Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Pay for Daycare - What Do you Charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-How much do i charge for full time? Part time?
    That depends on a lot of things such as what state, city and part of a city you are living in. Will your business be located in a low, middle or upper class neighborhood? What type of services will you provide? Will your daycare be in high demand? Will you offer a curiculum? Melas? Field trips? etc. There are so many variables to consider so this is not a question easily answered.

-How does the average day go?
    Well that depends on what type of a program you choose to provide. Typically most programs consist of 2 main meals (breakfast and lunch) and 2 snacks (morning and evening) and a nap time. During the time in between you can schedule activities, walks and outings and both indoor and outdoor free play. The type of schedule you choose is based on what you want to do with the kids.

-What kind of activities do you do for the children?
    Paint, color, draw, read, sing, etc.

-Do you have to do any kind of schooling?
    *if so, How long? What classes?

In my state (CA) we are not required to have any formal type of schooling to become a licensed child care home however it's to your advantage if you take at least some courses in child development. We are however required to be current in CPR, first aid and preventative health and safety paractices. This costs about $100-$150 and is a weekend course every 2 years for me given by the American Red Cross.

-What is the greatest amount of kids one person can take in?
    hat depend on the type of license you have and your states regulations. In CA a small family childcare home can have 6 kids (8 if 2 of them are in Kinder and 1st grade or older). A large family childcare license allows you to have 12 kids (14 if 2 of them are in kinder or 1st grade or older) and if you have an assistant. If you only care for family members in my state you can care for as many as you want to and not have to be licensed. If you are unlicensed you can only care for 1 families children but as long as they are all siblings you don't have a max cap.

-How much do you make a year?
    I currently regularly care for 5 daycare children and my own 2 kids. I average about $40,000 a year including drop-ins.

-Are you able to charge them extra for providing food?
    Yes, you can do whatever you choose to do. However it is common practice to include the cost of meals into your regular rates.

-How long did it take for your business to get started?
    It took me a full 2 years before I was finally comfortable financially and didn't have to worry about a client leaving. I still made enough with the other children to cover for a lost child.

-What are the in-home requirements?
    This varies from state to state and there are a lot of requirements. The best thing to do it to check with your local licensing office for these. Sometimes you can get this info online.

-How do you spread the word about your new daycare?
    I do several things all at once. The home page of Daycare.com has a few of the ways that I advertise my daycare.
    How to advertise your daycare

-What is the best state to live in to start this business?
    This is a hard one as I don't know.

Comment

Texas

1 child (M-F 8:00am-5:00pm) $145.00
      2 children (M-F 8:00am-5:00pm) $137.75

Comment

Western Mass. 30$ a day or 150$ a week. Sibling discount is 5$ a day off the second child so 275 a week for two.

Comment

Be careful

Do any of you relize it is illegal for us to discuss fees? According to Tom Copeland it is like price fixing.

My advice, not a good idea to do it online!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Do any of you relize it is illegal for us to discuss fees? According to Tom Copeland it is like price fixing.

My advice, not a good idea to do it online!
            It would be price-fixing and illegal if we were all DIRECT competition with each other which NONE of us are.

Discussing how much we charge, and how, with providers we have never met, do not compete with or know their names is harmless IMPO.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
              It would be price-fixing and illegal if we were all DIRECT competition with each other which NONE of us are.

Discussing how much we charge, and how, with providers we have never met, do not compete with or know their names is harmless IMPO.
              heheheheheh I love you!!

im in SF bay area in CA

I charge for full time 225 week
              part time is 50 day x # of days child attends.

Comment

I'm in central Florida. I offer organic foods as well as homemade meals. An exceptional program. I charge $50/day for part time and $200/week for full time. Before and after school is $25/day with meals,snacks, drinks included till 6pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  I'm in central Florida. I offer organic foods as well as homemade meals. An exceptional program. I charge $50/day for part time and $200/week for full time. Before and after school is $25/day with meals,snacks, drinks included till 6pm.
                  This is a very old threat so I doubt the other prices are accurate anymore

Comment

I'm in a suburb of So. Calf. Infants and toddlers and FT & PT are different pay rates. Currently I charge $250/w for infants FT. Older toddlers are $175/w FT.

Comment

Sliding Scale?

Does anyone offer sliding scale rates based on the parents' income?

Comment

No, I don't offer a sliding scale. I called the city twice to ask about getting into the low-income program, but they haven't responded. I can only take 4 kids right now, since I'm not licensed but operating in compliance with state regs. I've called THAT office twice and they apparently have no intention of licensing anybody this summer. They have no projected date for the next orientation session.

I am in the center of Chattanooga, TN--it's a moderately-sized, up-and-coming city. I provide lunch and two snacks.

$140/week for any times between 7am and 5:30pm.
                        10% off for siblings--so, $125/week when there's more than one kid enrolled. I have a sibling pair right now.

$5/hour per child, $35 max per day, for part-time/drop-in care. I have a regular child right now whose dad is taking night classes, so we use the $140 base rate and add $5/hour those evenings that he picks up late.

BUT--$1/minute per child if pick up is later than what's in our agreement!

Comment

Originally posted by Pestle View Post
                          No, I don't offer a sliding scale. I called the city twice to ask about getting into the low-income program, but they haven't responded. I can only take 4 kids right now, since I'm not licensed but operating in compliance with state regs. I've called THAT office twice and they apparently have no intention of licensing anybody this summer. They have no projected date for the next orientation session.

I am in the center of Chattanooga, TN--it's a moderately-sized, up-and-coming city. I provide lunch and two snacks.

$140/week for any times between 7am and 5:30pm.
                          10% off for siblings--so, $125/week when there's more than one kid enrolled. I have a sibling pair right now.

$5/hour per child, $35 max per day, for part-time/drop-in care. I have a regular child right now whose dad is taking night classes, so we use the $140 base rate and add $5/hour those evenings that he picks up late.

BUT--$1/minute per child if pick up is later than what's in our agreement!
                          Being Licensed exempt, the only way you can take Families First is if a parent receiving the Voucher picks you for care, then you have to give the parent your name , address , SS # (written) and then once they turn it into their worker, the county comes out to inspect the home, to make sure you have CPR training and such.

I gave up even taking the darn things 2 years ago because too many parents complained about paying the difference, which way more than if they take the voucher to a licensed provider. Highest amount of reimbursement is $70 per week for licensed exempt and that is only in the 20 highest pay counties like yours and mine (amount hasn't changed in years). heres the County Caps for TN (I'm in Blount); http://www.tennessee.gov/assets/enti...le_10-1-15.pdf

Comment

Day care rates

Hi i just found this forum searching google. Im going to hire my cousin to watch my son while i work. It will be 4-6 hrs a day monday through thurs. My son is 2 years old and she will be watching him at my house. I want to make sure the pay is fair. Also i live in a rural area in southern oregon. Any advice os appreciated. I do plan on doing more research and asking other places around where we live. But i would love for some feedback. Thank you all so much

Comment

Originally posted by Necia View Post
                              Hi i just found this forum searching google. Im going to hire my cousin to watch my son while i work. It will be 4-6 hrs a day monday through thurs. My son is 2 years old and she will be watching him at my house. I want to make sure the pay is fair. Also i live in a rural area in southern oregon. Any advice os appreciated. I do plan on doing more research and asking other places around where we live. But i would love for some feedback. Thank you all so much
                              Well usually when someone comes into your home, that makes them a nanny. So, you have to pay at least Min. wage, pay in their federal and state taxes, pay in workers comp and unemployment taxes. So I would start with your states min. wage, and probably pay more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
                                Being Licensed exempt, the only way you can take Families First is if a parent receiving the Voucher picks you for care, then you have to give the parent your name , address , SS # (written) and then once they turn it into their worker, the county comes out to inspect the home, to make sure you have CPR training and such.

I gave up even taking the darn things 2 years ago because too many parents complained about paying the difference, which way more than if they take the voucher to a licensed provider. Highest amount of reimbursement is $70 per week for licensed exempt and that is only in the 20 highest pay counties like yours and mine (amount hasn't changed in years). heres the County Caps for TN (I'm in Blount); http://www.tennessee.gov/assets/enti...le_10-1-15.pdf
                                Wow--you answered the questions that the local office wouldn't answer! ::

Comment

Working...
                                X