Disposable or Dishwasher Dishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost

Like I said before, I use paper plates. The cost is about 10 dollars per month.

Comment

I use plastic plates, cups, bowls, utensils. The utensils have animals shapes at the end. I get a bunch of stuff at the dollar tree and a bargain store owned by Mennoites. I can get Juicy Juice for $1.35 (the big alum. can size), and chef boyaree for under a dollar/can. I love it there. I never had a dishwasher. So doing dishes is no big deal to me. I'm getting the 4 yr dcb and my 5 yr dd to help dry dishes after lunch. I just can't imagine throwing away all the paper plates in the trash. I've been a big recycler since I was 15 or so. (So for about 22 yrs) It just comes natural for me. For things that can't be recylced, like yougurt, margarine tubs etc. I keep those for craft projects.

Comment

At my former center we used all the disposable stuff...paper plates, spoons etc. As I commented earlier, we were SUPPOSE to throw the single service items away after use but we never did. The only time we ever did was when either state was there, spoons were yucky, or when we had a virus going around.

We used the regular white spoons however once we had the silverware with the animals. That didnt last long. The children eventually started to throw those away with their plates.

We used paper plates. However to save money the director bought a whole bunch of plastic plates that had the 3 compartments and very durable. However those didnt last either since whoever was in the kitchen that day didnt feel like washing ALL those plates (we had no dishwasher). So it was back to paper.

Comment

I know you guys will think I'm crazy but........I buy the children their own stuff. Everyday they use their own lil cup and their own lil plate and their own sliver! When they come to my care i buy them their own "special stuff" to use at Ms. Cinnas and when they leave my care they take it with them. I know crazy huh!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetcinna View Post
            I know you guys will think I'm crazy but........I buy the children their own stuff. Everyday they use their own lil cup and their own lil plate and their own silver! When they come to my care i buy them their own "special stuff" to use at Ms. Cinnas and when they leave my care they take it with them. I know crazy huh!
            That is a super sweet idea. If I didn't think it would cause a good deal of infighting I might try it.
            I use cute little divided trays and silver. I have different colored small cups, but I have to be careful about who gets what colors or there may be a throw down, but I like how the different colors gets them talking about colors.
            Last edited by Michael; 01-17-2010, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I also buy them a special nap time blankie too!!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetcinna View Post
                I know you guys will think I'm crazy but........I buy the children their own stuff. Everyday they use their own lil cup and their own lil plate and their own sliver! When they come to my care i buy them their own "special stuff" to use at Ms. Cinnas and when they leave my care they take it with them. I know crazy huh!
                I do this as well. I have trays that have dividers, like cafeteria style. They have matching cups and silverware. Like I said, I will use paper once in awhile but when I don't they get these. The only difference is when they leave my care they don't take them. They get recycled to another new child. With this economy the way my parents keep loosing their jobs, all my money would go out the door!

Comment

I have cafeteria trays, blue tupperware luncheon plates, some red plastic plates and some plastic 3 space divider ones. I use what ever Im in the mood for that day. . But I never use disposable. Either silverware or dishes. I think the first time a child banged the spoons on the table or tray I would tell them it was bad manners, the second I would feed them myself, the third I would remove them from the table.

Comment

The only time I use disposable items, is when we do a picnic. Then I always use disposable everything!!

Comment

plates

Originally posted by momma2girls View Post
                      I use all real plates, silverware, and cups as well. I have all character plates, cups, and silverware. The children just love to see which one they have that day. I have cars, barbie, lion king, my little pony, hello kitty, spiderman, and more!!
                      where do you get the dishes for a reasonable price

Comment

Ikea dishes and toddler silverware from garage sales. Cloth napkins, wipes and towels, too. I repurpose old t-shirts and flannel baby blankets for the napkins and wipes.
                        MnMum married to DH 9 years
                        Mum to Girl 21, Girl 18, Boy 14.5, Boy 11

Comment

Ikea plates and bowls, cups for the big ones. I use cheap, cheap cups from Walmart with the straw built into the side for water. Everyone has their own color.

I will use paper if I'm feeling particularly lazy and can use the super cheap paper plates without them becoming a mess and soggy.

Comment

I use paper a lot when doing prep, grilled cheese, cutting up fish sticks, cooling veggies. I have all littles, so a lot of theirs is just put on the booster chair tray. When I use dishes, I have all plastic, tri divided plates, suction bowls and kids styled "real" plastic spoons and sporks. We are all still at the sippy cup stage.

Comment

I don't use paper products for meals. Just dishes and kiddy cups.. silverware.
                              http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I bought service for 12 from IKEA in the children's dept. $1.99 for 6 of everything. Covers me for the whole day. I also will buy paper plates when on sale at $.99 for 150, then I use them.

Comment

Working...
                                X