Should I Give Her A Refund?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Give Her A Refund?

So, I have talked about a 10 month old dcb that constantly cried, yesterday I made the decision to term him. I told mom that it was just getting to difficult to meet the babies needs and be able to care for the other kids as well. I felt horrible because I really do like the parents. But it was just too stressful for me with that little boy crying all day. So mom was upset that I would no longer take care of her son. She said she didn't know what she was going to do. They made a payment on Monday for the next two weeks. I told her yesterday which was Wednesday. I wanted to give them time to find someone else so I told her I would still watch him until next Friday since thats when they are paid up until. She told me this morning that they have decided "After my decision to no longer care for her son, she has decided to not have him continue to go here until the 12th. Yesterday is his last day and she will get back the money for the rest of this week and next week... Hmm... I've never dealt with this kind of situation. The way I see it is I was giving her notice that 12th would be the last day of care. I am still offering to provide care until that day, if she refuses I don't see why I should have to give her the money back. Just like if she gave me notice, I wouldn't not provide care for the last two weeks just because she told me she was going to leave..... At the same time, I don't want to deal with drama... WWYD?

No. You should not refund the money. You were willing to meet the needs of the family through the date they are paid up to, she made the decision to not return.

Do you have a contract?

Comment

I'd keep the money. You've given her proper notice and she's chosing to keep her child home.

Comment

Yes, I do have a contract and it does state that all child care payments are non-refundable.

Comment

Originally posted by JaydensMommy View Post
          Yes, I do have a contract and it does state that all child care payments are non-refundable.
          There is your answer. Politely tell her to read her copy of the contract that she signed.

Comment

Enforce it

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
              Enforce it
              Exactly.....
              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

There is your answer. Point her in person or verbally,( if by phone) to the page on the contract that she signed. Tell her you are willing to give care until the date they are paid. If she chooses to remove him before then, that is her choice. However, it is non-refundable.

Comment

A contract is a contract but I did wonder after reading your other post if the Mom was aware of the child crying all day. You kept mentioning how happy they were to have you.

If she was unaware of the child crying every day and this was only sprung on her at termination then it's hardly fair to keep her money.

She's probably keeping him home because she feels he is miserable at your house. (which he seems to be.) No reflection on you - I know you have been doing everything in your power to make him happy. He's probably one of those "rage babies" we've been hearing about, majorly intense OR there is something physically wrong with him and his Mother needs to find out what it is.

Now if she DID know about the child crying all the time and sent him anyway then by all means keep it. It's yours and it's well deserved for all the time you were tortured by this child.

Comment

No matter what the reason for termination (if mom was blissfully unaware of her son's unhappiness, let's say), if you followed your policies and provided the notice required by the contract then you should not have to refund the $$. The reason doesn't matter, providing proper notice was given (my contract says 2 weeks).

Comment

Originally posted by Kaddidle Care View Post
                      A contract is a contract but I did wonder after reading your other post if the Mom was aware of the child crying all day. You kept mentioning how happy they were to have you.

If she was unaware of the child crying every day and this was only sprung on her at termination then it's hardly fair to keep her money.

She's probably keeping him home because she feels he is miserable at your house. (which he seems to be.) No reflection on you - I know you have been doing everything in your power to make him happy. He's probably one of those "rage babies" we've been hearing about, majorly intense OR there is something physically wrong with him and his Mother needs to find out what it is.

Now if she DID know about the child crying all the time and sent him anyway then by all means keep it. It's yours and it's well deserved for all the time you were tortured by this child.
                      I always talk to the parents about how their child did that day. In this case I would let her know if he was really fussy. I had talked to her about it and asked her about it. She said he does well at home. She said he cries but gets over it quickly at home, while here he did not..

Comment

You just solved your own problem! Reprint: highlight that sentence and highlight her signature. No refund! Stand your ground!

Comment

saying "he does well at home" and then saying "well he does cry but gets over it quickly" lets you know that she IS aware of what you are talking about but the difference at home is that the parents do a mad scramble to give him whatever he wants so he "gets over it quickly". She doesn't understand that you can't do the same thing. If I term, I do refund any money for care not provided assuming the child does not attend at all anymore. Thats just me. I'd rather get them out the door with nothing further to complain about or come back to me for. It cuts ties completely and helps me feel that I did the right thing. However, if you do have a contract that states in case of termination, no refunds are given then you are well within your right to keep the money.

Comment

I guess if it were me I would not refund, but if it were easier without the little one then i would refund since I gave notice. Especially since I've had time to contemplate the opening coming up. Just do what your contract states.

I do hate that type of situation. not my favorite part of the job

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleMom View Post
                              I guess if it were me I would not refund, but if it were easier without the little one then i would refund since I gave notice. Especially since I've had time to contemplate the opening coming up. Just do what your contract states.

I do hate that type of situation. not my favorite part of the job
                              I know, it's very hard and it makes me feel like the bad guy. But I could have waited until Friday and tell her today is your last day.. But I didn't because I wanted to give her time to find different child care.

Comment

Working...
                              X