Christmas Gift/Bonus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Gift/Bonus?

My daughter (2 next week) just started at a new licensed family (in-home) daycare in the middle of November. I am not sure what to get her provider for Christmas as our kids have all been at centers in the past and we just did cute little candy cane/stocking things. Any ideas for little gifts? I really don't know what she likes...

Also, I am thinking that we want to/should give her a Christmas bonus but I have no idea how much would be appropriate. Taking the below information into account, how much would you want/expect?

First 3 weeks of care - $180/week (except for Black Friday, provider's unpaid day - Thanksgiving paid)
    Rate going forward - $135/week (drops at 2 years old)
    Provider will get paid from 12/23 thru 1/1, though the child will not be attending & she will then be able to have an additional school-ager there

I don't want to under pay her a bonus, but also cannot afford to give her a full week's pay as I read somewhere else (especially with paying the week & a half that she won't be there).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I got nothing last year so, I would think she would appreciate any amount of bonus she got. It is just a great feeling to be told you are appreciated! My family sent me a text on Thanksgiving and it made my morning!

Comment

Honestly, it isn't the money or the gift. It's really just the fact that you recognize the hard work she does and the effort she puts for to care for your daughter in a quality way.

If you are happy with her services, I would write her a thank you note/card from the heart expressing your gratitude for what she does.

Opening your home up to families that aren't related to you can be hard sometimes. The hours are long, the little things add up and the differing parenting styles can drive you mad sometimes so simply appreciating and acknowledging what your provider does is ALOT.

If you really want to give a gift, I would try to find something personal. It doesn't have to be expensive or big....just something that says you realize she has a life outside of being a child care provider.

Comment

How about just something thoughtful. I new coffee mug, some coffe and some tea (just in case she doesn't like coffee). Or maybe a $5-$10 gift card to Starbucks or Coffee Bean or something. I know that I appreciate anything, even and especially if it's a hand made card from their children and whole family. I love that you even thought about it lovethis.

Comment

I have had parents give me money, crafts they made with their children, gift cards etc. Those things were all great but what I cherish most is the cards they include with heartfelt sentiments of appreciation. I liked the money and gift cards too because I tend do do everything for everyone and not a lot for myself so it was nice to get a gift no matter how small. I'm sure other providers view this differently but I never want the homemade items...I have 4 children of my own and a daycare so I have enough of that stuff no matter how cute and heartfelt.

Comment

I am touched when my daycare parents think of me at Christmas. I have everything I need and there really isn't anything I want. However, there are many animals that don't. So at this time of year I ask that they make a donation to our local animal shelter instead of getting something for me. My heart aches for homeless animals so this gift means a lot to me.

Comment

I agree about the handwritten note saying thank you. I have saved every single one I've ever gotten!

A gift card for coffee or one for a spa. Or any amount of cash. One family always gets me expensive hand cream (I have horrible dry hands because of constant hand washing). I once got samples of lotions & perfumes from a mom that works retail (she had been saving one of each for me for months) and I loved it!

I think spending the time to write a note and purchase a gift is very thoughtful. If you are looking for an amount, I would say $50 (a little less than half week pay).

Comment

If you're going to give her a bonus I was thinking around $50 also, like someone else mentioned. And include the heartfelt written card. It'll make her day! It's difficult to know what to get if you're not sure of size, taste, where she shops, etc. A gift card to Amazon was really handy for me to receive one year because as was mentioned, you shop for everyone else and do for everybody but don't usually buy for yourself. Truthfully, anything given with a grateful message, I'm sure, will be appreciated.

Comment

I got a $100 bonus last year and that was really sweet and unexpected! Anything would be nice though.

Comment

If you don't know what she likes, you can either watch for clues the next couple weeks or go with something sure to please--visa gift card! Or if you can tell what stores she shops at (Target, fave grocery store, etc). A couple movie tickets and a $25 gift card to a restaurant near the theatre.

I got a $50 visa gift card one year and that was wonderful for me! I would frankly be embarrassed to get a week's pay. I don't know who thought that guideline up but I think it's silly, personally
                    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Other ideas: Large box of art supplies (construction paper, white drawing paper, washable crayons, water colors, tape, glue sticks, fingerpaints....)

Tissues. Or toilet paper. haha. or paper towels. Okay maybe not. :P
                      Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                        If you don't know what she likes, you can either watch for clues the next couple weeks or go with something sure to please--visa gift card! Or if you can tell what stores she shops at (Target, fave grocery store, etc). A couple movie tickets and a $25 gift card to a restaurant near the theatre.

I got a $50 visa gift card one year and that was wonderful for me! I would frankly be embarrassed to get a week's pay. I don't know who thought that guideline up but I think it's silly, personally
                        I agree, I would feel uncomfortable if a family gave me a week's pay!

Comment

I had a parent recently ask me what I like to do, without kids (I have 2 of my own). If you are comfortable you could ask her what she likes or what she likes to do. Or look around her house and see what she has. It could be candles, picture frames, figurines etc...

Personally, anything that families give is great, even a thank you letter. I have received coffee and bookstore gift cards, specialty breads, candles, and one of my favorites is a Willow Tree figurine of an angel that a family gave to me when I left a center that came with a heartfelt letter.

Comment

Since you've not been there long I think you'd be safe to go with a nice note and gift card, I'd say $50 would be plenty.

A couple of things I've received that were memorable (in a good way) were a set of nicely scented liquid hand soaps and lotions, a willow tree figurine - the family gave me one each year and I always think of their kids when dust them - restaurant gift cards are always nice, one family gave me a Tervis tumbler which was very thoughtful because I always have a drink nearby during the day.

No matter what you do, your provider will be very appreciative I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              Honestly, it isn't the money or the gift. It's really just the fact that you recognize the hard work she does and the effort she puts for to care for your daughter in a quality way.

If you are happy with her services, I would write her a thank you note/card from the heart expressing your gratitude for what she does.

Opening your home up to families that aren't related to you can be hard sometimes. The hours are long, the little things add up and the differing parenting styles can drive you mad sometimes so simply appreciating and acknowledging what your provider does is ALOT.

If you really want to give a gift, I would try to find something personal. It doesn't have to be expensive or big....just something that says you realize she has a life outside of being a child care provider.
                              I have saved every letter, note or card from parents and children. I'm sentimental like that and it goes a LONG way.

I just did this gift for ds's teachers for Christmas: a wicker basket, $3 christmas throw blanket (from walmart), redbox gift card and movie theater candy boxes and popcorn. I know they both have small children, and I KNOW my entire family would get to spend an evening together/enjoy that gift.

Comment

Working...
                              X