No announcement yet.

Chuckling At Neighbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sad thing about the cal. reg. is that Prohibiting them all together was the only way the state could insure that children where not placed in them literally all day. A few years ago I saw a 20/20 type shoe where they had placed hidden cameras in a family day care and between morning snack and after noon snack.

Comment

Originally posted by momofboys View Post
      The exersaucer my son had was stationery but then he is only 3 yrs old so it was purchased in 2008. . . I think more of them are stationery these days.
      This was the kind he had - not with all that junk on it like I see nowadays.

He'd lean back and forth, side to side and sort of waddle it across the room. I couldn't turn my back on him for an instant, little wild man that he was.

Edit: My ADHD son took a look at the ones they make nowadays and said: "It's no wonder kids have ADD these days - just look at them!"

Comment

Originally posted by joynerportia@yahoo View Post
        The sad thing about the cal. reg. is that Prohibiting them all together was the only way the state could insure that children where not placed in them literally all day. A few years ago I saw a 20/20 type shoe where they had placed hidden cameras in a family day care and between morning snack and after noon snack.
        Have you seen any of those shows that promote the positive use of things? No, because nobody would watch, everyone wants to see the horror shows.

Comment

I'm sure you have all seen this photo before but soon this is all we will be able to do with children.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	rednecktimeout.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	981209
          I see little people.

Comment

Originally posted by Childminder View Post
            I'm sure you have all seen this photo before but soon this is all we will be able to do with children.
            [ATTACH]520[/ATTACH]
            Lmao. A man did that!!! No doubt! That is super funny!!

Comment

It is totally crazy here in CA! The bouncy seats used to be okay, but now they can only be held or put on the floor.
              When I had my last site visit in Jan. 2010, I was told by licensing that they will cite a provider, if they use a pack & play for anything, but actually sleeping. I'm assuming it's okay to put an infant down in one awake and allow them to fall asleep.
              However, she explained that one provider had put an infant in one with some toys, while she was occupied with her licensing monitor and got cited for that?! :confused: I guess it's better to leave an infant unsupervised, while an inspection is taking place in the home. My last inspection lasted 1 1/2 hours, and since we can have 2 dcks under the age of 2, holding them the whole time is not very realistic!
              She also said high chairs cannot be used to restrain a child and can only be used while the child is actually eating. They claim it is a personal right issue to have an infant contained in anything.
              I have not been able to find anything regarding swings in regs though...and have simply stayed away from them. I'd love to hear what anyone else knows about that!

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
                Have you seen any of those shows that promote the positive use of things? No, because nobody would watch, everyone wants to see the horror shows.
                You missed the point the point was that people greatly abused the use of such things and children where seriously hurt and a few died. Death is a much bigger down fall than any positive use of something.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                  IIRC they have had deaths and severe bodily injuries on infants caused by non supervision in them, use too young, use too old, long periods of time use, etc.
                  I can think of a MILLION things in the house that can cause harm if not supervised when using them. How about a chair, a table... are they going to ban everything that is used incorrectly??????

Comment

Originally posted by joynerportia@yahoo View Post
                    You missed the point the point was that people greatly abused the use of such things and children where seriously hurt and a few died. Death is a much bigger down fall than any positive use of something.
                    No, I didn't miss the point, I understood what you were saying.

My point is that thousands of people use these items in their homes every day without an issue. But a few people use them incorrectly, so nobody can use them. Do you see shows promoting the safe use? No, we see shows that show the horror stories.

Years ago, I saw a show on Oprah where a child stood on an oven door and the stove topple down and killed the child. They now have little brackets that anchor the back legs to prevent this from happening. I have never had a child stand on an open oven door because I know to close the door as soon as possible.

We are moving away from using common sense and having to have somebody else tell us what to do, when, why, and where.

I had a curling iron years ago that said something to the effect "Do not insert vaginally". Now who in their right mind is going to do that? Thankfully nobody I know, but the disclaimer had to be there just in case somebody did it.

Comment

I have 2 sofas in my family room that recline. I am waiting, because I am positive that they will be banned before too many years.

Comment

My point is that thousands of people use these items in their homes every day without an issue. But a few people use them incorrectly, so nobody can use them. Do you see shows promoting the safe use? No, we see shows that show the horror stories.

Years ago, I saw a show on Oprah where a child stood on an oven door and the stove topple down and killed the child. They now have little brackets that anchor the back legs to prevent this from happening. I have never had a child stand on an open oven door because I know to close the door as soon as possible.

We are moving away from using common sense and having to have somebody else tell us what to do, when, why, and where.

I had a curling iron years ago that said something to the effect "Do not insert vaginally". Now who in their right mind is going to do that? Thankfully nobody I know, but the disclaimer had to be there just in case somebody did it.
                        I see you did get the point.

I am sorry it seamed to me that you did not.

Comment

I think we do see the shows recommending the safe use of equipment, we just focus more on the "horror stories"

You are right, we are moving away from common sense, but that is the reality of today's society....many, many people do not use common sense, resulting in "horror stories" so, unfortunately many people DO need to be banned from using some things.

Yes, this equipment is used in many homes, but we are group care....not caring for one or two children....so having that exersaucer/swing/playpen DOES end up getting used for FAR too much time and as pacifiers/babysitters for children while the provider tends to other tasks. It is unfortunate that a few providers have made it so no providers can use this equipment, but licensing has no way of assessing who will or will not use it properly, so in the end they just banned it all. Also, there have been a multitude of accidents, oftentimes resulting in death, when parents have used this equipment at home......it has also resulted in failure-to-thrive babies, which affects the child's growth and development long-term.

While I see the need for some sort of equipment for many providers, I think in the long-run the overall safety, appropriate development and well-being of children in ALL child care situations overrides the need to use such equipment.

Comment

For those veteran providers-20+ years what in the world did you guys do back then before all these were invented or used. Where babies just laid down on the ground with a blanket or something. My oldest daughter 18 had a bouncer/then a walker but we did't have a pnp or a playpen even but she wasn't in a childcare till she was 2. She also was my only one so what did everyone in childcare do?
                            Each day is a fresh start
                            Never look back on regrets
                            Live life to the fullest
                            We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                              I think we do see the shows recommending the safe use of equipment, we just focus more on the "horror stories"

You are right, we are moving away from common sense, but that is the reality of today's society....many, many people do not use common sense, resulting in "horror stories" so, unfortunately many people DO need to be banned from using some things.

Yes, this equipment is used in many homes, but we are group care....not caring for one or two children....so having that exersaucer/swing/playpen DOES end up getting used for FAR too much time and as pacifiers/babysitters for children while the provider tends to other tasks. It is unfortunate that a few providers have made it so no providers can use this equipment, but licensing has no way of assessing who will or will not use it properly, so in the end they just banned it all. Also, there have been a multitude of accidents, oftentimes resulting in death, when parents have used this equipment at home......it has also resulted in failure-to-thrive babies, which affects the child's growth and development long-term.

While I see the need for some sort of equipment for many providers, I think in the long-run the overall safety, appropriate development and well-being of children in ALL child care situations overrides the need to use such equipment.
                              well said:

Comment

I have been a provider for 14 years, so they pretty much had most of the equipment when I started. But, it has never been my go-to. I don't have a swing, I don't have any baby equipment, other than a crib I just bought...and I was hesitant to buy that. I have always used moses baskets and the like, but I have a highly active, older group right now and with an itty bitty one starting I wanted somewhere a little more enclosed for him.

I have "cozy corners" set up with board books, rattles, mirrors, etc. for the infants. I use moby wraps to carry the infant when I don't have time to sit and hold/rock, etc. and simply wear the baby

Comment

Working...
                                X