Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanting To Close A Little Early (Help With Wording) PLEASE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting To Close A Little Early (Help With Wording) PLEASE!!!

So, my dd wants to take lessons in her sport during the summer and the nearest place is about 45 minutes away. I don't mind driving her there at all (I have no one else to help out with this) but it would require me closing 15 minutes earlier than normal for 8 weeks this summer. Most of my families are here and gone before I would need to leave but I have a few that run errands, go home and clean up, etc. before coming to get the kids.

So, can I tell them I need to close 15 minutes early for those 8 weeks and if so, how do I word it? My families pay weekly tuition, not hourly. I don't want to tick anyone off but am frustrated because I have no other way to get my dd to her practices that she really wants. I know I chose this job and understood the ramifications but now my kids are getting older and are getting screwed. All of the other parents take time off left and right for their kids.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for your help and ideas.

Would it be every day?

Comment

Nope, only 8 days total from first week in July to last week in August and all on Thursdays so at least it is consistent.

Comment

I did something similiar with my son for his soccer practices. I just put up a note on my door that said beginning the week of X, I will be closing at 5:00 instead of 5:15 on Monday and Wednesday. I had nobody complain, I left the note up the whole soccer season and it worked out fine. I'm a firm believer in MY FAMILY first and my DS shouldn't suffer because I chose this job. It's only 15 minutes, and esp. if your parents are off work and just running errands. IMO, they should have be taking their kids for those errands anyway, but I'm sure they can adjust for 8 weeks. I say do it! I don't think we'll ever be sorry for spending time with/for our kids.

Comment

I like that idea- I agree to tell them with plenty of warning, post a note, etc. You could offer to open 15 min earlier that day if a parent would need to get a certain number of hours in at work. But not necessary.

Comment

tell them just like you told us..

Dear parents,

My daughter will be taking private lessons this summer and will require for me to close the day care 15 mintues earlier than normal on the following days. Please be sure to arrange your schedules to pick up your children on time these 8 days.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please feel free to call me.

Thank you,

Comment

Originally posted by MARSTELAC View Post
              Nope, only 8 days total from first week in July to last week in August and all on Thursdays so at least it is consistent.
              I would send a note to families saying that you would be closing 30 min early on xyz dates due to a temporary family obligation. That you are sorry for the inconvenience and will do so unpaid, divide your weekly fee by 5 then by however hours they are in care each day and divide by half. Credit them that much. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
                I would send a note to families saying that you would be closing 30 min early on xyz dates due to a temporary family obligation. That you are sorry for the inconvenience and will do so unpaid, divide your weekly fee by 5 then by however hours they are in care each day and divide by half. Credit them that much. Good luck.
                It's 15 minutes... for 8 days. That's only 2 hours total. I wouldn't credit anything. Esp. since you said they are all usually gone, and just run errands. They can run errands the other days in those 8 weeks, right?

Comment

I have learned to never offer a credit first... always tell them what you need with plenty of advance notice... Offer them to come to you if there is an issue with your request. Then and only then if they have an issue with it offer a credit to please them...

I only offer credit up front if it is less than a 48 hour notice..

Comment

you decide what you need, no credits, no apologies, no wiggle room on them showing up late. Its only 8 days and only 15 minutes. I would stress that they need to be here at this time and out the door at this time. You don't want them rolling up "early" but taking those extra 15 minutes just to get out the door.

As a final option, do you have anyone that can come and do the last 30 minutes of care on those 8 days? a friend, relative or anyone that could help out? then just let the parents know the plan. They can pick up early if they don't like that option or the child can remain with whoever you feel is capable of helping out a bit.

Comment

You guys are awesome.

Thanks so much for all of the ideas. I get so worked up about stuff. I never take any time off (only one sick day in the last 3.5 years and I wouldn't have even taken that if I could've stayed out of the bathroom!!!). I am sick of my kids missing things and of me missing their concerts, etc. I even missed an important funeral that I shouldn't have. I am trying to get better at this.

I will send home a note today and let you all know how it turns out.
                      Hugs,
                      Me

Comment

Originally posted by WDW View Post
                        It's 15 minutes... for 8 days. That's only 2 hours total. I wouldn't credit anything. Esp. since you said they are all usually gone, and just run errands. They can run errands the other days in those 8 weeks, right?
                        I would do 30 because honestly, can dc parents tell time? Gives you a nice window. I do refund. They seem to respond better and most people lose pay by clocking out early. Which is what you are doing. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

good for you. I just close when I need to and thats that. I used to be more worried about this or that and ended up missing stuff and having regrets about decisions I made. Not anymore. Now I am happier and my family is and that is more important to me than a random parent getting annoyed because they might have to watch their own kid for an extra 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
                            I would do 30 because honestly, can dc parents tell time? Gives you a nice window. I do refund. They seem to respond better and most people lose pay by clocking out early. Which is what you are doing. Let us know how it goes.
                            I just think it's a dangerous game to start crediting for 15 minutes. They start expecting things all the time if you do them once. Next they will pick up 15 min. early for their reasons, and want a credit for that too. Just my experience.

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
                            good for you. I just close when I need to and thats that. I used to be more worried about this or that and ended up missing stuff and having regrets about decisions I made. Not anymore. Now I am happier and my family is and that is more important to me than a random parent getting annoyed because they might have to watch their own kid for an extra 15 minutes.
                            I agree with you completely. I have learned that doing what I need to for my family feels the best, and I have had surprisingly little complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
                              most of my parents could swing a drop of the hat day off or time off if needed. But i do have two DCF that couldn't. i have a mom that has to work 2 hours away 2 days a week and there is NO way she could leave her job early to come get her child. She is a single mom and has no help.

I feel that I have to be considerate of everyones work schedule when making the decisions to close early or close for the day. This is why I always give as much notice as possible and try to work with everyones schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X