Teachers Kids/Summer Break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers Kids/Summer Break

This summer I will be dealing with multiple teachers wanting to reduce their days for the summer thus also reducing their fees.

What does everyone here do?? Do you give a break for the summer?

I was thinking of giving them a set holding fee per week and with this they can have X amount of hours each week if they want or need to use them.

Thoughts? What works for you??

Originally posted by MN Day Mom View Post
    This summer I will be dealing with multiple teachers wanting to reduce their days for the summer thus also reducing their fees.

What does everyone here do?? Do you give a break for the summer?

I was thinking of giving them a set holding fee per week and with this they can have X amount of hours each week if they want or need to use them.

Thoughts? What works for you??
    I have teachers and I don't offer anything different for them than I do my other parents. Most of them will use the extended leave policy, which is half pay for one month. They can also use up to 5 days of free vacation days for each year that they have been here. I also give 3 sick days for each child each year.

Once they have used all of that up, there are no more discounts. So, if they leave their spot (has happened once) I can't promise that it will be here when they get back.

Comment

I am in the same boat....I have almost all teacher's kids.....but most of them are new, so I didn't save up all year for my low summer! I am going to muddle through this summer but next summer I will have new policies in place. They will have to pay for a minimum of 2 days per week at part time rate. That would end up equaling 1/2 of what they pay now.

For this summer....I gave them these options. All but one will require contracted days:

drop in: $30 per day....not contracted days
      2 days per week: $50
      3 days per week: $75
      4-5 day per week $100

I am also offering a part time preschool program.....7:30-1:00:
      2 days : $40
      3 days: $60
      4-5 days: $80

Comment

Teachers around here do not like to pay for time their kids aren't in care. So I figure out my yearly fee and divided it by how ever many weeks they will be in care. So teachers pay more during the school year then my year around kids. They all have their salary paid yearly so they don't have to go without a paycheck in the summer, but I have not had one that wants to pay for christmas break, spring break or the summer.

Comment

I have in place a fee plan that is 1/2 rate for maternity leaves, leave of absence. They can bring their child 2 days per week for that rate. If it is less than full time family, I offer 1/2 rate but 1 days per week to bring them.

I don't offer non payment for their Christmas or Spring break. Pay whether here or not.

The idea of a higher rate thru the school year could work too, but I still would not offer non payment of the breaks.

Comment

I do not offer breaks to families who have part of the year off. They can pay for their spots or not. If they don't pay to hold the spot, they are essentially giving the space up because if I allow a teacher to get a break for their situation, then I need to allow people who don't work because of the weather, and people who are only on-call, or those who have all sorts of different situations get a break...pretty soon everyone will be getting a break and I will be losing an paycheck...can't do it.

If you have a weird job/schedule/break/situation...it is your problem to deal with it not mine. I am a childcare business that is for profit and I have specific hours of service and if you want those hours, pay for them and they are yours.

Comment

I'm thinking I will give them a couple options to choose from...

Set days of 2 or 3 days with a set amount.... or they can continue to pay full rate and come as they wish. I know one of them will be doing some part time days with summer school so she will need some days. I want all the kids to come some days each week just to keep up with my routine and rules.

Comment

I have a holding fee of $50.00/wk and they can bring in their little ones for up to two days if they wish (any of the open hours).

Comment

This is what I have thanks to the help of people here:

EXTENDED LEAVE/MATERNITY LEAVE/SUMMER LEAVE
                  If you request a leave of absence for more than two weeks, you will be required to pay a part time rate of at least two days per week for up to 12 weeks. Your child may attend during this time any two consistent days that work for both of us. If a holiday falls on one of your days, you will be required to pay for that holiday. You may pay for additional days at the part time rate if space is available. After 12 weeks, full tuition is required

Comment

Originally posted by bgmeyers View Post
                    This is what I have thanks to the help of people here:

EXTENDED LEAVE/MATERNITY LEAVE/SUMMER LEAVE
                    If you request a leave of absence for more than two weeks, you will be required to pay a part time rate of at least two days per week for up to 12 weeks. Your child may attend during this time any two consistent days that work for both of us. If a holiday falls on one of your days, you will be required to pay for that holiday. You may pay for additional days at the part time rate if space is available. After 12 weeks, full tuition is required
                    I like this.

I have noticed some people have ridiculously low holding fees, and while I understand it's income still, and that it's just to secure the spot, it's so low.

I choose for my holding fee to be 50% of regular fees, and even that is a pretty darn good discount. some people only ask for like $40/week and I don't think that's right. Personally I agree with what some have stated above, take the chance and not pay but you may not have a spot to come back to. OR pay the regular rates, and keep your spot, use it as you will.

I would never offer a teacher a free summer. Maybe a discounted rate to hold it, but I'd probably try and fill it temporarily while they are not using it as well.

I rely on my income, and to have to go 2 or 3 months without it, would be ridiculous.

Teachers are paid for the months they are not teaching in one lump sum. So they can learn to budget accordingly. And they should be pros at budgeting and should completely understand your need for budgeting as well

Comment

Most of the time I can line up a school ager to take their spot so I don't lose out on too much income.

If I can't, I charge either $100/month to hold the spot, or offer them to come 2 days a week at the daily rate. I've had parents do either. I know the $100/month is a big loss, but I also feel it's nice to have less kids during the summer when I can.

:confused::: (dd wanted the smilies)

Comment

Originally posted by daysofelijah View Post
                        :confused::: (dd wanted the smilies)
                        good job! ::::

Comment

For the extended leave, do you have it written as part of your contract or a separate contract? How would you keep track of how many weeks they were at and what days both of you agreed upon if it is not a separate contract? Do you ask for the parents to give a written request to keep it with the extended leave contract?

Comment

My teachers can go down to 3 days per week minimum (they would be SET days per week and they could attend or not attend) and only for July and August. Our school year goes through the last week of June, so it would end up being about 8 or 9 weeks, one of which is my vacation so it's not too bad.

Comment

Those of you that charge half rate for them over the summer, do you still full the spot with drop ins if the child isn't going to be there?

Comment

Working...
                              X