Playing Outside In Cold Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bookworm View Post
    I completely agree with Gavin's Mommy. I'm in the south too and to us, 50 degrees is freezing. My state has a 42 degree "guideline", but because I personally hate the cold, I won't do less than 50 degrees and even then no longer than 30-45 min. Once again, Southern kids aren't used to the cold
    I guess it's the other way around for Blackcat and the others. 90 degrees is a reason for them not to set foot outside til nightfall, but that's a typical May afternoon to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
      I guess it's the other way around for Blackcat and the others. 90 degrees is a reason for them not to set foot outside til nightfall, but that's a typical May afternoon to us.
      It really is. 90 here is HOT, HOT, HOT July day. We would head to the beach in the morning and maybe play in the shade in the afternoon but I would really watch how hot they were getting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
        My goal is get my kids outside at least 3 days a week. I realize they need outside time daily to grow, and it helps their behavior when they get that gross motor time...

BUT...if 50% of us have green slime coming from our noses, we're not going. If its under 35 degrees (35 degrees in VA feels a lot colder than 35 degrees in Michigan), we're not going. If several of us didn't have coats on when we came to school, we're not going. One of my four-year-olds is currently in the hospital with pneumonia because his mom thought a sweatshirt was sufficient outerwear for 18 degree weather. We found and put a coat on him, but the damage was done.

In the spring, summer and fall, we're out there twice a day faithfully.
        Cold air does not make you sick......we all need fresh air.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin's mommy View Post
          Being a daycare teacher for 5 years and living in a southern state 32degrees to us is freezing! I Cantrell u right now that it is the middle of January and my son was outside in a tshirt in 76degree weather! Our children are not use to cold weather like that! On days when we felt it was too cold to go outside we did activities inside to get the kids moving arround a lot! Our children do not mind playing in 100 degree weather simply because they are used to it but anything below 50degrees in the south is cold to us and that's when are children start getting sick do to the fact that our body's are not used to that cold of weather! We probably only experience that cold of weather 2 months out of the year!!! I simply say if u feel it is too cold to take the children outside than play some games inside that will get there lil body's moving and exercising!
          Children are getting sick in the winter months because you are indoors, in a heated facility.....just where germs love to flourish.

Comment

Our group loves going outside and they rarely even notice how cold it is. If it's really cold we'll just do 15 minutes or so - until the Teachers get too chilled. The kids are running like nuts and they NEED that time to get the wiggles out.

There are varying degrees of 32* depending on how damp it is out. Also the wind has a lot to do with it.

Our playground has that foam/rubber square material which actuall absorbs the heat so it's usually warmer than other areas. Good in the winter, not so good in the summer.

We use scooters, hopping balls and a big bounce house indoors when the weather is bad as our recreation time. The kids LOVE the bounce house - it's huge and can fit 4 at a time but I only allow 3 depending on how crazy they are in there.

Comment

Originally posted by MissAnn View Post
              Children are getting sick in the winter months because you are indoors, in a heated facility.....just where germs love to flourish.
              What I'm saying is in when a child is used to warm weather and than all of a sudden it's cold outside that is when our children in the south get sick! It was 74 degrees tomorrow but tomorrows hi is only 58 degrees! That's when the noses start running and the coughing starts!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                What I'm saying is in when a child is used to warm weather and than all of a sudden it's cold outside that is when our children in the south get sick! It was 74 degrees tomorrow but tomorrows hi is only 58 degrees! That's when the noses start running and the coughing starts!
                Children do not catch colds from being cold or even from changes in temperature. Colds and other illnesses are caused by viruses and bacteria which thrive in warm places. 58 degrees? You keep them inside at 58 degrees? Kids need fresh air....daily. Runny noses keep sinus infections at bay. I doubt that playing outside caused a cough.

Comment

I've always heard that while being cold doesn't cause a cold, that being chilled can lower your immunity, causing you to be more susceptible to being infected.

This article talks about a study that was done about it: http://articles.cnn.com/2005-11-14/h...r?_s=PM:HEALTH

That being said, we go outside even in the cold weather, we just make sure we're all dressed correctly for the weather.

Comment

I am in the south. I have no issues with cold. I LOVE going up north during the winter...the air is crisp, clean and feels amazing!!

Cold and wet is a different story.... We have not had a dry day on the playground in over a month!!! The ground stays saturated... we squish when we walk on grass or mulch. That is the NORM for this season. Every trip outside requires a COMPLETE change of clothing to include shoes and socks. It burns the skin like fire.

It is HARD to find water resistant winter gear, in stores here...

I order offline, so have no problems finding what I want ANY time of the year.

My clients, generally, still won't shop online...

Without EVERY kid having PROPER gear for the weather, it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get them outside for any length of time without tears and begging to go inside.

I can't tell you how many times parents have sent in fleece HOODIES and say they are COATS.

I just buy everything myself, but not everyone has the ability or desire to.
                    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

we squish when we walk on grass or mulch

My yard has a slight downward slant. Just enough to drain off water. I'm so thankful for that. Now, if I could just get more shade!!!!!! This may be the year for getting a shade structure.....hopefully one my DH will make. happyface

Comment

Working...
                      X