No announcement yet.

Daycare Provider Paid Time Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a child care provider - I charge for federal holidays only. I would NOT feel right charging parents for MY personal vacation or MY sick days.

Comment

I get paid holidays and vacations and have no problem whatsoever with that. My daycare parents are well informed with my practice. If they don't like it, they are welcome to take their business elsewhere. Its a benefit of running my own business, I make the rules.

Comment

I also get paid for statutory holidays. I don't charge for my own sick time or vacation (up to 3 weeks) but I do charge for stats. I get my first of the year this coming Monday!

My clients are all aware of my policies when they sign into care. There are plenty of other daycares in my area and many of them don't charge when the child does not attend. Parents here have options.

Comment

If I could figure out how to post a poll, I'd love to post one to see just how many of us owner/providers actually charge for paid time off and what type: Paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays, paid personals, other.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do it......

Comment

As a childcare provider....

I put in 50 hours a week on the clock with my families plus approximately 5 hours a week running errands/doing pre for the daycare itself. That's about 15 hours a week of overtime which I don't get paid for. In four weeks I put in approximately 60 hours of overtime, with no overtime pay.

I do not get a designated break in my 10 hour shifts.

I do not get yearly bonuses.

I do not get a benefit package.

I do not get offered a rrsp plan through work.

For this reason I take all stat holidays off with pay. I take 3 weeks of paid holidays per year. I also reserve 5 paid personal days per year that I can take as needed for a illness, a funeral, a appointment, etc...

I would never accept a family who had a problem with my paid time off and I do not allow anyone to get away without paying for my time off.

My contract states:

Upon the termination of your childcare space you will be required to pay out any paid holidays to myself that you currently owe. Since I am entitled to 3 weeks of paid holidays per year, if your child attended daycare for one year you will be required to pay for 3 weeks of my paid holidays or part of 3 weeks if I have not taken all 3 weeks of paid holidays. If your child attended daycare for 8 months you will be required to pay for 2 weeks of my paid holidays or part of 2 weeks if the I have not taken all 2 weeks of paid holidays. If your child attended daycare for 4 months you will be required to pay for 1 week of my paid holidays or part of 1 week if I have not taken all of 1 week of paid holidays.

Because of this paragraph families can not drop care with me the month before my scheduled holidays.

If I didn't get paid stats, paid holidays or paid personal days I would no longer run a daycare.

I opened a daycare because I love children, I didn't open a daycare because I wanted to be "less" than the rest of the world. I deserve my paid time off just like everyone else in the world. Honestly, I deserve overtime pay too, but we all know that's not likely.

P.S. I'm not bitter I'm just really firm on my stand.

Comment

Daycare provider

People who are looking not to pay when their child are not present or do not want to pay for vacation day-offs for the provider need to seek the title "baby-sitter" to watch their children. Fact of the matter is that people will seek the cheapest route and will make excuses to justify their reasons. It makes you wonder what are their priorities? Many, not all, have treated my business as that of a baby-sitter until it's tax time, then I am a business again. If you are a home provider and you are caring for more than 3 children then you are required to have a license. It is this very reason that I explain to the parent that they are reserving a spot on the license when they sign a contract. No matter if they bring their child or not, if they want to keep their spot. Payment must be received. My daycare is incorporated, fully licensed and insured. Not all providers will meet these requirements. Let's focus on my daycare as for I cannot speak for the others. My rate is $125 per week per child(all ages). The hours of operation are from 6am to 6pm or in simpler terms 60 hours. This does not include the time for preperation nor the time for clean up, grocery shopping, paperwork, emails, phone calls, etc...I actually awake at 5am preparing for opening and do not finish my day until 7PM the hour after close for cleaning purposes. This will increase my work hours to 70 hours a week plus the hour it takes to buy groceries of supplies ( which we do on Sunday's, a day that we are closed) bringing the total to 71 hours a week dedicated to my business. This equates to $1.76 per hour that I am making-from one childs daycare spot for the week. My wife has a teaching degree and runs a structed enviroment for the children in an actual daycare facility in our home. Our facility is better than a few of the local business daycares (this coming from the parents in our daycare, a reason why they left previous daycares in the first place due to cleanliness, and a structured loving environment). Our license is that of a business license except that we run our business from our home. The license is called a group home daycare license. It is this very reason that we follow the same guidelines of those daycares and close the same days that they are closed. Meaning that we expect paid vacation days off. Don't fall into the understanding that just because we work from home that we can be classified as baby-sitters, but instead understand that we care for your children as if they were our own. What is your child's good health and well being worth to you? Honestly one shouldn't be worried about paying one of the most important people in your life a little bit extra each year. If that doesnt do it for you then chalk it up this way; Each year the licensed childcare provider is required by law to complete 15 plus hours of classes to keep them up-to-date on all of the state requirements and changes in the guidelines for a licensed facility/ home. This also keeps the provider and all of it's employees (my wife and I) motivated and educated to do their JOB. So, take those 15 plus hours and apply that extra "provider vacation" money to that. We work hard for what we have as does ANY licensed childcare provider and we deserve the wages that we make.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                People who are looking not to pay when their child are not present or do not want to pay for vacation day-offs for the provider need to seek the title "baby-sitter" to watch their children. Fact of the matter is that people will seek the cheapest route and will make excuses to justify their reasons. It makes you wonder what are their priorities? Many, not all, have treated my business as that of a baby-sitter until it's tax time, then I am a business again. If you are a home provider and you are caring for more than 3 children then you are required to have a license. It is this very reason that I explain to the parent that they are reserving a spot on the license when they sign a contract. No matter if they bring their child or not, if they want to keep their spot. Payment must be received. My daycare is incorporated, fully licensed and insured. Not all providers will meet these requirements. Let's focus on my daycare as for I cannot speak for the others. My rate is $125 per week per child(all ages). The hours of operation are from 6am to 6pm or in simpler terms 60 hours. This does not include the time for preperation nor the time for clean up, grocery shopping, paperwork, emails, phone calls, etc...I actually awake at 5am preparing for opening and do not finish my day until 7PM the hour after close for cleaning purposes. This will increase my work hours to 70 hours a week plus the hour it takes to buy groceries of supplies ( which we do on Sunday's, a day that we are closed) bringing the total to 71 hours a week dedicated to my business. This equates to $1.76 per hour that I am making-from one childs daycare spot for the week. My wife has a teaching degree and runs a structed enviroment for the children in an actual daycare facility in our home. Our facility is better than a few of the local business daycares (this coming from the parents in our daycare, a reason why they left previous daycares in the first place due to cleanliness, and a structured loving environment). Our license is that of a business license except that we run our business from our home. The license is called a group home daycare license. It is this very reason that we follow the same guidelines of those daycares and close the same days that they are closed. Meaning that we expect paid vacation days off. Don't fall into the understanding that just because we work from home that we can be classified as baby-sitters, but instead understand that we care for your children as if they were our own. What is your child's good health and well being worth to you? Honestly one shouldn't be worried about paying one of the most important people in your life a little bit extra each year. If that doesnt do it for you then chalk it up this way; Each year the licensed childcare provider is required by law to complete 15 plus hours of classes to keep them up-to-date on all of the state requirements and changes in the guidelines for a licensed facility/ home. This also keeps the provider and all of it's employees (my wife and I) motivated and educated to do their JOB. So, take those 15 plus hours and apply that extra "provider vacation" money to that. We work hard for what we have as does ANY licensed childcare provider and we deserve the wages that we make.

Oh my goodness....I misread your first sentence and you almost got a disgruntled reply! So glad I kept reading. Last week I worked an average of 67 hours per year. My pay ended up being $5.77 per hour. My dream is to make minimum wage! We have time when kids are present which I call job #1. Then there's the paperwork, planning, groceries and cleaning which I call job #2. Today is a non paid holiday for me....and I have worked all day. I never have a true day off. when I have no job #1 for a day....I amp up the job #2 so I won't fall too far behind. If I take a fun day with my husband......daycare is always on my mind and a huge part of our conversations. We also experience damage to our homes.......my carpet is falling apart and I can't afford to replace it. My walls have damage because of improperly hanging stuff that is required and also because face it.....kids cause damage. Not charging when kids don't come????? Well, my bills are still due. The perfect solution? You can choose to have contracted days or you can take your chance every time you bring your child that I am not already full for that day.....and you will also pay an extra $5 per day. You choose! Why would I not take vacations and Holidays? I need time to relax and to keep motivated to do my job. Do you really want a provider that never has days off or a vacation. We can't afford to take these without pay.....$5.77 and hour pay enough to afford even a stay at home vacation! We are professionals. I have a degree in ECE, I'm a 3/3 star program, I cook very nutritios meals, and I teach, provide awesome and educational materials.....and buy more and more every month......I want clients that look at this program first for quality....and second for "how much".

Sorry.....I feel better.....I agree with your entire post!

Comment

Daycare PTO

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  Home daycare providers are self employed. Self employed people usually don't get paid vacation. My provider asks for paid vacation and I do not agree with it. When we go on vacation, I will still pay for the week that my child is not there. That I agree with. I also do not have a problem paying for holidays should it fall on a weekday, but paid vacations? So basically, I have to pay for her for not watching my child and pay for someone else to watch him. Doesn't make sense. This is why I am changing providers. Good luck.
                  Agreed. You lose certain privileges when you become self-employed, PTO being one of them. However, if the provider keeps getting new clients, what motivation does she have to change? I think it's steep, and the best message you could send is to find another provider.

Comment

Originally posted by Msiferllc View Post
                    Agreed. You lose certain privileges when you become self-employed, PTO being one of them. However, if the provider keeps getting new clients, what motivation does she have to change? I think it's steep, and the best message you could send is to find another provider.
                    And you are marketing products to daycare providers here?

It cuts both ways.
                    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                      And you are marketing products to daycare providers here?

It cuts both ways.
                      Selling baby monitors, right?

While everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, I'm not sure making an anti-provider post would be my first choice in a marketing strategy .

Comment

• No Charge for My Vacation

I started off charging only for the days children were in care, but I soon found that grandparents/aunts magically appeared to watch the kids. I definitely couldn't afford to stay open when the parents didn't bring the kids due to having free childcare. I soon learned to charge a weekly rate.

I've only been charging for the major holidays--New Years, Memorial, 4th of July, Labor Day, Christmas (if they fall during the week) for a year. I added in only 3 paid sick days as well.

I do not charge for my personal vacation or if I take a non-holiday day off, but I do give plenty of notice. I added in the 3 paid sick days because I get every illness that the kids get and so does my daughter. I've had to use 2 of the sick days already this year because my daughter and I got pneumonia in Jan.

I try to be as fair as I can with my daycare parents. I, however, do not work for my parents. I provide a service; they chose to use my service.

Others in my city can charge for 10 personal days, 3 weeks vacation, all the federal holidays--all paid and get away with it. One provider has in her contract that she will not take kids unless both parents are working. If one parent is off, she expects the child to be home.

It's up to the parents to agree to the contract and find the service that works best for them.

Comment

• Pay rate...

Originally posted by mac60 View Post
                          I get less than $1.75 per hour to care for your child, and I supply care, love, food, activities, etc.
                          I agree many childcare providers are paid low. However, to state you only make $1.75/hr seems a bit extreme. If you are attempting to get every parent to pay you minimum wage or higher per hour per child that may be an unreasonable expectation. Some states do have a maximum # of kids you may watch (i.e. Providing unlicensed child care for more than 4 children, who are not related to the provider, is against the law in Missouri.) In this situation the provider should determine their desired hourly wage (or wkly earnings) and divide that by the four child max.

We take our child to an unlicensed home daycare that operates a max of 9 hours per day. Every federal holiday is observed (daycare closed) and we still pay for care. We pay the full-time weekly rate whether our child is there or not. In addition the provider is allowed two one-week paid vacations (1 spring/summer, 1 fall/winter).

$125 per week x 4 children = $500 per week divided by 45 hrs of max operation = $11.11/hour.

NOTE: A licensed provider may care for more than the four limit mentioned above. "There are several criteria that determine a facility’s licensed capacity. These include: Square footage for indoor and outdoor areas; Director’s education and work experience; and
                          Amount of materials and equipment."

Comment

• Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            I agree many childcare providers are paid low. However, to state you only make $1.75/hr seems a bit extreme. If you are attempting to get every parent to pay you minimum wage or higher per hour per child that may be an unreasonable expectation. Some states do have a maximum # of kids you may watch (i.e. Providing unlicensed child care for more than 4 children, who are not related to the provider, is against the law in Missouri.) In this situation the provider should determine their desired hourly wage (or wkly earnings) and divide that by the four child max.

We take our child to an unlicensed home daycare that operates a max of 9 hours per day. Every federal holiday is observed (daycare closed) and we still pay for care. We pay the full-time weekly rate whether our child is there or not. In addition the provider is allowed two one-week paid vacations (1 spring/summer, 1 fall/winter).

$125 per week x 4 children = $500 per week divided by 45 hrs of max operation = $11.11/hour.

NOTE: A licensed provider may care for more than the four limit mentioned above. "There are several criteria that determine a facility’s licensed capacity. These include: Square footage for indoor and outdoor areas; Director’s education and work experience; and
                            That $11.11 per hour you just figured out is unreal (not that I'm sayin $1.75/hour is too realistic either) because that does not include taking out expenses such as insurance, food, art materials, etc. etc. nor does it include outside time such as shopping, planning and prep.
                            lovethis daymommy to 7 kiddos - 5 girls and 2 boys

Comment

• Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I do not know any childcare provider who works "45 hours of max operation" per week. Maybe 45-50 hours with children present, and that doesn't include the time it takes to do administrative duties, clean, lesson plan, prepare materials, go shopping for food/toys/necessary items, etc. I work around 60 hours per week (minimum).

The amount of money that goes back into running a business like this is unbelievable and I don't think you'd begrudge your daycare provider for charging what they do and when they do if you knew the true costs (financially, physically, and mentally) of running a quality daycare program.

Comment

• paid sick/vac

I dont change my parents if I need a day off. I do Charge for all holidays Im closed.
                                Building Blocks Family Daycare
                                Miss Heather

Comment

Working...
                                X