Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nannyde I Have A Question For You....Others I Want Your Thoughts Too..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nannyde I Have A Question For You....Others I Want Your Thoughts Too..

a while back there was question about new parents coming into the day care to observe your program and to see how the provider interacts with the children and vice versa...

I agree with you that I don't want parents I don't know around the children, and for other reasons as well that you stated I could not agree with you more...

However, I was watching the news about the texas home daycare fire and went to the list of things that parents should do when searching for a daycare. One of the things at the top of the list was to visit the childcare home and observe the provider with the children. To see how the environment is, the mood of the children in care, as well as how the provider handles the children..

What is your take on this??

My take on it is that they can observe me with their child and with my own during the interview...those usually drag on long enough that they get a good look at how things are. My own kid (3 yo) tends to give me PLENTY of opportunities to show how I handle different types of situations (whining, misbehaving, needing snuggles, etc), and I do my best to get in a bunch of interacting with the prospective child as well. If that, along with the questions they ask me, doesn't give them a good impression of my dealings with kids, then they probably aren't a good fit anyway.
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

I would feel uncomfortable with an appointment for them to come SOLELY for the purpose of watching me. Ick. I hate when my husband stands there and watches me brush my teeth for heaven's sake!!

However, I do my interviews during daycare time, so they see everything there is to see while we're talking. I have no problem with that at all. I don't understand the whole secret daycare room that no adult shall ever enter (other than yourself). To each their own I suppose. JMHO.

Comment

I know others disagree, but if I were a dcp, I would want to visit during dayhome hours too. I insist the that the first interview be outside of dayhome hours, but that if they want to return to come and meet some of the other children, and hang out for a bit, they are welcome to. Most of my parents have not done this, but one or two have, and it has made them so much more comfortable about leaving their child with a stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
          a while back there was question about new parents coming into the day care to observe your program and to see how the provider interacts with the children and vice versa...

I agree with you that I don't want parents I don't know around the children, and for other reasons as well that you stated I could not agree with you more...

However, I was watching the news about the texas home daycare fire and went to the list of things that parents should do when searching for a daycare. One of the things at the top of the list was to visit the childcare home and observe the provider with the children. To see how the environment is, the mood of the children in care, as well as how the provider handles the children..

What is your take on this??
          I would allow parents to do this but NOT at the initial interview! After I meet the family and IF I decide that I like them and am comfortable with them THEN I'll allow them to come back to observe if they want. I would pick the day, and time that is most convenient for ME and tell them they can come then. I would limit the visit to a maximum of 1 hour. I would let them know in advance that the children behave differently when we have a "visitor" so they may or may not "see" whatever they are "looking" for

In the fire case though, I don't think it would have made much of a difference. Looks like at least a couple of the parents trusted her and believed that she loved and cared for their kids and the kids seemed to be happy there as well.

ETA, I've had parents ASK if I would allow an observation visit but never had one actually DO it.

Comment

I know that there is nothing that we can do to keep our own children 100% safe no matter what we do, where we go, or who we leave them with. I guess I am just wondering if it is fair to allow the parents to see your program during business hours.

I feel that if you do, it wont reflect the "real" views of your program, but it may put their mind at ease???

Comment

My interviews almost always occur around 4:00, with about half of my children here. This way, the parents can see me in action with children. They need to know if my style of care is what best meets the needs of their child. I do however have my husband here as he works with me.

I have had parents who are interested in enrolling bring their kids and stay to observe for over an hour while I work with the whole group, as well as including their child in play and activities. They have always enrolled with me.

I want parents to see my entire program, know how I work and what we do during the day.

Comment

My clients wouldn't feel comfortable having an adult with their children that they didn't know so I don't do observations like that.

If you have a client base that would allow it.... kids that can tolerate it without acting up... and feel comfortable being observed then I would encourage you to offer it.

I have none of those characteristics so I don't. If it is something the parents value in their child care provider I wouldn't be a good fit.
                http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by ammama View Post
                  I know others disagree, but if I were a dcp, I would want to visit during dayhome hours too. I insist the that the first interview be outside of dayhome hours, but that if they want to return to come and meet some of the other children, and hang out for a bit, they are welcome to. Most of my parents have not done this, but one or two have, and it has made them so much more comfortable about leaving their child with a stranger.
                  Yes

I do three interviews for a total of about five hours. The parents are very comfortable before they start. I think it's really important to have TIME with them over the course of a few weeks before they start.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

My opinion

I don't do interviews during daycare hours and the only way that I would be willing to be observed by a potential client would be if it were set up enough in advance so that I could let my other daycare parents know that it would be happening. I'm not a fan of letting people that I don't know in my home during daycare hours for tours. Also, my daycare parents are paying me to provide daycare for their children, not give tours and answer questions for people who are looking for daycare.

I had a tour last week and the mom asked if I offered a free trial period, and I was like "No, I don't." She wanted me to give her 2 free days of daycare for her kids so that she could see if it would work out. I said no and then she asked for just 1 day free and I said no. She said that she didn't want to pay for daycare if it wasn't going to work out. I then told her that if she wanted to observe my interaction skills with her kids and the other kids, she was more than willing to come for an hour on Tues. and I wouldn't charge for that, but she would have to stay with her kids and take them when she left after the hour on Tues.

I understand that parents want to make sure that they are making the best choice for their kids. I really do. I just think that observing a provider with the kids isn't neccessarily going to give the parents what they are looking for.

Comment

New clients interview alone, after hours, and only when DH is home. To me it is common sense. Risk Management, even.

I gave my clients my word that I would move heaven and earth to keep their child safe. IMHO, controlling who enters my home is one of the ways to do that.

I have no assistant, a couple toddlers and a few helpless infants. How many could you carry in your arms and run to safety alone, YKWIM?

Police have a 15 minute ETA and 11 minutes for an ambulance, not calculating in time to make that phone call.

Current clients that "drop-in early" are welcome, but must take their child with them when they leave AND will not be allowed to disrupt the other children.

I am legally required to let them in at any time their child is in care.

I am not legally required to keep their confused and upset child once they leave...
                      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

As a in home daycare provider, I do a couple of interviews w/my parents. First one being through email or phone call. So that we can both get a feel for one another. You'll be amazed as to talking to someone and knowing right off it wouldn't work out with that parent based on there attitude. Then I set up a time for after hrs. That allows me time to pick up and clean up before they come. Then we have a couple hrs of sit down with me and my family..husband and kids involved. I want them to see my home and the way set as well as interaction with my family. I tell them way up front that I am strict and not just w/ my kids but with my daycare kids. Bc if they are looking to pamper or coddle or specialize there child that wouldn't work for me as I have a group setting and there all treated the same. That doesn't however mean that these parents don't try to pull things or try to get by me some how!! !! I will not under any circumstances allow prospective clients to come during daycare hrs. I have 4 little ones under the age of 2. I can not be watching my little peanuts completly when I am answering questions or explaining how I run my childcare. One of the things I pride my self on is safety. My little ones come first always. My house is gated so no one may enter. Each parent has there own key to enter into my home through the gate and I still lock my doors. My parents appreciate this. I would never jeopardize that by allowing strangers in my home. It only takes that one time for something awful to happen. I just could not take that chance. None of my clients have asked to observe. I do have parents that drop in late or early and either pick up early. They each have there set times and if they want to come early they must text message me or call me that they are doing so. But, as I say this I have a parent who continues not to do this and we will be having a sit down...but I am off the subject...as I been saying... They parents only get 10min of my time so I can go over there day and my "Daily report" that I do for them each day. That is enough time to get all that out and get there children dressed and out the door. I must admit though...sometimes these parents talk way to much and I need to be more firm on getting them out the door. These kids don't want to stand around waiting to leave so that there parents just linger with out reason too.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                          Yes

I do three interviews for a total of about five hours. The parents are very comfortable before they start. I think it's really important to have TIME with them over the course of a few weeks before they start.
                          yeah, it's true - it could be just as much that they are getting to spend more time with me, and that time not necessarily be during dayhome hours. I know my kids - and they are used to having people drop in (my agency consultant once per month, and several friends/moms in the neighbourhood who we regularly have playdates with). My dcp's are also ok with it, but I do not allow it for the first visit so that I can get a feel for them first.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce View Post
                            I would feel uncomfortable with an appointment for them to come SOLELY for the purpose of watching me. Ick. I hate when my husband stands there and watches me brush my teeth for heaven's sake!!

However, I do my interviews during daycare time, so they see everything there is to see while we're talking. I have no problem with that at all. I don't understand the whole secret daycare room that no adult shall ever enter (other than yourself). To each their own I suppose. JMHO.

I started doing this too. I found that I was getting way too many "no shows" that I was wasting my time and my families. So now I do interviews during daycare hours. Not only do they get to see the kids, but when their children cry that they want to stay and play its usually a done deal.
                            There is no way in h@ll that I want a parent to stand and observe me all day, I'm not a drop in center.

Comment

There's no way I'm letting any prospective family into the daycare during business hours. If they insist, I remind them of the initial 2 week 'trial period' once they sign the agreement/enroll...although I haven't had anyone really push that issue about observation.

Even if my DH was home AND I had an assistant, I still wouldn't offer observation to strangers. The kids tend to act up when ANY of the dcps arrive for pick up/drop off so there's no way that "observing" would be helpful.

If I were a DCP, I would absolutely grill the provider, meet their family, tour their daycare space, examine how they interacted with my child, and made a decision about leaving my child based on those things (and of course my gut!).

There's no such thing as a fly on the wall in childcare.

Comment

Working...
                              X