Trying To Be Nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The DCD is the birth father but is on disability and has been declared unable to tend to the children. (so they say)

As for the food once I cook it if they don't eat it it's garbage. I am not allowed to reheat any leftovers by order of our food program. I tried to dispute the food issue in class and they said it's for food safety what ever is not eaten during the meal must be discarded. So that's the problem with cooking the food otherwise I wouldn't have a problem to begin with.
    I didn't realize that the food program rules are different. I thought because the money comes from the federal govt. that the rules were the same. I'm on the food program and if I make hamburgers for dinner and have leftovers that what's for lunch the next day. My rep know this and we have talked about how it helps save time and money.

Comment

I would send the left overs with my husband for his lunch. (so assume the children will be there)

I would raise my rates on this family since you are NOW feeding them an additional meal and have them longer hours. ( I would just assume that she will be there at closing time)

I would really wonder about that dad being able to pick up the children if he is "not able to provide proper care for the children." If something were to happen with the children in his care could you be held liable for dismissing them to his custody?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The DCD is the birth father but is on disability and has been declared unable to tend to the children. (so they say)

As for the food once I cook it if they don't eat it it's garbage. I am not allowed to reheat any leftovers by order of our food program. I tried to dispute the food issue in class and they said it's for food safety what ever is not eaten during the meal must be discarded. So that's the problem with cooking the food otherwise I wouldn't have a problem to begin with.
        Whatever not eaten that has already been served to the child can't be reheated.

I make food up in advance all the time. We are having black bean-brown rice stew today with white peach sauce for desert. I put the peaches up last fall and made the stew about three weeks ago.

How could we make food up in advance if it can't be stored and reheated?
        http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
          How could we make food up in advance if it can't be stored and reheated?
          I was wondering the same thing. When I was on the food program I would (and still do) prepare everything in advance and just reheat it. I would always make extra, usually enough for 2 days or more of servings. I know that here once we served it and they didn't eat it then we couldn't pack it up and serve it again on another day etc. or toss it back in with the original batch (which makes sense for sanitary reasons).

I have a DCB that I never really know what time he's being picked up because his parents get out early alot so they pick him up so I make enough for everyone and wait and see how many kids I have right before mealtimes and serve the plates THEN heat them and pop the container back in the fridge or freeze it for another day. I think with our food program (USDA) as long as you are not heating the entire batch and reheating it again another day it's fine, and as long as you aren't serving from a batch and then putting leftover served food back into it it's also fine. You may want to call and double check. Seems like a BIG waste of food to me.

Comment

I agree, I thought the food program was sort of universal since all of them follow the USDA guidelines and all....I would check to make sure.

Another solution would be to have mom pack and send the kids their own supper so if they are present then you can give their lunches ot them and if they get picked up before supper, send the packed lunches backhome wiht them. With mom's screwy schedule, I can see why this is hard.

Personally, I would just plan for them to be there everyday and if not then oh, well. Such is life. What are you cooking that 2 extra kids make that big of a difference?

Comment

sorry i didn't read all the posts, but i always make extra large meals, so we have left overs. left overs then become lunch the next day or the day after.

you could make enough so that if the kids are there, then there is enough, and if not, then it's lunch another day?

Comment

With our food program we are allowed to serve left overs but they have to be labled and stored in a seperate refrigerator! They also are not allowed to be served after 3 days from the label date. Also, we are not allowed to serve anything we have canned ourselves so Nannyde your peach sauce wouldn't be allowed here. I think the rules are state by state.
                Each day is a fresh start
                Never look back on regrets
                Live life to the fullest
                We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                  With our food program we are allowed to serve left overs but they have to be labled and stored in a seperate refrigerator! They also are not allowed to be served after 3 days from the label date. Also, we are not allowed to serve anything we have canned ourselves so Nannyde your peach sauce wouldn't be allowed here. I think the rules are state by state.
                  We aren't allow any form of self-canned food either. But Nannyde's food sounds so yummy! Just wouldn't be allowed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                    Also, we are not allowed to serve anything we have canned ourselves so Nannyde your peach sauce wouldn't be allowed here. I think the rules are state by state.
                    I don't can. I freeze.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Working...
                    X