Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Outside In Cold Weather

HI

I work at a daycare and my 2 year old daughter and 2 1/2 year old nephew attend there. The director is requiring that we take the children out in the mornings around 9:30 if the temp is not below 32 degrees. This is outrageous to me! That is freezing! There is ice on the grass at that temp. She seemed irritated like I was undermining her authority when I told her I didn't want them out, that it was too cold. I took the rest of my class out though. My question, in Alabama, is there a minimum temperature they can go out and for how long? Does anyone know? This really bothers me. It is a conflict being a worker and a parent at the same time.

On my website I have a PDF that both the Child Resource & the CACFP gave me to go by what is suggested for outdoor play. It is located at the very bottom of the page.

Comment

too cold out

i am also a daycare worker and my son is only 2 I watch all ages of children and they are not going outside if the windchill is too high and it's more then -25. we do go outside everyday and it's only for 30minutes!

Comment

I am a licensed in home provider in Alaska. We are required to take the children out unless it is colder than 10 degrees (also considering windchill factor). This is my business, so I t out with the parents. I have never met a parent that wanted their child out in such cold weather. What we decide in our daycare is between us and the parents. There are some codes not followed completely (like playing outside in 10 degree weather, big snow depths, big amount of snow coming down, etc...). Our municipality said they don't care what we or the parents want, they want us to do what they say. They are trying to take over our businesses and control everything (beyond their jurisdiction) .

Everyone have a great Christmas

Comment

fat kids

If you want fat kids, keep them inside all the time in-front of the tv. If you want them to nap, playing outside for a thirty minutes to an hour in cold air is not going to be an issue. When I was a kid we played outside in the rural area south of Buffalo,NY for hours. I recall digging tunnels in a blizzard and sweating in a snow suit. We played regularly when the outside temperature was 10-32F for hours. Only high winds would keep us inside. As long as you dress for the weather, you do not get cold.

Comment

playing outside

I grew up in Colorado and remember, as another poster said, digging tunnels in blizzards and playing outside for hours. I operate a licensed daycare, and if the kids want to go outside for a bit, then they are allowed to do that. However, many of the parents dont bring appropriate clothing for some of the kids to go out. I've been wanting to say something to one of the parents who brings her child in a lined windbreaker with a hood, and a beanie cap and that's it for outerwear. But, if they dress appropriately, they will be fine outside for a short time. School aged kids in the elementary schools here are required to be outside before school, during recess, and they have to leave the building immediately after school, too. There are no school buses, so if the kid lives four miles away and nobody picks them up, it's their problem to get home, no matter their age and no matter the weather.

I personally dont like going out in really cold weather.

Comment

playing outside in cold temp

I think that taking kids outside is very important on many levels. What is important is having kids dressed appropriately. There is nothing wrong with playing outside in cold weather, provided that it is done correctly. At A to Z Daycare, we take kids outside for about 30 minutes. It promotes good health, and strong immune system, and kids sleep better! But again, as long as kids are appropriately dressed!

A to Z Daycare Center and Afterschool Program, Inc.
              Brooklyn, NY
              A2Z Happyland provides quality childcare that is nurturing, educational, supportive and loving. We offer stimulating care and educational experience.

Comment

When is it Too Hot or Cold for Outside Daycare Play

We posted a new article on the weather question at:
                https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html

Comment

Yes, Go Outside

My son attends a daycare that, when I interviewed them, stated that they take the children outside every day unless it's below 30, "too hot," or excessively windy (because of some old trees on the property). I've since discovered that they almost NEVER go outside, not on warm days, not if they think it MIGHT rain later in the day, not if it rained YESTERDAY, not if they're "too busy" . . . not in the strollers, not in the playground. I'm lucky if my son goes outside once every 3 weeks and they actually told another parent that the children will not go outside until the spring . . . even though it's been 50 degrees in our area. And not rainy. And not windy. It's a complete travesty and as much as I badger them about it, nothing is getting done. I am now working less and keeping him home with me more just so I can take him outside every day. Meanwhile, I'm on a wait list for another day care/preschool (where I actually witnessed them taking the children outside on a 24 degree day, happily). Children should be outside. They need to be outside. They need to experience weather. Rain, snow, wind, cold, heat, and sun are actually good for them!

Comment

I'm not arguing, because I honestly don't know. I wonder if this would vary according to where you live. In some places, 32º isn't a big deal. Here, it's a cold we aren't really use to. And snow. Shuts things down and our systems aren't adjusted to that kind of cold. And we don't have the right clothes. None of my kids even own boots.

I take mine out unless is too cold. I have one that has a lot of problems with her ears. If it's cold and windy, I don't take her out. I know we should go out more, but I get so tired of following them around the play yard and taking the rocks, snails (shudder) sticks, and leaves out of their mouths. I don't care how much I police the yard, they seem to go straight to the one thing that shouldn't have! We have pecan trees all over our yard. Luckily we didn't have a crop this year. I'm hoping that by the time we have a crop on the ground next fall, they will be old enough not to put them in their mouths.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      My son attends a daycare that, when I interviewed them, stated that they take the children outside every day unless it's below 30, "too hot," or excessively windy (because of some old trees on the property). I've since discovered that they almost NEVER go outside, not on warm days, not if they think it MIGHT rain later in the day, not if it rained YESTERDAY, not if they're "too busy" . . . not in the strollers, not in the playground. I'm lucky if my son goes outside once every 3 weeks and they actually told another parent that the children will not go outside until the spring . . . even though it's been 50 degrees in our area. And not rainy. And not windy. It's a complete travesty and as much as I badger them about it, nothing is getting done. I am now working less and keeping him home with me more just so I can take him outside every day. Meanwhile, I'm on a wait list for another day care/preschool (where I actually witnessed them taking the children outside on a 24 degree day, happily). Children should be outside. They need to be outside. They need to experience weather. Rain, snow, wind, cold, heat, and sun are actually good for them!
                      As your child's parent, then why don't YOU take them out if you feel it is so important your child experiences all the variables of the weather. Since when did it become the daycare providers responsibility to make sure "your" child experiences all the variables of the weather, you Are the parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        This is one of the reasons I pulled my son from a center day care and became a provider. It was in their curriculum that they had outside time every day, when I pushed one of the workers on the issue she admitted to me they RARELY take them outside because it is too difficult. I take my kids out for 30-60 min a day, plus they can play outside one the deck whenever. I don't take them out below 32f or in very windy weather since it bothers them. Getting sun year round and being able to run wild and explore nature is part of a healthy childhood.

Comment

I think the kids should go outside too. But, I think they should adjust the recess time til the lawn thaws at least.

I grew up in Chicago, with below zero wind chills, and we STILL had to drag ourselves into coats and boots and go outside. It seemed completely normal.

*said the lady who now lives where it's rarely below 60 degrees and can't imagine going outside in cold weather now*

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
                            I'm not arguing, because I honestly don't know. I wonder if this would vary according to where you live. In some places, 32º isn't a big deal. Here, it's a cold we aren't really use to. And snow. Shuts things down and our systems aren't adjusted to that kind of cold. And we don't have the right clothes. None of my kids even own boots.

I take mine out unless is too cold. I have one that has a lot of problems with her ears. If it's cold and windy, I don't take her out. I know we should go out more, but I get so tired of following them around the play yard and taking the rocks, snails (shudder) sticks, and leaves out of their mouths. I don't care how much I police the yard, they seem to go straight to the one thing that shouldn't have! We have pecan trees all over our yard. Luckily we didn't have a crop this year. I'm hoping that by the time we have a crop on the ground next fall, they will be old enough not to put them in their mouths.
                            :::: That's exactly what I ws thinking....32F in the winter is a heat wave for us! LOL!! Unless the numbers on the thermometer have a minus sign "-" in front of them, we are outside everyday.

Comment

We go outside every day of the year. We go outside so long as the temp is above -10*c (15*f). We run and play and have a great time. When you include the school run, we are outside for more than 2 hours a day. Today was 3 hours and it was 28*f. Beautiful day!

Comment

Working...
                              X