind the idea of Santa, and how he was all about giving to others.
                          www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Comment

There was a really heated thread called "Santa Claus" , I added tags to find it.
                            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

here is the link!!

Comment

Working...
                              X